PDA

View Full Version : New Olympus Lens Roadmap?

HughofBardfield
13th November 2008, 12:34 PM
From a thread on the DPReview Olympus forum:

"It seems that Olympus has gotten around to updating the lens roadmap again. See http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/lenses/pdf/zuiko_lens_eng.pdf

There are no new lenses on the roadmap. I'm guessing we may see a surprise introduction or two, but most of the R&D is likely focused on micro4/3.

The 100mm macro is still on the roadmap, but has been pushed back again - it is now listed as "Release planned for AFTER 2009"!!?"

Allegedly the PDF linked to was updated on "4 November 2008". I find it very worrying that there is nothing else new on here... :[ Maybe Ian's contacts at Olympus could confirm whether this is kosher? From my PoV, it certainly appears to cast doubt on Olympus's continuing support for "standard" Four Thirds. Nice though the E30 undoubtedly will be, other than a new sensor and an electronic level, is there anything really new in there???

What do others think?

dbutch
13th November 2008, 12:48 PM
Perhaps they are planning a few more mark II lenses - either to improve the focus for live view or to add SWD - what the road map does show is a pretty well covered range in each grade, but thats not to say its complete!

Dave

Nick Temple-Fry
13th November 2008, 02:40 PM
The problem with the lens roadmap is that it fades away at 300mm (200 if you don't want the compromised speed of the 70-300 or the mortgage of the 300 f2.8). Anything over 300mm, well there's only the Sigma 135-400 (if you can still find one) or the 50-500.

One of the principal advantages behind the idea of 4/3'rd is its ability to deliver higher apparent magnification from a given focal length than a larger sensor. A character trait ideal for bird/nature/wildlife photography. And also one which fits well with the adoption of sensor based IS in that it removes the need for a longer lens (which probably would often be used on a support anyway) to incorporate that additional cost/technology.

Length sells, not only does it sell itself, but its prescence would drag up sales lower down the range of lenses and camera bodies. It would give the range an affordable aspirational lens and play on its strength (and that of the dust/weather sealed body of the E-3) as the serious contender for wildlife photography.

Oh well

Nick