PDA

View Full Version : End of year surprise from e-group & Olympus UK

theMusicMan
26th November 2008, 10:27 AM
End of year Surprise from e-group and Olympus UK

Here's a wonderful end of year surprise for all the members here on e-group... from e-group and Olympus UK.

The exciting news is that together with Olympus UK, we are going to provide some prizes for the site member (or members) who have accrued the most points from their entries in the regular e-group challenges we run. I have been keeping a list and have collated a table of the results to-date from all of the challenges; where 1st place = 3 points, 2nd place = 2 points and 3rd place = 1 point. Here's the list of placings from each of the 10 challenges we have run so far, together with the current running order;

List of previous challenge results so far

http://img.skitch.com/20081126-mjtcuu9i14fq4xfbeccgysh7s2.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/johnburns/h2ja/e-group-challenge-league-table-latest.xls)

Current Challenge Table (following end of challenge #10 whose results are included)

http://img.skitch.com/20081126-txpy5ryxi4ugqc7afi2jg9ja5y.jpg

So, we can see that as there are two challenges remaining during 2008, even members who have not yet entered any of the previous challenges to-date have a super chance of being up there in the prizes - which is great because it means everyone here is still in the running for being crowned the first 'e-group challenge winner (2008)'. Ian is presently speaking with Olympus UK to see what goodies they are willing to let us have from their goody-bag as prizes, and though we're not expecting anything as grand as an E-30 on offer, we're sure there will be a few small items made available for us, and so consequently there may be a few prizes on offer (if joint positions or 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc). As soon as we have these details we will of course let you know what they are.

I hope you enjoy this this little piece of news and that it serves as a small incentive to get out with your Olympus cameras, take shots and enter the two remaining challenges we have during 2008. The first is already up and running - see the challenge category for details. So come on everyone... let's see if we can get challenges #11 and #12 to field as many entries as we managed in the excellent DoF challenge #10.

Thanks all... and enjoy... :)

NB: I wish to state at this point that as I am organising the competition, it's not fair that I participate and I feel am not eligible to be included within it - and therefore voluntarily withdraw from the competition and won't be eligible for any prizes or winnings. I will continue to enter the challenges of course, but am happy to voluntarily withdraw from this part of the competition.

PS: for the tekkies - in case you were curious, I use a Pivot Table in an excel sheet to keep the running list of entries.

photo_owl
26th November 2008, 11:52 AM
not be-littling the efforts and contribution from Oly but prizes are generally set out in advance - these would therefore fall more in the category of awards/rewards.

Ian
26th November 2008, 12:17 PM
not be-littling the efforts and contribution from Oly but prizes are generally set out in advance - these would therefore fall more in the category of awards/rewards.

This isn't about the prizes/awards - but a celebration of the efforts of those who have submitted challenge pictures. The idea of some simple prizes is really just the icing on the cake and, I hope, a gesture that will be appreciated.

Ian

snaarman
26th November 2008, 12:26 PM
This isn't about the prizes/awards - but a celebration of the efforts of those who have submitted challenge pictures. The idea of some simple prizes is really just the icing on the cake and, I hope, a gesture that will be appreciated.

Ian

Ooh, a gesture is always appreciated :-)

Pete

ndl0071
26th November 2008, 01:17 PM
Well the gesture is appreciated here,

Now to get head scratching on the current comp:)

Makonde
26th November 2008, 01:19 PM
Quick question: can the person running the month's challenge also enter the challenge that month? I ask because I am running the challenge this fortnight, and assume that means I don't enter myself LOL.

But, as three days out of the fourteen allocated for this challenge have passed without a single entry, it seems there may be a chance to score three easy points!

C'mon, Olympians - all it takes is a visit to the pub, that can't be hard.....

andym
26th November 2008, 01:21 PM
Now to get head scratching on the current comp:)

And me,the only problem is I'm not sure pub crawls and SLR's go together;)

theMusicMan
26th November 2008, 01:22 PM
Of course, you are correct here. But as I only approached Ian with my suggestion this last day, and there were never real plans to to this from the outset, is why Ian is only now approaching Olympus to see what 'award items' they are happy to provide for us.

Correct, but perhaps just a little 'pedantic / splitting hairs' your reply eh photo_owl?

Thanks snaarman, ndl0071 and Andy - now get out there and look for some pubs eh! :)

snaarman
26th November 2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks snaarman, ndl0071 and Andy - now get out there and look for some pubs eh! :)

Yesh eggzhactly *chr

knikki
27th November 2008, 10:29 AM
~goes out looking for a pub~

Souds like a good plan to me *chr

Ellie
27th November 2008, 11:11 PM
Quick question: can the person running the month's challenge also enter the challenge that month? I ask because I am running the challenge this fortnight, and assume that means I don't enter myself LOL.
I don't think the person running the competition usually enters it, I didn't with the one I ran.

I think it could be embarrassing to win a competition if you're running it, counting the votes and announcing the winner.

theMusicMan
28th November 2008, 08:32 AM
Yes, you can enter the challenge, it's only a bit of fun after all. I don't see why winning the previous challenge should disqualify you from entering you the next challenge.

This is another reason why the challenges are anonymous - so the challenge organiser can enter them.

Sorry I didn't make you aware of this Ellie.

Ian
5th December 2008, 11:31 AM
Just received a box of Olympus promotional goodies to give away - nothing exotic, but there are some USB keys, USB pens, collapsible reflectors (very handy), and even some photogaphers waistcoats. :)

Ian

madasadad
5th December 2008, 12:02 PM
First dibbs for Photo Challenge participants?;)

theMusicMan
5th December 2008, 01:05 PM
First dibbs for Photo Challenge participants?;)
First dibbs for the winners as per the league table I have posted... :)

madasadad
5th December 2008, 04:27 PM
It was worth a try!

Ellie
6th December 2008, 12:05 AM
Yes, you can enter the challenge, it's only a bit of fun after all. I don't see why winning the previous challenge should disqualify you from entering you the next challenge.

This is another reason why the challenges are anonymous - so the challenge organiser can enter them.

Doh! http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/1662/doh4jw.gif

No need to apologise John

snaarman
6th December 2008, 09:15 AM

Doh! :)

Pete

Garrie
14th January 2009, 10:10 PM
Doh for me too, the only 1 challenge I won I didn't enter myself, felt it wrong to do so :o

Have the results been announced for this end of year surprise?

theMusicMan
14th January 2009, 10:17 PM
Doh for me too, the only 1 challenge I won I didn't enter myself, felt it wrong to do so :o

Have the results been announced for this end of year surprise?
Have been chocca in work Garrie sorry and haven't found the time to do so. I fully intend to do this during this coming weekend.

Sorry for the delay everyone...

Susan
31st January 2009, 11:12 PM
Hiya

Was just wondering if there had been any update on this?

I know that it was mentioned that I was doing quite well in the league table, but was just curious of the outcome.

Cheers
Susan

theMusicMan
1st February 2009, 07:45 AM
Hiya

Was just wondering if there had been any update on this?

I know that it was mentioned that I was doing quite well in the league table, but was just curious of the outcome.

Cheers
SusanHi Susan

Yep, my bad - been caught up in loads of other stuff. I will get this announced later today, how's that :)

Susan
4th February 2009, 09:27 PM
Hi John

Was just curious as to the results of this?

We're in to Feb now, doesn't seem like anyone else is curious as to the outcome. From reading earlier posts, it sounds like a table/spreadsheet would be able to advise of the outcome?

I know there were a lot of great entries for last years competitions from all members of the e-forum and a 'surprise' from Olympus is nice but not the be all and end all, as I've said several times before, it's the fun of taking part in the competitions.

I'm not moaning or grumping, I'm purely curious as to the outcome as we're now almost 5 weeks in to 2009.

Cheers
Susan

Makonde
4th February 2009, 09:32 PM
To lift the burden on John a little:

John's list of challenges up to and including the tenth was as follows:

http://img.skitch.com/20081126-mjtcuu9i14fq4xfbeccgysh7s2.preview.jpg

And at that point the points table was:
http://img.skitch.com/20081126-txpy5ryxi4ugqc7afi2jg9ja5y.jpg

Adding the 11th and 12th challenges:

challenge 1st 2nd 3rd

11 Makonde Susan AndyM

12 Susan Ellie Makonde

And adding the points to John's subtotals we have for 2008 as a whole:
Susan 5 + 3 + 2 = 10 First place
Ellie 5+2 = 7 Second =
Makonde 3 + 3 + 1 = 7 Second =
Snaarman 6 Third =
ndl0071 6 Third =
theMusicMan 6 Third =
Barrie 5
AndyM 3 + 1 = 4
(remainder unchanged)

So - congratulations to Susan who has shown ingenuity, creativity and technique to emerge a clear winner over the year.

Now, Ian and John, you may announce what's in Susan's well-deserved goodie bag from Oly.

theMusicMan
5th February 2009, 09:24 AM
Here you go everyone, so sorry for the delay in finalising this.

Here's the final league table following round 12...

http://img.skitch.com/20090205-n6mesa1u3q69wwu9xs57uitxrm.jpg

Well done indeed Susan, and to everyone who entered any of the challenges. Now, if Susan, Makonde and Ellie can each please drop me a PM with your address details, I can get a bag of goodies sent out to you.

Cheers all, and well done!

theMusicMan
5th February 2009, 09:34 AM
Incidentally, if anyone is interested in the sheet I used to collate the results, I am happy to upload this too.

Susan
5th February 2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks Makonde :)

Well done to both Makonde & Ellie too *chr

I thouroughly enjoyed entering the challenges throughout the year, and some of the titles were definately a challenge, forcing me to try techniques and take shots of things that I may not necessarily have took and tried otherwise.

Thanks John, pm heading your way.

Cheers
Susan

Susan
8th May 2009, 09:36 PM
Hi there

I was just wondering of the 'goodie' bags had been sent out? Our postie can be a bit dodgy and we've had mail disappear in the past and arrive opened as well.

Was just curious, as it's been a while.

Cheers
Susan

Garrie
8th May 2009, 11:08 PM
This is sad, Susan has worked for this and WON.

Its taken an age for the results but nothing has happened prize wise

p.s. musicman have you got ians number?

theMusicMan
9th May 2009, 05:28 AM
Leave with me, I'll get this sorted.

Jonesgj
1st November 2009, 11:02 AM
John,

Will you be updating this for 2009?

We ought to have some way of identifying winners, like the stars on world cup footballers shirts, maybe by something in the signature that administrators could set - an icon maybe. A little bit of kudos. Sorry, I always thought Hancock was right: blood donors ought to have badges!

Kind regards

Graydon

theMusicMan
1st November 2009, 11:24 AM
John,

Will you be updating this for 2009?

We ought to have some way of identifying winners, like the stars on world cup footballers shirts, maybe by something in the signature that administrators could set - an icon maybe. A little bit of kudos. Sorry, I always thought Hancock was right: blood donors ought to have badges!

Kind regards

Graydon
Hi Graydon

Yup - I am collating the list for 2009 and have all the to-date results in a chart already. :)

Anyone wanna see the table as it stands - with 2 or 3 challenges remaining (depending how many we can fit in)...?

Jonesgj
1st November 2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks John,

Excellent. I know I don't figure in any of this but its really good to see other people work.

Have you seen my suggestion at:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=55970#post55970

If it 'floats' it may affect when you post your final results may be ???