PDA

View Full Version : My silly question of the night... (after a bottle of wine)

theMusicMan
27th November 2008, 10:52 PM
Ok folks, so this might be a silly qn, but I can't remember how to get a 10 min exposure image out of my E-3. If on manual, the min shutter speed is 60 seconds, on bulb, I don't want to have to hold the shutter open for 10 mins!

I have an IR release, but this doesn't seem to activate the E-3 in BULB mode, only in A or S or P modes (not even in manual).

So... silly qn it might be, is there a way to set the exposure to 10 mins?

John

madasadad
27th November 2008, 10:57 PM
Silly questions after a bottle of wine are entirely acceptable, I've no idea of the answer however! But as a bit of advice, DON'T drink and ebay, it can prove very expensive:rolleyes:

Garrie
27th November 2008, 11:00 PM
I could be wrong (often) but I don't think its possible without a wired remote that allows you to lock the shutter closed when your in bulb mode..

Ian
27th November 2008, 11:19 PM
Ok folks, so this might be a silly qn, but I can't remember how to get a 10 min exposure image out of my E-3. If on manual, the min shutter speed is 60 seconds, on bulb, I don't want to have to hold the shutter open for 10 mins!

I have an IR release, but this doesn't seem to activate the E-3 in BULB mode, only in A or S or P modes (not even in manual).

So... silly qn it might be, is there a way to set the exposure to 10 mins?

John

The answer may be here:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2531

With the ir RM-1 you press the W button to lock open the shutter for a maximum exposure of x minutes according to the BULB Timer setting in the config menu.

Ian

blu-by-u
28th November 2008, 02:27 AM
Question, 10 minutes on an E-3? won't that camera shutdown from a overheated sensor?

Ian
28th November 2008, 07:52 AM
Question, 10 minutes on an E-3? won't that camera shutdown from a overheated sensor?

Actually the bulb timer lets you go to 30 minutes on the E-3.

The camera is engineered for live view and there is a heat sink on the sensor. Dark frame subtraction will filter much of the noise that is a consequence of long exposures.

Ian