PDA

View Full Version : Bulb problem - overexposure

sunflower
3rd May 2015, 02:53 PM
I'm trying some long exposures using the bulb timer, but even with the aperture at f22, and a short exposure of 4 seconds, the result is a bright white picture. The EV seems to set itself arbitrarily at +3, and I can't change it. :(

Any ideas, please?

Gwyver
3rd May 2015, 03:31 PM
Have you checked what ISO setting was in use?

sunflower
3rd May 2015, 03:37 PM
I tried ISO settings from 100 up to 400, with the same result every time. The EV will not move from 3+ and the image is almost completely white.

greenguru
3rd May 2015, 03:58 PM
Are you using a ND filter because that sounds as expected to me?

sunflower
3rd May 2015, 04:06 PM
No, I don't have an ND filter for the lens.:(

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd May 2015, 04:22 PM
At this time of day (17:25) a measured exposure with a Sekonic Meter gives:

1/15s at f/22 with ISO 200

My camera told me 1/16s @ f/22 and ISO 200

*chr

sunflower
3rd May 2015, 04:31 PM
I just tried those settings - thank you - but still the EV is setting itself at +3.0.

How would I ever be able to use a longer exposure and achieve a result?

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd May 2015, 04:50 PM
I just tried those settings - thank you - but still the EV is setting itself at +3.0.

How would I ever be able to use a longer exposure and achieve a result?

As you are further East than us in the UK, I would expect the sun to have set a bit further, but if you are in the South of France, it could well be brighter than here, and I am somewhat envious :cool:

The EV is what it is, so to get a long shutter speed with daylight you need a strong ND Filter. Some at ND 8 may get it down a bit, but for really slow shutter speed in daylight you will need to use a "Big Stopper" ND 10 or more

These may help with the resultant exposure calculation:

http://www.genkin.org/apps/ndfilters/

http://www.dougchinnery.com/free_downloads/

*chr

sunflower
3rd May 2015, 06:32 PM
Thank you.

Looks as if I'm going to have treat her to an ND filter. :eek:

Don't be envious. Here in south-west France we've had days of cold weather - people have switched their heating back on again - and rain. And forecast to remain wet into the foreseeable future.

That's why our club meeting next Tuesday will not now be a shoot in a picturesque village, but an indoor session. We've chosen to learn 'blur' and 'motion', hence the bulb experiment.

So not only is the weather very disagreeable, it's costing me a new filter. *yes

bilbo
4th May 2015, 10:08 AM
Hi - what is the subject that you are trying to photograph?

sunflower
4th May 2015, 12:57 PM
Hi

We haven't selected a subject yet. It's for a club meeting tomorrow, where we are going to be working on blur and motion. A pendulum is one idea that has been put forward.

bilbo
4th May 2015, 03:45 PM
Hi

We haven't selected a subject yet. It's for a club meeting tomorrow, where we are going to be working on blur and motion. A pendulum is one idea that has been put forward.I was really trying to understand what you have been photographing that resulted in the white out. Were you outside in bright sunlight or were you indoors in a dark room?

sunflower
4th May 2015, 03:56 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Just as an experiment, as I haven't used the bulb mode previously, I firstly tried indoors to catch the hand movement of my husband washing a dish. Then I tried outside, in fairly overcast conditions, to capture the flowers on a bush that was waving in the breeze.

The white-out occurred in both instances, with an aperture of f22, and the EV insisting on sticking at +3.

I think our class tomorrow will restrict itself to slow shutter speeds, but without using bulb mode. I simply wanted to try it to see what happened.

Graham_of_Rainham
4th May 2015, 04:17 PM
You would need an ultra fast shutter and good reflexes to catch most men washing dishes... ;)

Please let us see the results that come out of this.

*chr

bilbo
4th May 2015, 04:19 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Just as an experiment, as I haven't used the bulb mode previously, I firstly tried indoors to catch the hand movement of my husband washing a dish. Then I tried outside, in fairly overcast conditions, to capture the flowers on a bush that was waving in the breeze.

The white-out occurred in both instances, with an aperture of f22, and the EV insisting on sticking at +3.

I think our class tomorrow will restrict itself to slow shutter speeds, but without using bulb mode. I simply wanted to try it to see what happened.I think that you are misunderstanding what the camera is telling you. Which is simply this: "If you set the camera controls like this, then your picture will be severely over-exposed."

Try photographing the bush again with a shutter speed of around 1/4 -> 1/2 second and a suitable aperture...

sunflower
4th May 2015, 04:22 PM
:D

It is my other half's speciality. He washes the dishes religiously every morning before breakfast. I'd sooner he did it before going to bed, but we have had to compromise. *yes

It makes him feel righteous and domesticated, as if he's made a major contribution to the housework.

If I get a decent image I'll post it here.

sunflower
4th May 2015, 04:24 PM
OK thank you, I will try that. *chr

Not just now, though, as we are on 'orange alert' for a violent storm, and the E-M10 is not weatherproof. The first drops of rain have splattered, the wind is wobbling about, and it's very humid.

bilbo
4th May 2015, 05:15 PM
This is at 1/2 second:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5544/11156346304_9ce3dd357e_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/hZRc5m)

sunflower
4th May 2015, 05:28 PM
That's a super photo, Brian.

Where did you focus?

bilbo
4th May 2015, 09:32 PM
That's a super photo, Brian.

Where did you focus?Focus is on the guy with the case. Just to help you out here, he is standing still. Everyone else is moving. He is a street entertainer whose name is Reinaldo - also known as the 'Windy Man'. :)

sunflower
5th May 2015, 07:25 AM
Ha ha! Nice one. :)