PDA

View Full Version : Portrait orientation???

Mdb2
29th June 2015, 04:00 PM
Hi all, I am just playing around with movie at the moment I have had problems viewing on the LCD (and my computer) when I recorded an orchid in portrait mode on the camera it remains on its side when played back? Ie the orchid is played back ans sideways which is well weird buta I cannot chage the orientation for playback in camera or even when downloaded to iMovie? Suggestions appreciated.
Kind regards mike

SteveJ
29th June 2015, 05:52 PM
With video you will have to shoot in landscape. If you were to try and watch the video on a TV you wouldn't want to tilt your TV into portrait to watch it in full screen.

Steve

Graham_of_Rainham
29th June 2015, 06:56 PM
I can recall a discussion on this subject, because I asked why our cameras don't do what smart phones do with video.

There is a way to change the orientation of a video, but I will have to re-discover it.

It can be done... :cool:

Mdb2
29th June 2015, 07:55 PM
With video you will have to shoot in landscape. If you were to try and watch the video on a TV you wouldn't want to tilt your TV into portrait to watch it in full screen.

Steve

High Steve, seems strange does it not that I can have lots of picture styles done in camera. But not portrait? Must be more to it?
Kind regards mike

Mdb2
29th June 2015, 07:59 PM
I can recall a discussion on this subject, because I asked why our cameras don't do what smart phones do with video.

There is a way to change the orientation of a video, but I will have to re-discover it.

It can be done... :cool:

Hi Graham, if you do re-discover please let me know, quite frustrating hour or so this afternoon trying in camera and in iMovie, admittedly mostly due to my lack of movie experience.
Kind regards mike

PeterBirder
29th June 2015, 09:20 PM
High Steve, seems strange does it not that I can have lots of picture styles done in camera. But not portrait? Must be more to it?
Kind regards mike

Surely portrait orientation is primarily appropriate for taking portraits (and tall still life etc.) rather than moving subjects. I can't remember ever seeing a movie (cinema) or TV programme shot in portrait orientation. If one were it would look as if it were filmed through a part open door. Do movie cameras have a portrait mode?

I understand that smartphones and tablet computers work in this way but suspect this is a result of them evolving from a device which has had a camera added to it rather than a still camera having a movie mode added to it.
If I use my tablet to display a portrait oriented still shot and rotate the tablet to portrait orientation it will fill the screen. Maybe this will be the same for a movie and could be the answer to your problem.

Just my thoughts.*chr

OM USer
29th June 2015, 09:24 PM
ffmpeg -i in.mov -vf "transpose=1" out.mov For the transpose parameter you can pass:
0 = 90CounterCLockwise and Vertical Flip (default) 1 = 90Clockwise 2 = 90CounterClockwise 3 = 90Clockwise and Vertical Flip

Graham_of_Rainham
29th June 2015, 09:29 PM
Many advertising screens are vertically mounted TV screens and as such the need to produce "Portrait" movies is a real requirement. Especially as the highest quality is often found in advertising. :rolleyes:

I remember using Photoshop, but there are many ways to do it: http://www.wikihow.com/Rotate-a-Video

IanB
30th June 2015, 03:07 AM
ummm; I have never used a camera video function :o

with our dumb and silly "modern" wide screens we are pushed into more horizontal format than vertical imo.

Bring back the old square screens/format would be great for photography IMO

Mdb2
30th June 2015, 01:56 PM
Many advertising screens are vertically mounted TV screens and as such the need to produce "Portrait" movies is a real requirement. Especially as the highest quality is often found in advertising. :rolleyes:

I remember using Photoshop, but there are many ways to do it: http://www.wikihow.com/Rotate-a-Video

Hi all, and thanks for your replies I managed with Graham's link to make it work.
I must admit I did not even consider cropping! Therefore I did not open the menu, DOH
again many thanks mike