PDA

View Full Version : Pancake/Body Cap lens advice

Doug
2nd May 2015, 04:18 PM
As you are all so helpful , can I get some more advice please?

My E-PL5 came with a 14-42mm and a 40-150mm kit lens.
I have a Vivitar 70-150mm lens that I am getting an adaptor for.

I have been reading about the various pancake lenses and body cap lenses , and wondered if these are really a good option to leave on my E-PL5 as a general point and press type lens for snaps?
The reviews are split and I am really hoping for advice from someone with experience of these type lenses or a lot more knowledge than I have (being a newbie to this game.)
Thanks , in advice , for any assistance.:)

PeterBirder
2nd May 2015, 07:48 PM
As you are all so helpful , can I get some more advice please?

My E-PL5 came with a 14-42mm and a 40-150mm kit lens.
I have a Vivitar 70-150mm lens that I am getting an adaptor for.

I have been reading about the various pancake lenses and body cap lenses , and wondered if these are really a good option to leave on my E-PL5 as a general point and press type lens for snaps?
The reviews are split and I am really hoping for advice from someone with experience of these type lenses or a lot more knowledge than I have (being a newbie to this game.)
Thanks , in advice , for any assistance.:)

Hi Doug.
I don't have any experience of the "body cap" lenses but I think they are a bit of a gimmick really. They are fixed apperture f8, so not very bright and effectively manual focus.OK for a bit of fun but not very flexible.

I do have the mZ 14-42mm EZ f3.5-5.6 pancake zoom. I find this a very usefull and flexible little lens and it has very good close focus capability of 0.2m. I bought it originally to use with my Pen Mini E-PM2 back up body as a pocket camera but I now have it permanently on my E-M5 in my camera bag as a "body cap" to give me an instantly useable camera for opportunity shots.

You will find some shots taken with this lens in this thread of mine. If you scroll to the end of the thread you will also find some shots of how the Pen Mini with this lens on will fit in a jacket pocket which I took for another member who wanted a pocket combination. He subsequently bought one of these lenses.:D

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34916

This next thread has shots taken with the lens on my E-M5 which has the same sensor as your E-PL5.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35721

This thread of "Zuiko's" on a day out together we had shows me using the E-M5/pancake combo :eek: and at post# 13 a couple of shots I took with it.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36945

I bought my lens as an unboxed but new lens, split from a kit from Ffordes at a very advantageous price. They don't seem to have them any more but SRS at Watford have them on their website (but showing currently out of stock) for £169. It may be worth giving them a call as they are very helpful.
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/lenses/olympus-lenses.html?p=3

Hope this helps you.*chr

Stewart G
2nd May 2015, 09:25 PM
Hi Doug,
I quite like my 9mm body cap, is plenty sharp, tho perhaps won't prizes in that area. it also eliminates two "annoyances:" auto focusing and aperture adjustment. The distance lever is too loose, is easily knocked askew, but that's no big deal, really. It's a fisheye, of course, so plenty of crazy-house distortion, which is a plus, to me.

Graham_of_Rainham
2nd May 2015, 09:43 PM
I really want my "walk-a-bout/pocket" camera to be as versatile as can be, which is why the 14-42mm EZ f3.5-5.6 pancake zoom, works so well.

Fixed focal Body Cap lenses are ok, but having tried them, I quickly sold them on...

*chr

Doug
3rd May 2015, 06:29 AM
Thank you guys , great info as expected.
I am really edging towards the pancake 14-42mm zoom.

Graham - is it a lot better quality than the 14-42 kit lens (sorry if that's a stupid question)?

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd May 2015, 08:49 AM
Thank you guys , great info as expected.
I am really edging towards the pancake 14-42mm zoom.

Graham - is it a lot better quality than the 14-42 kit lens (sorry if that's a stupid question)?

Both lenses produce very good image quality, that is difficult to tell apart. I have the DxO Optics Pro software and if I look REALLY hard, I think I can see slightly less distortion from the 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 R II than the EZ Pancake.

In everyday use, you would have to be looking quite critically to see any difference.

For a "pocket" system with the capability of mounting lenses from 7mm to 300mm the E-PL5 is hard to beat. I only sold my one when an E-P5 became available.

PS I have a nice VF-2 available for sale :D

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd May 2015, 09:32 AM
I also have an Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ Pancake Lens, that I'd consider selling for the right price... :D

OM USer
5th May 2015, 11:27 AM
I use the 14-42mm EZ pancake zoom on my E-PM2 and it works perfectly as a point and shoot but with a vastly superior sensor and much better pictures (plus full override if I get caught in a tricky situation). It is not as sharp as the 12-40mm F2.8 at infinity but that is to be expected and you have to pixel peep to notice. I have my EZ pancake zoom with the auto lenscap to make it even easier to use straight out of the pocket.