PDA

View Full Version : Noob from Northern Ireland!

madasadad
15th November 2008, 10:07 PM
Hi all, I've been a member for a few days or so but haven't had time to introduce myself, too busy looking through the forum. I attempted to enter the DOF competition, so I hope I managed to to it correctly. The forum is a wealth of information and experience and I intend to avail and contribute whatever I can. I saw the E510 twin lens kit on offer and having read nothing but glowing reviews, had to buy it. I've since bought a FL 36 flash and now I'm considering the 70-300 lens. I can see this hobby becoming a bit compulsive!
I'm a complete noob and look forward to soaking up your experience, like a sponge! I might even try a photo of one!

Ellie
15th November 2008, 10:37 PM
http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums/images/smilies/hello3.gif

Hi, good to meet you :)

If you do buy the 70-300 I don't think you'll regret it, unless you've got enough money to buy one of the more expensive lenses. It's really good value, not too heavy and will go well with your E-510 too.

madasadad
15th November 2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks Ellie, I don't think that could justify anything more expensive, since i'm only aspiring to be an amateur! I would have an interest in macro/abstract work? What would be considered as a suitable amateur lens for this type of photography?

StephenL
16th November 2008, 07:35 AM
Hi and welcome! The 70-300 is a great lens. Just remember that 300mm is LONG in 4/3 terms, and don't rely on the IS totally!

Graham_of_Rainham
16th November 2008, 11:14 AM
Welcome to the friendy forum *yes

I use the 70-300 and find it to be better than I expected and very versatile

Have fun

*chr

theMusicMan
16th November 2008, 11:29 AM
Hi madasadad

Firstly, a huge welcome to e-group, we are a friendly bunch, hope you enjoy the site and look forward to seeing all your shots. Please do take advantage of the free gallery space you are allocated, we always love looking at shots.

Secondly: you will do yourself a huge favour if you decide to go and get the Olympus 70-300mm lens... many here will know that I am a huge advocate of this lens. It really is a cracker, and you will soon be taking great shots with it.

I find it extremely diverse, and the lens lends itself to many photographic situations, performing well in all of them. For a 'budget' priced lens, it is a cracker. Have a look at my gallery to see examples of shots taken with it. Look at the birds gallery, and for performance of the lens in low light, have a look in the client gallery>St Julians High School Musical Production gallery.

Go on... you know you want to.

Ellie
16th November 2008, 02:03 PM
The 70-300 and the other kit lenses make a good set.

I think you'll enjoy using it, especially when you can't get very close to the subject. The only limitation is when trying to focus on a very small target at a distance, using f5.6 - something like an insect or the innards of a flower. It's very shallow so it's easy to miss, but it's fun practising. One of the pleasures of digital. :)

I would have an interest in macro/abstract work? What would be considered as a suitable amateur lens for this type of photography?

Once you've got the 70-300 you'll probably want to get either a tripod or a monopod.

After that you'll probably start looking at one of the dedicated macro lenses, only for Oly to throw a spanner in the works by announcing a lovely new camera!

I can see this hobby becoming a bit compulsive!
Yep! Sounds like you're hooked!

JackBenedict
16th November 2008, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the site. Here you will find all the help you need and probably need. There are lots of extremely clever people on this forum( I am not one yet ).

Anyway, from soemeone who hailed originally from Bundoran -- have fun on here.

regards
jack*chr

madasadad
16th November 2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your warm welcome, I entered the DOF competition and will continue to contribute as much as possible to steepen my learning curve.

theMusicMan
16th November 2008, 06:44 PM
I see you edited your post madasadad! naughty naughty... ;)

madasadad
16th November 2008, 08:21 PM
No point me working for MI5 then!
Didn't mean to break ALL the rules during my 1st post!
Sorry

theMusicMan
16th November 2008, 08:37 PM
Hehe, no worries there...