PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista RAW codec

Ian
24th November 2008, 10:58 AM
You may be aware that Microsoft has a Windows Vista framework for accommodating RAW codecs so that you can view RAW images in Windows Explorer and the Photo Gallery image viewer that is the default application for the image 'preview' option.

The Olympus codec can be downloaded from here:

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/codec/index.cfm

I'm trying to help an e-group member solve a problem he's experiencing with this codec and would like to hear from anybody else who might have a problem running the codec normally; please let us know!

Please note, this is for Windows Vista only.

Thanks,

Ian

j.baker
24th November 2008, 12:03 PM
I am using the codec on Vista x64 and Vista x32. No problems, however I do occasionally have a problem viewing thumbnails on a NAS box. Just th ethumbnails, as the image then opens correctly.

DekHog
24th November 2008, 12:51 PM
I find a far better option is Picasa 3 - try it, you might just be amazed like I was! The integrated windows viewer is fantastic.

Xpres
24th November 2008, 01:15 PM
I use the picasa one as well, although I had no problems with the olympus codec on vista. When I first got this machine it installed itself as soon as I tried to open a file.
the picasa viewer is great but the raw conversions can be right off sometimes - but not often.

skyman1
24th November 2008, 09:14 PM
Have downloaded it for vista32 and has worked fine faster than Olympus studio for just browsing will have a look and see what picasa is like:)