PDA

View Full Version : Just won a Kiron 28mm f2.0

snaarman
24th November 2008, 08:46 AM
For old lens fanatics..

Well, I finally found and won a Vivitar (made by Kiron) 28mm f2 lens in Konica AR fitting. I hope to get the mount modified to 4/3 when it arrives and report back on this secret classic.

Anyone else here used one of these?

Pete

Ian
24th November 2008, 09:43 AM
Blimey - that's a blast from the past. Kirons were introduced in the early 80s in the UK. I vaguely remember selling some when I was behind the counter...

Ian

Xpres
24th November 2008, 10:04 AM
Yes, got one of those. Mine's in a pentax K fitting I think, but is the Komine close focus version.

It's a great lens. This is wide open.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_XC5yATFiGno/SGkTFVgv3JI/AAAAAAAAA0U/rOhaML_a1Vw/s800/dylan2.jpg

snaarman
24th November 2008, 07:41 PM
Kiron lenses seem to have quite a strong following amongst manual lens enthusiasts. Such a strong following that they generally fetch too much on ebay for my tastes. This one was more in my league - about 25

Their weak point seems to be badly chosen lubrication which can end up with an oiled and jammed diaphragm.

Anyawy I hope to post some results from this one so we can all judge the legend..

Pete

BTW - If you buy a Vivitar with a serial number starting 22 then it was in fact made by Kiron.

jucca
24th November 2008, 07:46 PM
great purchase.

I lurking on Kiron 105mm/2.8 macro /Lester Dine, but prices everywhere are too much for me. My friend actually got one few weeks ago from Ebay for just under of 50$ if I remember right, seller didn't know what actully he owned :D

snaarman
1st December 2008, 12:31 PM
Well, I now have my Vivitar/kiron 28 f2 and I have started the long process of converting it for 4/3ds bayonet.

I noticed straight away that the diaphragm suffers from the usual Kiron problem, it has traces of oil on it and is a bit sluggish. Not a show stopper when you are doing preset metering.
My preliminary attempt to dismantle and refurbish the beast stopped at the first inner element. This is a very difficult lens to dismantle.

If I make more progress I will make it my winter project to dismantle the lens and clean the oil off. I have heard that Isoprop alcohol or lighter fluid is the stuff.

Anyway preliminary tests show the lens has the usual pale blue coma around highlights wide open, but looks a lot better at f2.8 and very good at f4.
here is a quick test shot wide open. This shows the characteristic bokeh of a potentially sharp lens.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/622/kiron_prism.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10653)

Pete

alert_bri
4th December 2008, 12:01 PM
Nice one Pete, I've had mine for a while - it has some crazy bokeh wide open.

Have fun! by the way, all of my legacy lenses are now used exclusively on my G1 - have you tried the manual focus-assist ELVIS? *unbelievable!*

Kind Regards

Brian

snaarman
4th December 2008, 12:13 PM
Nice one Pete, I've had mine for a while - it has some crazy bokeh wide open.

Have fun! by the way, all of my legacy lenses are now used exclusively on my G1 - have you tried the manual focus-assist ELVIS? *unbelievable!*

Kind Regards

Brian

Hi there Brian.. long time not heard. Looks like you are keeping yourself busy organising all these Oly events!

Regarding Legacy lenses, I had a big sell off and started again: I now just have a Tamron SP90 (excellent) and a Tamron 135 (very nice) plus a spare Tamron-4/3 mount that is waiting for something else :)

This Kiron is fighting me - I can't cope with oil on the iris, so I will have to carry on stripping it down :-(

Elvis?? I shall have to go look that up.

Pete

alert_bri
4th December 2008, 12:21 PM
ELVIS... Electronic Live View Imaging System.... uhuh :D

snaarman
4th December 2008, 12:23 PM
ELVIS... Electronic Live View Imaging System.... uhuh :D

"ThangU"

ps elvis has left the building