PDA

View Full Version : New member introduction

Batman
22nd November 2008, 07:44 PM
Hi,

I'm fairly new to the Olympus E system, and very new and a bit uncomfortable with using a forum. I put this down largely to age! Please, therefore, make allowances for any 'cock-ups' that I make. Until this July, I hadn't used a SLR for probably about 20 years or more. That was a Canon AE1 that I bought when the children were young.

Over the years, my photography has been limited mainly to recording family events and travel. The children's activities and my other hobbies really prevented me from having enough time to take it seriously, even though I always had an interest. Having retired 4 years ago, my wife and I started to take a few holidays in Africa and this led to a new interest in photography, particularly wildlife photography. This was initially satisfied with a 'super-zoom' Sony DSC-H1, but I was a little frustrated by some limitations of that camera and decided to get a DSLR. As I wanted a camera that could travel easily, I was shown an E-510 by the friendly staff of our local LCE. When the E-520 arrived it was a natural choice.

Since July I have already started to get much more enjoyment from my photography. Sadly though, I suspect that I am already too old to improve to a good standard as a photographer. It is fun trying though!

When I work out how to, I will post a few photos from the last 4 months. Please be patient with me.

snaarman
22nd November 2008, 07:51 PM
Hi there, most welcome :-)

I did the switch from film to digits a while back. This followed a long period just using a point and shoot (called "P+S" hereabouts) camera.

It was only when my daughter did Photography GCSE a decade ago that I got back into my film and Nikon SLR ways.

I waited until I found a DSLR that was small enough to jam in a jacket pocket (the E400). I was so impressed by Olympus lenses that I settled with the brand and bought a E510 as well..

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask, we don't bite !

Best regards

Pete

CaptainD
22nd November 2008, 08:26 PM
Welcome aboard this friendly forum, really nice to have another new addition the E-System UK family. Lots of great advice and tips can be found here, looking forward to seeing some of your images.

Cheers

Chris *chr

shenstone
22nd November 2008, 08:40 PM
When I work out how to, I will post a few photos from the last 4 months. Please be patient with me.

Hi Batman - please do - it's easy & there are so many wonderful things to take pictures of in Somerset !

Regards
Andy

andym
22nd November 2008, 08:43 PM
Welcome

Any questions just ask ,someone on here normally knows the answer.

PeterD
22nd November 2008, 08:50 PM
Hi Batman,

Welcome to the forum and I am sure you will gain a lot from your time here and also, just as importantly, I am sure your contributions will be well received. Age is no barrier to improving.

Best wishes

Peter

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd November 2008, 09:12 PM
Hi,

Welcome to the best Olympus related forum on the web.

check out your PMs

*chr

shirley
22nd November 2008, 09:28 PM
Hi Batman,
You are very welcome to our friendly forum.
You will find that this is a brilliant place to ask all those silly questions and nobody will belittle or make fun, they just help. I have asked loads of basic questions, on the basis that if you dont ask you dont learn. I have received nothing but support and encouragement. So ask away and post lots of pics.
Shirley

Barr1e
22nd November 2008, 10:14 PM
Hi Batman -

I can say the help given here is most encouraging to newbies and oldies alike.

Enjoy this great forum.

Regards. Barr1e

Batman
22nd November 2008, 10:24 PM
A quick thank you to everyone's kind welcome and encouragement.

I just need to work out how to post some photos now.

Regards to everyone

Dave

theMusicMan
22nd November 2008, 10:58 PM
Hey Batman - great to have you here, I am certain you will soon get to grips with uploading images here. I have a diagram flowchart that illustrates this somewhere, not sure if it is still on here but if you need it, just shout.

Glad you found your way here and look forward to your contributions over the coming months.

davidh
23rd November 2008, 09:13 AM
Welcome Batman

i'm sure you will enjoy this forum

Dave

Ellie
23rd November 2008, 03:11 PM
Hi Batman, good to meet you. :)

I'm sure you'll find your way round the forum really quickly

Napper
24th November 2008, 04:08 PM
Hi Batman welcome to the forum I hope that you soon feel at home here and as many others have said don't think that any question is too simple or silly to ask, often times others on the forum are wondering the same thing but just never got round to asking. As for being too old, I really don't think that age will be a problem to you. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

sapper
26th November 2008, 10:19 AM
Hi

Since July I have already started to get much more enjoyment from my photography. Sadly though, I suspect that I am already too old to improve to a good standard as a photographer.

Cobblers!!
You may not have the 'soak up brain' of an infant, but you have something just as valuable, experience, of photography and life in general.

Don't put yourself down just because you are of an age!!

Rant over, welcome aboard, look forward to seeing your pics.:D

Graham_of_Rainham
26th November 2008, 10:38 AM
Cobblers!!
You may not have the 'soak up brain' of an infant, but you have something just as valuable, experience, of photography and life in general.

Don't put yourself down just because you are of an age!!

Rant over, welcome aboard, look forward to seeing your pics.:D

Totally agree. I learn something new every day. It's just the speelin that gets worse ;)

You can learn a lot from the people here and they are always willing to help

*chr