PDA

View Full Version : Panny 7-14 arrived.

Dave in Wales
2nd July 2015, 05:43 PM
You may/not remember that I returned the OLY 7-14 PRO.....http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38320

I ordered my much beloved Panny 7-14 f4, I've had it previously so I know it's capabilities.

It arrived today from DigitalRev.

Ordered on Sunday...delivered on Thursday...cost £509, a large saving over UK prices and no hidden extras to pay, i.e. VAT or Duty.

The UK price for the Oly is about £999, I think.

A bit of a no-brainer IMVHO.

I have no regrets, IQ wise the Panny seems to match up to the Oly PRO......http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56055565

It's a beautiful 'little' and 'light weight' lens more suited to to M4/3 and it can come up with the goods, OK so I loose a stop f2.8-f4, but who's counting.

I'm still not convinced about keeping both the 7-14 and the Sanyang 7.5mm FE though.

zuiko-holic
2nd July 2015, 05:57 PM
Awesome price for an awesome lens (I am also a happy owner).

benvendetta
2nd July 2015, 09:14 PM
Enjoy the Panny and its foibles (CA). I know which 7-14 I would choose but intend keeping the 43rds version a little while longer. And boy is that huge but I really don't mind this as I have owned it for a good few years and used it on my E3.
Post some images taken with it.

pdk42
2nd July 2015, 10:12 PM
Enjoy the Panny and its foibles (CA)

At least the CA is (mostly) correctable. The same can't be said of the purple blob flare. For sure, it's not lacking on sharpness though. However, the size of the new Oly puts me off, so I'll be sticking with the Panny - despite the occasional attack of the purple blobs!

Ricoh
2nd July 2015, 11:11 PM
The purple blob effect can be quite easily tamed as many of you are aware.
Alternatively if you don't want to go down the route of rear mounted gel filters, consider something like a GX7 (ok, I'll go and rinse my mouth out having said that).

Dave in Wales
3rd July 2015, 06:04 AM
At least the CA is (mostly) correctable. The same can't be said of the purple blob flare. For sure, it's not lacking on sharpness though. However, the size of the new Oly puts me off, so I'll be sticking with the Panny - despite the occasional attack of the purple blobs!

I can honestly say, that from past experience the CA and PBF has never bothered me.

Perhaps I have selective vision, filtered :D or something.

hotbath1962
3rd July 2015, 09:16 AM
Has anyone on here moved from the 4/3 7-14 to the new m4/3 7-14 Pro? Is it worth the expense for the compact size and losing the MMF3? A big cost to change, but am gradually moving lenses over to m4/3.

benvendetta
3rd July 2015, 12:15 PM
Has anyone on here moved from the 4/3 7-14 to the new m4/3 7-14 Pro? Is it worth the expense for the compact size and losing the MMF3? A big cost to change, but am gradually moving lenses over to m4/3.

It is my last remaining 43rds lens. I am thinking about moving over but I really wonder if the extra cost (over what I would get for my 43rds version) would be worth it. I sorta don't mind the size of the old beast!

hotbath1962
3rd July 2015, 12:25 PM
Dave

Kind of depends on how much I'd get. A couple of them have just gone for about 520 on eBay, but then there's fees etc. LCE in Bath would do a P/X but not sure yet how much I'd get going down that route. I also still have the 50/2 but no intention of selling that one.

byegad
3rd July 2015, 02:58 PM
I can honestly say, that from past experience the CA and PBF has never bothered me.

Perhaps I have selective vision, filtered :D or something.

I know CA, Chromatic Aberration, but PBF????

George Dorn
3rd July 2015, 04:52 PM
Purple blob flare.

pdk42
3rd July 2015, 05:00 PM
The trouble with PBF is that it doesn't need a particularly bright light source. The shot below was taken on a very overcast day (it had just stopped raining in fact). You can see that the roofline on the houses is coloured purple due to flare.

http://www.famillekaye.com/Blob.jpg

http://www.famillekaye.com/Blob_crop.jpg

Beagletorque
3rd July 2015, 06:34 PM
New v old oly, the new is quite frankly astounding in the corners for sharpness. The old is not very good, in fact the pany is much better than the 43. Been playing with a new one today and it is worth every pound!