PDA

View Full Version : Metz 15 MS1 Ringflash will not work with EM10

Hemlockwood
16th May 2015, 06:01 PM
The time for macro is here once again! I have used my Metz ring flash very successfully with my Olympus E510 but I am at a loss to successfully set up with the EM 10. I have tried numerous settings but the flash refuses to fire:confused:The viewfinder also goes dark when I use the same settings as the E510. Anyone use this combination successfully? Your advice would be appreciated*chr

Invicta
16th May 2015, 06:12 PM
What version of firmware do you have on your Metz flash?

The Metz 15 MS1 Ringflash works with my E-M5.

See this web page for the latest firmware.

http://www.metz.de/en/flash-units/firmware-download-flash-units/mecablitz-15-ms-1-digital.html

Ralph Harwood
16th May 2015, 07:43 PM
Hi there Hemlockwood!

I think that you will need to change the EVF settings to include LiveView boost to stop the viewfinder from going dark when using a flash. I haven't got a Metz ring flash, but my Metz 44AF works really well with my E-M1 and E-PL3.

Good luck with the Macro,

Cheers,

Ralph.

Hemlockwood
16th May 2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks for responding Invicta. I believe I have all the firmware updates. However, although the EM5 is mentioned in the update the EM 10 is not. I was really hoping to use the Metz with the EM 10 but may have to revert to the old E 510:(

Hemlockwood
17th May 2015, 12:44 PM
Thanks Ralph. Setting Live View Boost resolved problem of dark EVF.:) The combination is now working.*chr

shotokan101
17th May 2015, 04:50 PM
Thanks Ralph. Setting Live View Boost resolved problem of dark EVF.:) The combination is now working.*chr

so what did you change to get the flash to trigger ? - the evf setting presumeably didn't do that as well...

JIm

Ralph Harwood
17th May 2015, 06:23 PM
Hi there Hemlockwood!

Glad to here you are all up and running - now to show us some pictures!

Cheers,

Ralph.

Hemlockwood
17th May 2015, 10:57 PM
You are indeed correct shotokan101:) I have to set the EM 10 to S (1/160) and A(setting depends on the nature of the subject)and then use in M Mode. Setting up the Metz ring flash is quite simple - sync the to Olympus on the ring flash and then test the power of the flash(full/1/2/1/4 etc) to the above settings which by experience I have become very well acquainted with. Hope that makes sense. It works for me*chr