PDA

View Full Version : Langstone Harbour Landscape

PeterD
21st November 2008, 12:58 PM
The sky came over very dark a a blanket of cloud obscured the sun and the resulting light levels made it impractical to carry on shooting with the Bigma at full bore. I waited and was rewarded by the sight of light beams pouring out of a gap in the cloud. The beams of light created a sihouette of Portsmouth across the harbour and faded the distant hills of the Isle of Wight. I knew that I did not have much time to act as the clouds were approaching me. I took this image of the scene with the Bigma at 50mm focal length, focussing on the block of flats on Portsmouth. The image, as shot and uncropped, is posted in my gallery. The image below is cropped to remove the sea in the foreground and apply the thirds rule.

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l368/PeterD_2008/Landscapes/LangstoneSunrays-185322.jpg

Comments are welcome. I am trying now to break out from purely wildlife photography and your comments will help.

Peter

Ian
21st November 2008, 01:21 PM
Beautiful, Peter - my kind of picture :)

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
21st November 2008, 01:29 PM
Well as it is LFP Peter.

I like the shot - but I'd look at doing some more pp. As it stands the image is a bit pale and lacks anything to push it forward. That's fine as a representation of the scene - but it doesn't hold the eye for long.

Looking at the shot, which is nicely divided into 3'rds - a little bit of work (hint - a soft light layer, blended back in) would crisp up the bottom 3'rd sea, give the light 3'rd more emphasis and drive home the ominous clouds.

Slight manipulation of the tone might also help (I note that the e-500 sunset programs take the colours towards the red).

I suspect there is also an over emphasised mono shot here waiting to be set free.

Well done Peter to see the potential in a very simple scene.

Nick

ndl0071
21st November 2008, 01:57 PM
Hi Peter

I really like this capture, I would have been very pleased with it had it been mine. In paticular I like the sun rays together with the shimmer over the water.

Very well spotted.

yorky
21st November 2008, 02:15 PM
I like to width of the picture and the "cloudscape"

PeterD
21st November 2008, 02:20 PM
Beautiful, Peter - my kind of picture :)

Ian

Thank you Ian.

Well as it is LFP Peter.

I like the shot - but I'd look at doing some more pp. As it stands the image is a bit pale and lacks anything to push it forward. That's fine as a representation of the scene - but it doesn't hold the eye for long.

Looking at the shot, which is nicely divided into 3'rds - a little bit of work (hint - a soft light layer, blended back in) would crisp up the bottom 3'rd sea, give the light 3'rd more emphasis and drive home the ominous clouds.

Slight manipulation of the tone might also help (I note that the e-500 sunset programs take the colours towards the red).

I suspect there is also an over emphasised mono shot here waiting to be set free.

Well done Peter to see the potential in a very simple scene.

Nick

Nick, I am absolutely useless at PP but do understand your comments and appreciate a bit of work would improve this further. If you would like to try I can let you have the original RAW image as this would make any re-work so much easier. The camera used was the E3, aperture priority, centre weighted average exposure. I have used the E500 for similar scenes and agree it tends to bias towards the red in the program mode.
The only thing I would ask though Nick is is you could tell me the steps in PP as I am trying hard to learn this. My PP package (hardly used to date) is PhotoPlus X2 by Serif and of course I use Lightroom for all image uploads and minor adjustments.

Hi Peter

I really like this capture, I would have been very pleased with it had it been mine. In paticular I like the sun rays together with the shimmer over the water.

Very well spotted.

Thank you Neil.

I have since learnt that the ray effect is called 'Crepescular Rays' and information can be found at http://www.phys.uu.nl/~bassa/gallery/crepescular_rays.htm
Photography is full of fun and things to learn.

Peter

PeterD
21st November 2008, 02:32 PM
I like to width of the picture and the "cloudscape"

Thank you Yorky, the width was due to cropping the bottom of the image which made into a sort of panorama effect. Only had the one body and lens so had to make the best of the Bigma.

Peter

StephenL
21st November 2008, 03:17 PM
A very good effect. I would be tempted to crop into even more of a pano format, but that's just me.

Nick Temple-Fry
21st November 2008, 03:18 PM
Nick, I am absolutely useless at PP but do understand your comments and appreciate a bit of work would improve this further. If you would like to try I can let you have the original RAW image as this would make any re-work so much easier. The camera used was the E3, aperture priority, centre weighted average exposure. I have used the E500 for similar scenes and agree it tends to bias towards the red in the program mode.
The only thing I would ask though Nick is is you could tell me the steps in PP as I am trying hard to learn this. My PP package (hardly used to date) is PhotoPlus X2 by Serif and of course I use Lightroom for all image uploads and minor adjustments.

Peter

Fighting talk Peter - suggesting (particularly as others don't share the comments I made) that I put up or...:)

OK - here is what I prepared before making my comments.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/peterD_LangstoneSunrays-185322redandsoft.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10287)

Steps taken

1) create 2'nd identical layer
2) in hue/saturation slightly bias the duplicate copy towards the red.
3) merge the layer using the soft light option (tends to intensify the light/dark ends of the image)

All steps in The GIMP - but the technique is transferable to any program that supports layers.

Why do I think it adds to the image

1) Well I did it + bias is always a good reviewing tool.
2) It emphasies the 3 sandwich cake layers
3) It brings up the texture in the water.

It is a great image for playing with - go on Peter - put it in your editor and twiddle those sliders.

Nick

art frames
21st November 2008, 03:55 PM
Peter

I like the gentle and understated colour of the original. Looking at the un-cropped version I think you took away some distractions and left a very calm and relaxing image as a result.

Although I like to play with images, this one seems good right from the camera. Less is more. I don't like to disagree with Nick but I feel the E3 knew best.

I know you want to widen your pictures from natural history and this is a good start. Do you have any fishing boats in the harbour? I'd have thought something like that would be a good source of material.

good work

Peter

PeterD
21st November 2008, 04:49 PM
Fighting talk Peter - suggesting (particularly as others don't share the comments I made) that I put up or...:)

OK - here is what I prepared before making my comments.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/peterD_LangstoneSunrays-185322redandsoft.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10287)

Steps taken

1) create 2'nd identical layer
2) in hue/saturation slightly bias the duplicate copy towards the red.
3) merge the layer using the soft light option (tends to intensify the light/dark ends of the image)

All steps in The GIMP - but the technique is transferable to any program that supports layers.

Why do I think it adds to the image

1) Well I did it + bias is always a good reviewing tool.
2) It emphasies the 3 sandwich cake layers
3) It brings up the texture in the water.

It is a great image for playing with - go on Peter - put it in your editor and twiddle those sliders.

Nick

Thanks Nick for your editing. Its different and very strong. I suppose its about conveying a mood. I think on balance I prefer the original but then again it is only an opinion. I shall have a go myself later as it would be a good basis for experiment.

Peter

PeterD
21st November 2008, 04:52 PM
A very good effect. I would be tempted to crop into even more of a pano format, but that's just me.

Thanks Stephen, the reason I cropped as is, was because I could not afford to loose the sky and I wanted to conform to the thirds rule. Where would you suggest I cropped?
Peter

PeterD
21st November 2008, 04:57 PM
Peter

I like the gentle and understated colour of the original. Looking at the un-cropped version I think you took away some distractions and left a very calm and relaxing image as a result.

Although I like to play with images, this one seems good right from the camera. Less is more. I don't like to disagree with Nick but I feel the E3 knew best.

I know you want to widen your pictures from natural history and this is a good start. Do you have any fishing boats in the harbour? I'd have thought something like that would be a good source of material.

good work

Peter

Peter,

Thank you. I want to experiment a bit and see where all this leads. Plenty of fishing boats but the harbour is wide as you can see from this image. I think I shall have to travel to find those sorts of subject.

Peter

snaarman
21st November 2008, 05:36 PM
I like the look of the original, but somewhere inside I wonder what a vertical crop from the original would look like...

Good pic though

Pete

grumpy69
21st November 2008, 05:42 PM
Great shot Peter like you say it was worth waiting a bit to see what happened to the sky. As fare as the second pic that has been played with, that is really good in it's own right, Well done *clap

petrovich
21st November 2008, 06:40 PM
Hello Peter.

Great shot and I must admit that when we met, with all that fantastic coastline and countryside around us ,that where you have a natural eye for a picture, you did not turn it more to your surroundings as well as wildlife.

Again a good shot and hopefully at our meet in a week or so you can pass some info onto me.

Regards

PeterD
21st November 2008, 07:01 PM
I like the look of the original, but somewhere inside I wonder what a vertical crop from the original would look like...

Good pic though

Pete

Pete
Thank you for your comments. Do you mean a vertical crop of the original or of the psuedo panorama image. As before, I would like to see people make changes as through these I can learn more.

Great shot Peter like you say it was worth waiting a bit to see what happened to the sky. As fare as the second pic that has been played with, that is really good in it's own right, Well done *clap

Grumpy
Thanks for your comments and whilst I have said I prefer the original, I want to experiment myself with this to see what I can do. As Nick put it - 'put it in your editor and twiddle those sliders'! Nick very kindly described what to do so I shall give it whirr when I have more spare time*yes

Hello Peter.

Great shot and I must admit that when we met, with all that fantastic coastline and countryside around us ,that where you have a natural eye for a picture, you did not turn it more to your surroundings as well as wildlife.

Again a good shot and hopefully at our meet in a week or so you can pass some info onto me.

Regards

Thanks Peter. I am looking foreward to our meet. remember that I have permission to take you into the Southern water site. I am sure that between it and the coastline, we can have a great time.

Peter