PDA

View Full Version : 7-14 adapter for filters

MargaretR
24th July 2015, 09:19 AM
Interesting article (http://www.43rumors.com/thats-cool-3d-printed-prototypes-of-adapter-ring-for-lee-100mm-system-for-mzd-714/) ... people are starting to figure a way round the "can't use filters on the 7-14 Pro", although only for Square filters in this instance. I think I'll be waiting until someone get this right before taking the plunge!

Enzojz
24th July 2015, 12:42 PM
Hello,

I am the author of this adapter.

Thank you for your interest in it. I am looking for beta-tester of it :) So the adapter is working well according to my tests, I can not guarantee but I think in most of cases there will be no problem.

You can have up to 2 filters-on with little dark edge(yes, a little, which you can get them away by post processing).

The adapter itself is almost final, I haven't see any improvement over the design, except get more beta-tester to see the stability of the size and the vending process(yes, it's not only a 3d printing, also come with some foam to seal the end).

To get rid of the dark edge, I am working on my own slot for 7-14mm. The first prototype has failed, I am waiting for the 2nd design.

Graham_of_Rainham
24th July 2015, 04:57 PM
I remember seeing something about Mark Thackara talking to Lee Filters about the development of a system for the m.Zuiko 7-14 f/2.8

Can't remember where I saw it :o

David M
24th July 2015, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath Graham. Lee were looking at a holder for the 4/3 7-14 but it never happened. To late now with so many filter holder options out there.

Loup Garou
25th November 2015, 09:31 AM
I am about to invest in the Olympus Zuiko 7-14mm F2.8 PRO and am interested in a quality filter. I know that modern digital camera sensors are not affected by UV rays like film can but my concern is protection of the convex outer element of the expensive lens. I know a lens cap comes as standard but it is going to be cumbersome keeping the cap on till it is time to click and then shove it in the pocket. There is a risk of losing the cap that way.

As long as the quality of light coming into the dome is not affected, I would be on the lookout for a snugly fitting protector filter /adapter.

Enzojz
25th November 2015, 09:52 AM
Hello,

I suggest you not looking for a protective filter for 7-14mm.

First the diameter needed will be > 95mm.

Second you need a thread adapter for this lens, which is non-existing (well, there's one in my computer, but I don't if it works)

Third, you know the structure of the lens, you will find no need to buy a protective filter. The lens goes very inside at 14mm, which is sufficient to protect itself.

Forth, from my usage of current 7-14 and the old one, the first element seems already well treated and hard enough. They more resistant than normally lens.

Fifth, putting a protective filter before a UWA lens will reduce the light coming from sides, since the reflection rate increase with the angle between the light and glass, and the effect of coating reduces with it. You buy a f2.8 bright lens, but putting a filter will make it a f4 lens for the edge.

Loup Garou
25th November 2015, 01:00 PM
OK, thanks. What then might be a good idea is for JJC or someone similar to make a neoprene lens boot like they have with some other sizes. This will be cheap, extremely light and easier to shove into a pocket before shooting than a large lens cap. I would still have the original cap while storing the lens while not in use.

When it comes to optics, I have always been a bit paranoid in looking after them to the extent that most of my old and well used lenses look quite new. When not in use I place the lens in its own case and then the case in the padded compartment of a camera bag. This usually means that I end up with a larger camera bag than most normal people have for the same equipment.