PDA

View Full Version : HLD-4 : Not the usual post

dlinney
19th December 2007, 09:10 PM
So, I get my free grip for my E-3 and happily mount it on the camera. It works, but has minor irritation that Fn button cannot be programmed to AFL so have to swap AFL and Fn which I don't want to do when using E-3 in landscape (rather than portrait) mode since I find the AFL button falls very easily to thumb whereas Fn is a bit too close the the shutter release position.

...... but this is irrelevant ..........

The point is I simply don't like grips. On all my film cameras (EOS 50D, EOS 3, EOS 1V, EOS 5) and most of my digital cameras (EOS 10D, 20D, 5D) I have had a grip which I have subsequently sold because I didn't use them. So why was I excited at getting my HLD-4 grip when I knew, really, that I wouldn't use it?

I simply find that shooting vertical (portrait mode) I prefer the hand over the top position to the upright use of the grip. Am I alone?

emirpprime
19th December 2007, 09:20 PM
I do for short shoots, its just too much hassle swapping shooting position. However if you are doing a lot portrait, its just so much more comfortable to use a grip. I guess its a question of shooting style. Or are you just contrary? ;)
Phil

Andrew Riddell
19th December 2007, 09:53 PM
I'm with the OP on this. I'd rather have a couple of extra batteries in my pocket than carry the weight and bulk of a grip. Mind you, I've never tried using one, so I 'might' just be converted if I tried! OTOH, at my age :D I only want to carry what I need to!

Andrew

PeterD
19th December 2007, 10:43 PM
I'm with the OP on this. I'd rather have a couple of extra batteries in my pocket than carry the weight and bulk of a grip. Mind you, I've never tried using one, so I 'might' just be converted if I tried! OTOH, at my age :D I only want to carry what I need to!

Andrew

One very practical thing I have notice is that the extra height introduced by the grip gives a much more stable shooting position even in landscape format.

I have fitted mine and will not remove it for this reason alone.

Its like all things in life, we have our personal preferences.

Kind regards

PeterD

ianc
19th December 2007, 10:45 PM
It depends what I'm shooting, when hill walking I only carry the 14-54mm or now the 12-60mm and don't use a grip but when I'm using my 50-200mm and EC14 I find a grip improves the handling.
Ian C.

Melaka
20th December 2007, 07:10 AM
I'm a grip fan but mainly use it if I've got a long lens on or intend to do a lot of portrait shots. I think I'll get the new grip strap as the one from the E1 is too small for my hands.

jdal
20th December 2007, 09:19 AM
I got a 2nd hand grip for the E1 and a free HLD-4 with the E-3, and I just find the camera too bulky & heavy with them fitted. Almost all of my photography involves walking around places so the weight and size is a major factor. They don't offer me any benefit over a couple of spare batteries in my pocket.

sapper
20th December 2007, 10:11 AM
Not sure if the lenses focus faster with the grip, will do a test.
Dave.