PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with an FL-36 they like to take apart?

scanny
18th November 2008, 10:27 PM
Hi all

Its a strange on this thread, i have an fl36 that was victim of a drunken flatmate at newyear, the short of it is i fell whilst on my e1 and tripod and broke. It snapped at the joint between the hotshoe moulding and the base of the main body of the flash.

I think im lucky and i can glue it back on without a problem and the hotshoe wiring can be soldered back together and the other end clip in. has anyone taken one to bits and has the wiring sequence written down? im unsure what colour goes to which terminal in the hotshoe and i havent been able to find a schematic wiring diagram to consult.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/scannee/PB185920.jpg

All help greatly appretiated, hopefully it should work when re assembled :D

Shaw
18th November 2008, 10:43 PM
Hi Scanny

I had the same problem with my FL-36, but lost a couple of hotshoe contacts and ended up buying a complete foot from a dealer in USA.
Sorry I can't be of more help

Regards

Stewart

scanny
18th November 2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks Stewart

If you dont mind me asking how much was it. It just dawned on me to try the flash and see if it does work and it fires fine, hopefully a new hotshoe leg will have it back in use. It broke in Janurary so im just getting round to having a fiddle

Shaw
19th November 2008, 07:06 AM
Dear Scanny

The complete shoe assembly cost me $39.60 plus $22.00 shipping from uscamera, but he also sells the lock ring and shoe foot separately.

The link is below

http://www.uscamera.com/fl36.htm

Regards

Stewart

scanny
19th November 2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the link stewart

I emailed luton cameras expecting an expensive quoute but they have the foot with wiring for 17.64 + 3 p&p. I sent payment so fingers crossed it all works fine once i fit it

Steve

Shaw
20th November 2008, 07:29 AM
Good news Steve

The price seems very reasonable and I hope you can get it working again.

Stewart

Graham_of_Rainham
20th November 2008, 01:56 PM
Be vary careful there are some high voltages inside these things and they can do you harm.

I know its stating the obvious, but please be carefull

*chr

Naughty Nigel
9th March 2009, 04:07 PM
........ Around 275 to 350 volts depending on model. That's more than enough to give you a very nasty shock, and some burns too. :eek:

If you are taking any flashgun apart, always discharge the main capacitor by firing the flash, and then switching it off straight away.

Most models will have a bleeder resistor to discharge the main capacitor over a period of a few minutes, but if you can, check the voltage across the capacitor with a meter to make sure it is safe. (You won't usually get a shock from voltages much below 50 volts).

If necessary, connect a resistor of between 22 KΩ and 47 KΩ across the capacitor to discharge it.

However, I am interested to hear that a replacement foot is available for Olympus flashguns. I had problems with one of mine sometimes not communicating with the camera, and I always suspected it was a poor connection in the foot.

scanny
9th March 2009, 04:38 PM
I forgot about this thread oppps.

I got the leg through and its now glued on and the flash is working a treat - you dont realise how slow it is compared to its bigger brother until you go back to it, however it does just fine. Definatly recomend luton cameras top supplier