PDA

View Full Version : Next generation Sony M43 sensors

Wolfie
9th April 2015, 07:00 AM
Article on 43rumors (sourced from Sony.net) about new 4/3 sensors - both offer over 20 fps output and one is 20 MP. Very likely to be used by Olympus.

"www" 43rumors.com/olympus-may-uses-that-new-sony-20mp-four-thirds-sensor/

Personally I like the higher fps over the higher resolution, especially if it can be matched with a CAF at that speed then 4/3 will become an action/sports camera with real teeth.
I would certainly think no DSLR could run at that fps - unless it was in Live-View (i.e "mirrorless") mode.:D

Grumpy Hec
14th April 2015, 07:08 AM
I saw that as well.

Whilst 20MP sounds great I think that if the 16MP gives better low light performance, low noise and a bigger dynamic range all round I'd go for that in preference to simple pixel chasing.

Personally I see no problem with "resolution" on any of my prints/PDI so the only major gain is perhaps improved detail, again not a real problem I have experienced, or if you want to do some heavy cropping. On the latter point I would say getting it right in camera is the better approach but sometimes of course that doesn't happen for one reason or another.

Either way it all sounds promising for the EM1 -II.

Hec

byegad
14th April 2015, 07:27 AM
I agree Hec. The 12Mp shots from my EP3 and EPM1 will print to A3 and even A2 unless pretty heavily cropped! 16Mp is plenty for me.

Miketoll
14th April 2015, 12:33 PM
Interesting, the main thing for me is does it have phase detection for C-AF preferably with cross type sensors? That in a EM-1 with all the other stuff would be great as long as the C-AF worked really well.

stevewestern
16th April 2015, 06:43 AM
My only frustration with the EM1 is the focus speed, so anything that improves that will be wonderful..

pdk42
16th April 2015, 08:08 AM
I don't need more resolution, but I would like lower noise at higher ISO. The 12 to 16 MP jump improved that a lot, so I'm hoping it's true of the next upgrade too.