PDA

View Full Version : Contemplation in the Cathedral

shirley
13th November 2008, 01:38 PM
A couple of photographs taken as part of a series in St Albans cathedral.

Contemplation
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Contemplation3_edited-1.jpg

A meditative moment
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/A_meditative_moment_edited-1.jpg

HughofBardfield
13th November 2008, 02:34 PM
Both very nice - I particularly like the first one. Lovely candid portrait. I also like the fact he is facing away from the preacher as though in disdain!

Ian
13th November 2008, 02:42 PM
The photo detective in me has spotted some selective blurring and it's a bit of a give-away. The nearer cross link under the chair is more blurred than the one further away :)

There is also a haze around the man's head.

Good try, but needs more attention to detail (sorry!)

The second one is thought-provoking composition and the choice of mono was a good one for both.

Ian

shirley
13th November 2008, 02:49 PM
The photo detective in me has spotted some selective blurring and it's a bit of a give-away. The nearer cross link under the chair is more blurred than the one further away :)

There is also a haze around the man's head.

Good try, but needs more attention to detail (sorry!)

The second one is thought-provoking composition and the choice of mono was a good one for both.

Ian

You are absolutely right, no need to apologise. I have had the problem with the haze around the head before when I have selected an area, I am not sure how to prevent that - I am sure it must be possible. I suspect it is something to do with feathering (or not) the edges of the selection.

StephenL
13th November 2008, 03:05 PM
The chap in the chair also seems to have lost his hand. But nice mono treatment - you've got the contrast just right, in my opinion.

shirley
13th November 2008, 03:42 PM
With a little more care and attention to detail, is this an improvement?

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/contemplation_6.jpg

Nick Temple-Fry
13th November 2008, 03:55 PM
I like the concept of the first shot, and almost like the execution. But I want the man in the chair to be better defined against the background, I can't help suspect this is a crop and Shirley has tried to rectify the dof in pp, in which case it is a pity because the image has a very good overall composition.

The second one - well I'm still puzzling over it, it doesn't quite grab me as well as I think it should. I wonder if it is because of the partial chair and whether cropping through the centre of the back to the front rhs corner might help. I'd also be inclined to make it all a bit more contrasty to strengthen the impact of the screen/white walls.

Nick

shirley
13th November 2008, 04:40 PM
Yes the first one is a crop. I was in the Cathedral and wasnt really supposed to take pics in the service, so I set to wide angle and shot from the hip, managed to take a few like that. The problem is that, in those circumstances, it is impossible to compose the picture properly so pp is necessary. Personally I think the second attempt at pp is better, I could blur the background more and reduce brightness to make the man on the chair stand out more but I think that would look even more false.

DannyH
14th November 2008, 12:33 AM
Shirley, I really like the first ones DOF, striking sharpness and going b&w. The improved version looks great.