PDA

View Full Version : E-3 IS and Lens IS

dlinney
19th December 2007, 09:23 PM
Not sure if anyone has asked this before but does anyone know how in-camera IS reacts to in-lens IS?

I have just obtained a Leica 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 lens as part of a package with the DMC-L1 (which I will sell although part of me really likes the retro feel - lots of analogue switches). Now this lens has the Panasonic Mega OIS. So what will happen when I use it with my E-3?

There are four situations:

Both Off - No IS
E-3 on / OIS off - should behave like any other E-3 lens
E-3 off / OIS on - should use the IS in the lens - needs testing?
E-3 on / OIS on - will it be super stabilised or completely unstable???

Will try to do some experriments at the weekend, but wondered if anyone have any experience with either the E-3 or E-510.

Andrew Riddell
19th December 2007, 09:46 PM
I haven't tried this, but logic would say that options 1-3 should work as you suggest, but wouldn't option 4 leave each system trying to compensate for the other - i.e. a shambles!

It'll be interesting to find out what actually happens.

Andrew

shenstone
19th December 2007, 09:55 PM
This test has been done and an interesting video posted on Youtube. The results are quite interesting to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPdy52mR6Io

Regards
Andy

Andrew Riddell
19th December 2007, 10:27 PM
Excellent link, Andy - many thanks. It appeared to me that the in-camera stabilisation was marginally more effective than the in-lens. Once I've seen the proof on my 70-300 (yet to be collected ;), I suspect I'll be able to trust the 510 even if I don't see the stabilisation in the viewfinder.

Andrew

PeterD
19th December 2007, 10:35 PM
This test has been done and an interesting video posted on Youtube. The results are quite interesting to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPdy52mR6Io

Regards
Andy

Thanks for the link Andy. Its certainly worth viewing and reading the comments.

PeterD

dlinney
20th December 2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks Andy - a really useful video that completely answers my original question.:) Either work but both together is chaos.

In an unprecedented move I have just read the manual (shock, horror!) and it does say (in both E-510 and E-3 manuals) that when using an image stabilised lens then either turn off the lens or the camera IS.