PDA

View Full Version : Cable Release EM-10

Hemlockwood
4th April 2015, 11:21 PM
Anyone recommend a cable release for my Olympus EM-10? I know that I require a RM-UC1 but I but I have tried a non Olympus brand and found it did not work. Trying to save money!!!*chr

Dave in Wales
5th April 2015, 05:30 AM
Pixel RC-201/UC1 Shutter Cable Release with UC1 Type: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hzPA0-0NL.@@AMEPARAM@@41hzPA0-0NL

OlyPaul
5th April 2015, 08:43 AM
Thanks for that Dave just ordered one.;)

IainMacD
5th April 2015, 08:44 AM
Anyone recommend a cable release for my Olympus EM-10? I know that I require a RM-UC1 but I but I have tried a non Olympus brand and found it did not work. Trying to save money!!!*chr

I have had trouble with one of these in the past and found that you have to be 'brave' and push it in really well then it seems to work fine. Have a close look at it when you 'think' it is inserted and see if there is space to push it further.

Hemlockwood
5th April 2015, 10:58 AM
Thank you Dave. I have ordered one from Amazon.*chr

mstphoto
5th April 2015, 11:23 AM
I also bought a cheapy from Amazon
Works a treat - so far ;)

Mike

Dave in Wales
6th April 2015, 05:27 AM
I have had trouble with one of these in the past and found that you have to be 'brave' and push it in really well then it seems to work fine. Have a close look at it when you 'think' it is inserted and see if there is space to push it further.

I've had a couple over time, with never a bit of trouble with them, can only speak as you find.

OlyPaul
7th April 2015, 10:04 AM
Arrived and fits and works perfectly.:)

OM USer
8th April 2015, 03:45 PM
I had a cheap one which works fine and a cheap intervalometer one which requires holding at a slight angle to achieve a consistant connection. It seems to be a bit of a lottery.

Hemlockwood
8th April 2015, 10:48 PM
My cable arrived today and I am pleased to say also works perfectly. Thanks Dave.*chr

byegad
9th April 2015, 07:29 AM
I have a couple of cheap ones from China via eBay. Each cost less than £10, IIRC nearer £5, posted, and work on my EPL5 and EP3 so should do the job on my OM-Ds too.

mstphoto
20th August 2015, 08:46 AM
I recently bought a E-M10 from JohnN here on the forums.
I tried my E-M1 remote which is also a cheapy Amazon version (£3.25) but found that it didn't work. Something was happening as it was focussing but not tripping the shutter.
I ordered another one which stated that it was for the E-M10 and E-M5 with no mention of the E-M1 so I thought it must be different from my own one.
It arrived yesterday and lo and behold it still didn't work.
Out came the Swiss Army Knife and I paired a wee bit off the plastic collar to make the connecter slightly longer and hey presto it works!!
I was rather chuffed with myself as I'm not known for my DIY skills :D

Mike

alfbranch
20th August 2015, 10:23 AM
Here is a higher quality offering that will work with an E-1 E-10 or E-M1 E-M10 you choose which cable you attach and panasonic models.

I now have one and I am happy with it

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/90443/Show.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_term=HROP280%20Remote%20Cable%20Release&gclid=COfNwKG4t8cCFSb3wgod3n8Fig

Hähnel 10007260 HROP280 Cable Remote Release for: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4167vVHec%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@4167vVHec%2BL

Graham_of_Rainham
20th August 2015, 10:29 AM
I use PiXeL products and they have always worked well for me.

I've even cannibalised one to provide RC & AV at the same time, for macro work.

mstphoto
20th August 2015, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the tips guys
I'll keep this in mind when my one packs in.
Afterall, its unknown for an Aberdonian to waste £3 :D

Mike

Gwyver
20th August 2015, 03:27 PM
By way of an alternative that could make use of stuff you might already possess...

If you use a E-M1, E-M10, or E-M5ii - which all have built-in WiFi - then why not use the OI-Share app on a Smartphone as your "Cable Release". You can change the settings on the OI-Share app to select Remote Shutter mode in place of the Remote LiveView and then it behaves just like a cable release but without the need to plug/unplug the tiny, hard to access, USB connector on the camera.

mstphoto
20th August 2015, 05:20 PM
By way of an alternative that could make use of stuff you might already possess...

If you use a E-M1, E-M10, or E-M5ii - which all have built-in WiFi - then why not use the OI-Share app on a Smartphone as your "Cable Release". You can change the settings on the OI-Share app to select Remote Shutter mode in place of the Remote LiveView and then it behaves just like a cable release but without the need to plug/unplug the tiny, hard to access, USB connector on the camera.

Yes, I've used the app - not bad at all
I use a 2 year old iPhone 5 who's battery is flat by the time I get to the end of the street!!
OK, a very slight exaggeration but I can't depend on the phone battery :D

Mike

mstphoto
11th September 2015, 09:30 AM
I tried my E-M1 remote which is also a cheapy Amazon version (£3.25) but found that it didn't work. Something was happening as it was focussing but not tripping the shutter.
I ordered another one which stated that it was for the E-M10 and E-M5 with no mention of the E-M1 so I thought it must be different from my own one.
Out came the Swiss Army Knife and I paired a wee bit off the plastic collar to make the connecter slightly longer and hey presto it works!!

Mike

Don't try this at home folks :mad:
I tried the remote the other day and the innards of the connector detached and stuck inside the camera :eek:
Easily removed with pliers fortunately

Mike

MJ224
16th May 2016, 01:49 PM

Mike

Yes my solution was the same.............

Circumcised the connector and no problems since

;)

MJ224
16th May 2016, 01:50 PM
Don't try this at home folks :mad:
I tried the remote the other day and the innards of the connector detached and stuck inside the camera :eek:
Easily removed with pliers fortunately

Mike

only needs a mm sliced off to make it work.

Certainly in the connector is compromised, start again.

Mj

Wee man
16th May 2016, 02:04 PM
MST you are now top of the DIY class!

Wee Man

lookmore
14th October 2016, 05:20 PM
I have a cheap intervallometer whose connector broke the first time I tried it. The metal part loved my camera so much that when I pulled the cable out the separated from the cable and stayed in the camera... Pulled that gently out and super glued it back into the cable end... Now it kind of works but I can't really recommend it. It is the Ishoot brand.

Sent from my thl 4000

MJ224
18th October 2016, 08:16 PM
I had problems with various cable releases for the Em10

I took an internet suggestion, that was to file down the plastic surround on the cable connector, effectively making the male end longer (ha ha)

Much as the suggestion above by pushing it in further (ha ha ha!!)

Mj