PDA

View Full Version : Auto focus at infinity

madasadad
25th November 2008, 09:09 AM
I've recently become an E510 owner and am delighted with the camera and the twin lens kit. The only issue so far is that it won't autofocus to infinity, ie for landscapes or photos of the moon. Any reasons why it hunts about?
Should I use AF settings of CF +M and just manually focus when the camera gets confused? Or maybe I'm the one who's confused!

photo_owl
25th November 2008, 09:19 AM
AF is AF - if it can't find a focus it's not designed to assume you want infinity.

you know better so use MF

btw I have no problem getting an AF on the moon - it's bright and contrasty.

otoh the E3 + 7-14 won't AF on a sea mist

madasadad
25th November 2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks, that was my point, when it couldn't find anything to focus on, nearer than infinity, why does the camera not focus on infinity! Anyway, sounds like its manual focus for me. Its a pity, though, the need to manually focus removes the ability to catch those off the cuff moments that sometimes make the best photos.

Nick Temple-Fry
25th November 2008, 10:21 PM
Not sure I understand the problem.

If you tell the camera to AF then it will assume you know what you want and will cycle round trying to find something to AF on, after all it doesn't know that you are not trying to catch a moving object (or something) in the frame.

If you want (for compositional reasons) to have the AF points in a featureless sky - then set to S-AF, focus on an object in the plane (say a tree on the skyline or the moon if you want to off-centre it), keep the button half pressed and re-compose.

Nick

madasadad
25th November 2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the advice, I use the technique you describe, however the camera refuses to focus on the moon when presented with it. I'll keep trying and revise my technique.

mike_j
26th November 2008, 08:42 AM
Are you using continuous focus or single autofocus. If you are on CF it will constantly try to find a target. SF will lock onto the a suitable distant object and stay there.

photo_owl
26th November 2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the advice, I use the technique you describe, however the camera refuses to focus on the moon when presented with it. I'll keep trying and revise my technique.

I can get an AF on the moon with everything in the bag bar the 7-14 at the wide end - and that's because I can't even see the moon with it!

madasadad
26th November 2008, 07:54 PM
Mike
You may have a point, I'll try SF+m and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks, will let you know.

HughofBardfield
26th November 2008, 07:58 PM
I have to say that with something like the moon, I prefer MF in magnified Live View - takes a bit of fiddling about, but it can be very precise.

I rarely focus at infinity, as with landscape I'm more often looking for the hyperfocal distance (or to be more accurate, guestimating it wildly!).

madasadad
26th November 2008, 08:15 PM
How do you access the magnified Live View?

jucca
28th November 2008, 06:41 PM
How do you access the magnified Live View?

just press OK in LiveView mode. Then use counter to zoom either 7x or 10x. Then you can keep presed IS for second or two, then you will get forced much accurate and stronger image stabilization. Very helpfull specially on mf lenses

Ian
28th November 2008, 06:59 PM
just press OK in LiveView mode. Then use counter to zoom either 7x or 10x. Then you can keep presed IS for second or two, then you will get forced much accurate and stronger image stabilization. Very helpfull specially on mf lenses

You may need to press the info button until the mode with the green box in the centre of the screen shows first.

Ian

Ian
28th November 2008, 07:01 PM
I have to say that with something like the moon, I prefer MF in magnified Live View - takes a bit of fiddling about, but it can be very precise.

I rarely focus at infinity, as with landscape I'm more often looking for the hyperfocal distance (or to be more accurate, guestimating it wildly!).

Absolutely, AF when focusing on the moon with a long lens is actually quite difficult. Manual focus is best, espcially when using magnified live view.

You will also notice that the moon moves across the screen surprisingly swiftly!

Ian

jucca
28th November 2008, 07:02 PM
You may need to press the info button until the mode with the green box in the centre of the screen shows first.

Ian

Yes, sorry, forgot to mention that.

madasadad
30th November 2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the advice, focus and live view, sorted. I was into stargazing for a couple of years but got bored because I couldn't afford to upgrade my telescope. That was 4 months ago. If i'd have known I was going to buy my E510, i'd have kept it. Astrophotography really interested me, but I never had the camera, DOH.
Are there any Astrophotographers in the forum?

crimbo
30th November 2008, 02:50 PM
Are there any Astrophotographers in the forum?

been known to use the E400 and the 25mm pancake occaisionally

http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/cassiopea%20050908b.jpg

madasadad
30th November 2008, 02:59 PM
M31 Andromeda bottom right?

crimbo
1st December 2008, 07:21 AM
M31 Andromeda bottom right?

yep ..........