PDA

View Full Version : switching from RAW to JPEG

Ricko
10th May 2015, 06:56 PM
My camera is set for RAW images but I would like to use JPEG...problem is that I cannot find a command in the menus to make the switch. Any ideas please ?

Wee man
10th May 2015, 08:19 PM
Which camera?

benvendetta
10th May 2015, 08:22 PM
It's in the forum index title Ed - EM10.

PeterBirder
10th May 2015, 08:34 PM
Hi Ricko and welcome to the forum.

You can select Raw and Raw+JPEG and the various JPEG Quality settings via the Super Control Panel display. Just highlight the RAW box that your camera is presently displaying and you will be presented with a set of options.

Page 67 of the manual refers.

Regards.*chr

Wee man
10th May 2015, 08:54 PM
Thanks Dave do not get titles on my tablet.

Zuiko
10th May 2015, 10:11 PM
Hi Ricko and welcome to the forum.

You can select Raw and Raw+JPEG and the various JPEG Quality settings via the Super Control Panel display. Just highlight the RAW box that your camera is presently displaying and you will be presented with a set of options.

Page 67 of the manual refers.

Regards.*chr

If the camera is new I suspect that the Super Control Panel may not be enabled - I cannot understand why Olympus bury such a useful feature in the menus and don't have it enabled as standard.

To turn the SCP on follow these steps:-

Press Menu button

Scroll down to 4th line, the Custom Menu (represented by Cogs symbol)

Select sub menu D

Select "Control Settings"

Select "P/A/S/M"

Select "Live SCP"

Select "On"

Press OK button

Repeat for iAuto, Art and Scene modes

Exit menu

PeterBirder
10th May 2015, 10:25 PM
Thanks John, I'd forgotten that one.

Interestingly, on the E-M5 MKII I understand that SCP "ON" is now the default so it seems Olympus have taken that one on board. Of course I recall a recent post from a new MKII owner complaining that he couldn't find out how to switch it off.:) You can please some of the people some of the time etc. etc. etc.:)

Regards.*chr

Zuiko
10th May 2015, 10:30 PM
Thanks John, I'd forgotten that one.

Interestingly, on the E-M5 MKII I understand that SCP "ON" is now the default so it seems Olympus have taken that one on board. Of course I recall a recent post from a new MKII owner complaining that he couldn't find out how to switch it off.:) You can please some of the people some of the time etc. etc. etc.:)

Regards.*chr

I can't think of any situation when it would be an advantage not to have the SCP but, as you say, you cannot please everyone!

PaulB
11th May 2015, 08:08 AM
On the EM10 the SCP can also be accessed by using the |□| button on the right side of the viewfinder and enabling the EVF. The LCD automatically shows the SCP even it the SCP isn't enabled in the menu.

Ross the fiddler
11th May 2015, 08:38 AM
On the EM10 the SCP can also be accessed by using the |□| button on the right side of the viewfinder and enabling the EVF. The LCD automatically shows the SCP even it the SCP isn't enabled in the menu.

Also, I eventually discovered that if anything has been highlighted (by pressing (OK) with that particular SCP, it is then possible to select other boxes by touch (whereas touch doesn't operate otherwise but other boxes are selectable by the 4 way keys) & then the front dial changes the value (if dials are set that way).

Ricko
14th May 2015, 08:43 PM
Hi

Thanks to all for the advice. Zuiko may have the answer as the SCP is not enabled...only thing is I cannot seem to get it following the instructions, or the manual instructions for that matter. Never had these problems with my old OM 1 and OM2 !!

Rick

Ross the fiddler
14th May 2015, 10:52 PM
Hi

Thanks to all for the advice. Zuiko may have the answer as the SCP is not enabled...only thing is I cannot seem to get it following the instructions, or the manual instructions for that matter. Never had these problems with my old OM 1 and OM2 !!

Rick

Maybe the following will help. To get to the following screen, press Menu & scroll down (with rear wheel or down arrow on 4 way pad) to the gear/cog symbol, scroll across with the front wheel or right arrow (of 4 way pad) & scroll down to *D. After that scroll across & down to Control Settings. Scroll across & I have scrolled down to P/A/S/M >.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/S5150180-s.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/83173)

From there scroll across again to the following screen.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/S5150184-s.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/83174)

Scroll up or down to select the desired option & press OK to tick the box. Half pressing the shutter button will return you to the normal shooting mode again & pressing the OK button should bring up the SCP if you ticked the above like I have shown. If you have more than one option selected (e.g. 3 options in iAuto), then pressing the Info key will cycle through those screens.

I hope that helps. *chr

PaulB
15th May 2015, 01:24 PM
Also, I eventually discovered that if anything has been highlighted (by pressing (OK) with that particular SCP, it is then possible to select other boxes by touch (whereas touch doesn't operate otherwise but other boxes are selectable by the 4 way keys) & then the front dial changes the value (if dials are set that way).

Playing about I've found that if you use the button on the side of the viewfinder to swap to EVF view and bring up the SCP on the LCD; if you then "double tap" quickly on the item you wish to adjust eg RAW, the item is highlighted for adjustment. Use the front wheel to adjust and shutter or ok to enable adjustment.

Ricko, is the gear/cogs menu enabled? If not, press MENU then go to the SPANNER symbol and press right, then got to COGS MENU DISPLAY (line 6) and press right and select ON.

It's great having so many personal adjustments at your fingertips but a right pain trying to find where to adjust stuff at times!! :)

byegad
15th May 2015, 03:37 PM
To me the move to SCP default on is a sign that Olympus are aiming at enthusiast and professional users rather than snappers. I recently bought an EM5 and turned on SCP as I first accessed the menus.

Ricko
15th May 2015, 10:04 PM
Hi

many pieces in this jigsaw, and ross provided the final one. I have my SCP and have made the changes i wanted. Thanks to you all for your help...I am sure I will be back for more as I find out more about this wonderful machine.

rick

pdk42
16th May 2015, 07:18 AM
But why would you want to use JPG rather than raw?