PDA

View Full Version : E520 Image Stabilization and its use.

dennisg
20th November 2008, 02:56 AM
I have tried to use the Image Stabilization feature on the E520. The settings ask you what lens you are using, thus if I am using the 40-150 zoom the varaibility of the focal length varies when used. So when using a zoom lens, such as the 40-150MM, what setting do you use when setting up the Image Stabilzation function in the E520?

Thanks for the help!!

Dennis G:confused:

Ian
20th November 2008, 07:19 AM
I have tried to use the Image Stabilization feature on the E520. The settings ask you what lens you are using, thus if I am using the 40-150 zoom the varaibility of the focal length varies when used. So when using a zoom lens, such as the 40-150MM, what setting do you use when setting up the Image Stabilzation function in the E520?

Thanks for the help!!

Dennis G:confused:

Hi Dennis, with Four Thirds lenses, like the 40-150, it's automatic. The lens communicates its focal length to the camera electronically. The manual setting option is for legacy lenses that have no data links to the camera body.

Ian

250swb
20th November 2008, 08:17 AM
The settings ask you what lens you are using

As Ian says, that is just if you want to use an old Olympus film lens on the camera. 'E' lenses are automatically recognised.

Otherwise your choice is Off, IS 1, IS 2, or IS 3. Have it switched Off if the camera is stable or on a tripod, IS 1 for normal use, IS 2 for horizontal panning, or IS 3 for vertical panning.

Steve

Xpres
20th November 2008, 10:20 AM
I think the question arises because you can still see the focal length adjustment, and can change it, even when an 'e' lens is attached. At least it does on mine. It should perhaps disappear or say auto when a zoom is attached.

photo_owl
20th November 2008, 12:48 PM
it should be greyed out with an E lens on board until you press the +- button to bring it alive.

It's very useful this way as you can preset it for an upcoming quick change to a manual lens.

Phil Angel
21st November 2012, 07:15 AM
On my 520 it is greyed out ,but always reads 40mm no matter if i put the 14-45mm or the 40-150mm lens on....is this correct or is the camera not adjusting automatically ?

Stewart G
21st November 2012, 02:01 PM
Phil, go in and change it to a different number and then see if it stays at that new number. I believe the setting shown won't change as you zoom, merely remains wherever was last set. The E-lens automatic recognition is invisible, I'm petty sure. I used to change mine religiously, with E-lenses, until I realized the whole thing was automatic.

Phil Angel
21st November 2012, 06:37 PM
Phil, go in and change it to a different number and then see if it stays at that new number. I believe the setting shown won't change as you zoom, merely remains wherever was last set. The E-lens automatic recognition is invisible, I'm petty sure. I used to change mine religiously, with E-lenses, until I realized the whole thing was automatic.

Thanks Stuart.....you are right.The number stays at whatever i set manually.

zekewhipper
23rd February 2013, 06:03 PM
Otherwise your choice is Off, IS 1, IS 2, or IS 3. Have it switched Off if the camera is stable or on a tripod, IS 1 for normal use, IS 2 for horizontal panning, or IS 3 for vertical panning.

Steve

Turning the IS off when the camera is on a tripod is not a given. If you have the tripod setting on a surface that is subject to vibration, or if you are using a tripod outdoors when there is some kind of breeze, then you definately want to leave the IS on.