PDA

View Full Version : Lake district in november

fulhamphil
21st November 2008, 05:36 PM
Hi eveyone, I have recently returned from a landscape workshop with pro photographer Garry Brannigan in the lake district. Here are just a selection of images i have processed so far. If anyone is thinking of doing one of these landscape workshops this guy is well worth considering, apart from being a pro he is a really top bloke and his instruction is first class. He never takes his own photos while on location and with groups of only 5 his one to one tuition is first class.http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/tree_at_buttermere_nov_2008_2.jpg misty buttermerehttp://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/keswick_cathedral_nov_sunrise_2008.jpgkeswick cathedral in sunlighthttp://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/jaws_of_borrowdale_sunrise_nov_2008.jpgsunrise at borrowdalehttp://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/gull_on_jetty_hawes_end.jpggull on jetty at a wet hawes endhttp://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/derwent_water_early_morning_nov2008.jpgdawn at borrowdale

Ian
21st November 2008, 06:04 PM
Hi Phil, was up in the lake district last April but the weather wasn't brilliant. I really like your first one and mono suits it very well.

Ian

JohnGG
21st November 2008, 06:39 PM
Those are very good *yes

I particularly like the first and last images because of their tranquility, almost a "holding your breath" stillness about them.

Cheers,

JohnGG

yorky
21st November 2008, 07:06 PM
First and last for me but I also go for sunrise Borrowdale, Guess you had some long days? where was the course based?

Zuiko
21st November 2008, 07:20 PM
They are all good but No1 is pick of the bunch! :)

shirley
21st November 2008, 07:33 PM
I love number one. If you were to sell it I would put it on my wall.
I would love to learn how to take stunning landscapes like that one so I had a a look at his website.
The longer courses look very good but the only ones I could go to would be one day ones and having read the course outline they seem to be geared up to people who are just learning to use a DSLR, with quite a lot of time learning camera settings before going out.

PeterD
21st November 2008, 07:33 PM
Very good, interesting shots. All have something special about them. I shall go with the majority on No1 as it shows beautiful composition and is simple. B&W treatment is ideal with the mist and shading. The dark tree draws you straight into the picture without anything else grabbing your imediate attention.
The second shot impresses you with the scale of things and the tree and cathedral provide a sense of balance and guide you to the water course down the mountain side.
The third and fifth shots give an impression of calm as has already been said above. Thanks for posting them.

Peter

fulhamphil
22nd November 2008, 12:11 PM
First and last for me but I also go for sunrise Borrowdale, Guess you had some long days? where was the course based?

Hi Yorky the course was based around Derwent water, we stayed at the Derwentwater hotel in Portinscale, all the locations we visited were with in easy travelling distance so the starts weren't too early.

fulhamphil
22nd November 2008, 12:17 PM
I love number one. If you were to sell it I would put it on my wall.
I would love to learn how to take stunning landscapes like that one so I had a a look at his website.
The longer courses look very good but the only ones I could go to would be one day ones and having read the course outline they seem to be geared up to people who are just learning to use a DSLR, with quite a lot of time learning camera settings before going out.

Hi Shirley thanks for the kind comments, although we had a couple of learners on our course, Gary was very quick to appreciate what level of photography you was at, and as the group was only 5, he afforded each person a lot of one to one tuition, so i never felt held back at all. He was very thorough right from scouting out a location to making a print. I can't reccomend this guy enough, it was 695 well spent, he even bought the wine at dinner!

Nick Temple-Fry
22nd November 2008, 12:34 PM
Great series

1)Lovely black and white

2)Nice colours, just a bit disconcerted by the foreground tree which is a bit big/vibrant/overpowering

3) Very nice shot - pity you couldn't arrange for a fortuitous shaft of sunlight onto the island or slopes just to give it a lift

4) I have a problem with this one - when I first looked I saw the upright the gull was standing on as apparently passing through the other uprights. It isn't of course there are 3 uprights - but they are not very well differentiated. The flat light wont have helped but I wonder if a different mono conversion might suit it better.

5) To me this is the definite star - the bright water leading into the image, the too contrasting lines across the water and then onto the mountains that mirror the shape in the water. Lovely composition and a very pleasing combinations of textures.

Nick

snaarman
22nd November 2008, 07:09 PM
Well, these are all good, but the first one and the last one are really very good. I can see them up on the wall as 12x16s :-)

Pete

Barr1e
22nd November 2008, 10:02 PM
Hi Phil -

Great series.

Regards. Barr1e

Ellie
23rd November 2008, 02:41 PM
Lovely pictures. Did you use a filter of some sort to enhance the blue or was it natural?

fulhamphil
23rd November 2008, 09:14 PM
Lovely pictures. Did you use a filter of some sort to enhance the blue or was it natural?
Hi Ellie
I used a 3 stop nd grad and the colour temp was set to daylight, but it was very early before the sun came up and there was that natural blue, if anything i toned it down a bit.

ndl0071
24th November 2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks for posting these images, I think they are the best landscapes posted here for a while now, in paticular I like the first and last.
Well done.

Who's_E
24th November 2008, 05:19 PM
Phil,

It's got to be the light on Keswick Cathedral, the size of the hill behind it and the colours of Borrowdale at sunrise.

I fully intended to go there next year. Having seen these, I will definitely go and make some time for early morning photography.

Nick

fulhamphil
24th November 2008, 07:21 PM
Phil,

It's got to be the light on Keswick Cathedral, the size of the hill behind it and the colours of Borrowdale at sunrise.

I fully intended to go there next year. Having seen these, I will definitely go and make some time for early morning photography.

Nick

Nick, Buttermere and its surrounds are great in the morning, if you get the light, if you don't theres always the lone tree! Derwent water is also great for early morning, Regards, Phil.

fulhamphil
24th November 2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks for posting these images, I think they are the best landscapes posted here for a while now, in paticular I like the first and last.
Well done.

Thanks Neil, comments like that make getting up early all the more worthwile, regards, Phil