PDA

View Full Version : Do I need extra flash units?

Naticle
16th November 2008, 11:44 AM
Hi there!
I am doing some studio work in a couple of weeks my daughters Playgroup. I have a backdrop and two soft boxes with lamps. I have my external flash which I can set up as a slave. Do I need to buy extra flash units? Umbrellas etc

The space I am in is VERY large and lots of lights as it is.

Would it be advisable to purchase flash units?

TIA

Graham_of_Rainham
17th November 2008, 10:31 AM
Having recently done a couple of studio lighting workshops, the number one rule is to keep it simple. Personally I'd go for natural light if it's avalable and use reflectors to get rid of any dark areas or use tiny amounts of flash to fill it in (less is more being the thing to remember)

As you have said that there is a lot of light already, watch the white balance of all the mixtures of light and never forget the colour cast from reflected surfaces. PlaySkool is a colourfull place so look out for the bright green wall coverings making the kids look sick or spooky :eek:

Most important of all, have fun...

*chr

PS Welcome to the forum

theMusicMan
17th November 2008, 11:17 AM
Hi Naticle

Do you mean you don't have flash units, just lamps? If so, are these lamps for permanent lighting or are they the modeling lamps used on some flash units?

If you don't have flash units, then I'd certainly suggest purchasing at least one. I have recently done the portraits for my wifes playgroup, and I used two flash units; one at the front for lighting the child, and the other on a much reduced power and raised well above the child, pointing almost directly down, this to provide some light on the childs hair.

photo_owl
17th November 2008, 02:28 PM
Hi there!
I am doing some studio work in a couple of weeks my daughters Playgroup. I have a backdrop and two soft boxes with lamps. I have my external flash which I can set up as a slave. Do I need to buy extra flash units? Umbrellas etc

The space I am in is VERY large and lots of lights as it is.

Would it be advisable to purchase flash units?

TIA

no you don't need them - but then again........

If I only had what you have I would have the softboxes main and fill with the slave flash up and behind for hair. However that's going to give me softbox catchlights in the eyes which I personally dislike. taking the main just a little further back and out of the eyes and substituting a seperate round source for the eyes would be my addition - and swapping out the slave flash for a softer more controlable source would be my substitution.

Naticle
30th November 2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks E/O I ended up buying another FL50R flash & it worked really well. But I need to learn so much kept getting shadows every now & again creating extra PP but I photographed 47 kids + mums dads & nannies so quite a good run!