PDA

View Full Version : Oly slave flash, TTL mode with legacy lenses.

Dave in Wales
24th March 2015, 06:28 AM
Do Oly slave flash units, FL-300R for instance, retain TTL capability when used with legacy lenses in stop-down mode?

Ross the fiddler
24th March 2015, 08:06 AM
Do Oly slave flash units, FL-300R for instance, retain TTL capability when used with legacy lenses in stop-down mode?

All compatible Olympus TTL flashes (FL50/R, FL36/R, FL600 & FL300R should (AFAIK) work in TTL attached or wirelessly in RC mode no matter what lens is attached so long as the power to aperture setting & distance is within limits. Those flashes can also be used in FP TTL mode as well.

EDIT Having said that, it may be better to use manual flash for a more consistent result, depending on the subject.

Mdb2
24th March 2015, 08:54 AM
Thankyou both, I wasn't sure how the camera can tell how far away the flash is from the subject?
Thanks again kind regards mike

Ross the fiddler
24th March 2015, 09:35 AM
The wording of "slave" does concern me though. If a flash is used in slave mode then it won't be using TTL but just Auto if that is how it was set up. Compatible flashes in RC mode can still be using TTL though.

Ross the fiddler
24th March 2015, 10:59 AM
Thankyou both, I wasn't sure how the camera can tell how far away the flash is from the subject?
Thanks again kind regards mike

I don't think it's the distance it measures but just the amount of light on the subject it sees in the pre-flash & adjusts the main flash accordingly. The one thing that would be necessary though would be to set the focal length manually on the flash, but that is more for the angle of beam it produces though to optimise the light coverage & not make it narrower than the angle of view of that of the lens.

I was recently photographing a small jumping spider on a shiny black surface & it was frequently not firing the main flash but just the pre-flash which is (was) quite low.

Dave in Wales
24th March 2015, 11:45 AM
Thanks all.
I'd like to use two FL-300R's in TTL mode with a Canon 28mm reversed on bellows. They would be triggered by the on board EM1 flash.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Dave

Ross the fiddler
24th March 2015, 12:45 PM
Thanks all.
I'd like to use two FL-300R's in TTL mode with a Canon 28mm reversed on bellows. They would be triggered by the on board EM1 flash.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Dave

I have done similar a few years ago (OM28 reversed on bellows) & I can't remember if TTL was great for that. I think you're better off using manual (RC or slave triggered) for a controlled flash. It gets pretty dark through the lens like that but thankfully Live View Boost On makes a great difference.
Here is that photo. The fly wasn't going anywhere because it got stuck on my glue pot.
http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/503/PC168486xs.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/16600)

Just another thought. You could try an angled sheet of white paper off the end of the bellows to diffuse one main flash on the camera. It can be very effective with even lighting.

Dave in Wales
25th March 2015, 07:13 AM
Thanks Ross,
I'm building up a bellows system, it takes ages for the cheap adapters to arrive from China, but I'm almost there.
I picked up an as new, inexpensive, set of bellows from Ffordes.
As for lighting I'm going to try first my Oly Ring flash RF-11, hopefully in TTL mode.
My lenses will be reversed, and I have two, a CanonFD 28mm and a Pentax K 50mm.
When working distance does not permit the R/F to be mounted on the lens I have a system for mounting it horizontally above the subject. I'm hoping that this may solve the lighting problem, maybe areas of the R/F will need blanking off.
Whatever, it's all great fun.
When the rig is finished I'll post a couple of pics.

Ross the fiddler
25th March 2015, 10:44 AM
That sounds like fun & yes, I had to wait for adapters & in fact I had to modify one for my bellows back then. The 28mm lens will give you the most magnification (of the two) reversed with about 1" of working distance, from memory. I used an OM to 4/3's adapter attached to the back of the lens to activate the aperture iris lever. I don't know if the Canon lens would need similar or not, because I have a Canon 50mm f1.8 in front of me now (came with a Canon AE-1 film camera) & it looks like it would be the only way that I can see to allow the aperture to be activated without it sitting at f5.6 opening. I think I had to set the focus with a wide aperture at first & carefully close it down without moving it for the exposure. This is where the 'Auto' bellows (with a cable) would be useful.

Dave in Wales
25th March 2015, 07:48 PM
That sounds like fun & yes, I had to wait for adapters & in fact I had to modify one for my bellows back then. The 28mm lens will give you the most magnification (of the two) reversed with about 1" of working distance, from memory. I used an OM to 4/3's adapter attached to the back of the lens to activate the aperture iris lever. I don't know if the Canon lens would need similar or not, because I have a Canon 50mm f1.8 in front of me now (came with a Canon AE-1 film camera) & it looks like it would be the only way that I can see to allow the aperture to be activated without it sitting at f5.6 opening. I think I had to set the focus with a wide aperture at first & carefully close it down without moving it for the exposure. This is where the 'Auto' bellows (with a cable) would be useful.

I have a FD Adapter on the back of the 28mm, this has an open/close feature for stopping down, also acts as a hood. The Pentax K 50 mm does not need an adapter the iris is operated simply by the aperture ring. However, I have an adapter for the ring flash attachment and to act as a hood.

Ross the fiddler
25th March 2015, 08:58 PM
I have a FD Adapter on the back of the 28mm, this has an open/close feature for stopping down, also acts as a hood. The Pentax K 50 mm does not need an adapter the iris is operated simply by the aperture ring. However, I have an adapter for the ring flash attachment and to act as a hood.

That all sounds good! *chr

Harold Gough
6th June 2015, 04:05 PM
I use FL-50R and FL-300R together as twin flash, on various off-camera brackets with legacy lenses for macro. I mostly use them with the camera in manual mode (EM-1) and with compulsory flash setting. TTL metering works very well. Beware of setting FP mode as the FL-300 will sulk and not work. Watch out for low battery power in the FL-50R as it will continue to flash but will but communicate with the 300 by RC.

The control unit for this setup is the FL-LM2 on the hot shoe, switched in the flash menu off but popped up. Alternatively, the FL-50R can be on the hot shoe.

Harold

Harold Gough
16th November 2015, 02:11 PM
I use FL-50R and FL-300R together as twin flash, on various off-camera brackets with legacy lenses for macro. I mostly use them with the camera in manual mode (EM-1) and with compulsory flash setting. TTL metering works very well. Beware of setting FP mode as the FL-300 will sulk and not work. Watch out for low battery power in the FL-50R as it will continue to flash but will but communicate with the 300 by RC.

The control unit for this setup is the FL-LM2 on the hot shoe, switched in the flash menu off but popped up. Alternatively, the FL-50R can be on the hot shoe.

Harold

For suitable locations, I now often place my two 300Rs on spiked mini tripods.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/46/1215546.jpg

Harold