PDA

View Full Version : Olympus 9mm f1.8 ?

pdk42
9th March 2015, 08:31 PM
I really hope this is true:

http://www.dailycameranews.com/2014/08/olympus-9mm-pro-lens-feature-f1-8-aperture/

Simon Bee
9th March 2015, 09:04 PM
I really hope this is true:

http://www.dailycameranews.com/2014/08/olympus-9mm-pro-lens-feature-f1-8-aperture/

Would indeed be a nice wide and fast prime Paul. I notice however that the date of the rumour is Sept '14 ....... some 18 months ago so I'm not so sure about the likelihood of it becoming a reality. Then again just because we have not heard any official statement it doesn't mean it's not in the pipeline;)

What would be interesting is should such a lens become reality how will it compare to the upcoming 7-14 pro. By that I mean how much more compact would such a fast 9mm be and how would it compare price wise?

As much as I personally prefer primes I think in this instance "I" would most likely find the 7-14 f2.8 a wiser option for "me" as 9mm ( 18mm in 135 film terms ) would be used for landscapes and detailed interiors and as such the regular apertures used would be f5.6 to f8.

Would admittedly make an interesting addition to the lens range though.

Kind regards, Simon

pdk42
9th March 2015, 09:35 PM
Would indeed be a nice wide and fast prime Paul. I notice however that the date of the rumour is Sept '14 ....... some 18 months ago so I'm not so sure about the likelihood of it becoming a reality. Then again just because we have not heard any official statement it doesn't mean it's not in the pipeline;)

What would be interesting is should such a lens become reality how will it compare to the upcoming 7-14 pro. By that I mean how much more compact would such a fast 9mm be and how would it compare price wise?

As much as I personally prefer primes I think in this instance "I" would most likely find the 7-14 f2.8 a wiser option for "me" as 9mm ( 18mm in 135 film terms ) would be used for landscapes and detailed interiors and as such the regular apertures used would be f5.6 to f8.

Would admittedly make an interesting addition to the lens range though.

Kind regards, Simon
What I really want Simon is a wide angle lens that takes filters. I agree that the new 7-14 f2.8 Pro looks great - except that it's got a large and bulbous front element and no filter thread.

The new Kowa 8.5mm f2.8 looks like it might fit the bill, but it seems the corner performance is still pretty weak (and it's over a 1000).

Simon Bee
9th March 2015, 09:42 PM
What I really want Simon is a wide angle lens that takes filters.

That is a good point Paul,

I am sure there will be a 'solution' for the zoom from Lee or similar but admittedly at a not inconsiderable cost;)

Kind regards, Simon

David M
9th March 2015, 10:12 PM
There will probably be various solutions to filtering the new 7-14 as there are the existing 7-14 lenses.

It's probably better Olympus don't put lenses on their lens roadmap these days. I'm still waiting for the fast, telephoto macro from 2003.

Simon Bee
9th March 2015, 10:40 PM
It's probably better Olympus don't put lenses on their lens roadmap these days. I'm still waiting for the fast, telephoto macro from 2003.

Good point David :eek:

Kind regards, Simon

wontolla
10th March 2015, 02:10 PM
Well first of all the news was dated August 2014, which makes it less than 8 months ago, not 18! Thats not a long time going by other 'promised' lens launches! as David M so rightly points out.

OM USer
10th March 2015, 06:49 PM
The 7-14mm F2.8 Pro and a possible 9mm F1.8 Pro are both a bit expensive for occassional use (obviously guessing at a price for the 9mm), nice though that focal length would be. I'd settle for the first at F4 and the second at F2.8 (especially if it was small), and at half the price.

Simon Bee
10th March 2015, 10:22 PM
Well first of all the news was dated August 2014, which makes it less than 8 months ago, not 18! Thats not a long time going by other 'promised' lens launches! as David M so rightly points out.

Opps ... got the year mixed up again, I keep thinking we're in 2016 already:eek:

Kind regards, Simon

Simon Bee
10th March 2015, 10:25 PM
The 7-14mm F2.8 Pro and a possible 9mm F1.8 Pro are both a bit expensive for occassional use (obviously guessing at a price for the 9mm), nice though that focal length would be. I'd settle for the first at F4 and the second at F2.8 (especially if it was small), and at half the price.

Same here, though I probably will end up with the 7-14 F2.8 at some point.

Kind regards, Simon

mstphoto
11th March 2015, 07:54 AM
That would be rather tasty but what would probably make me to take the plunge and go totally Olympus is the rumoured 300 f4 *yes

wontolla
11th March 2015, 07:18 PM
Hmmm, I don't think I will get too excited just yet.
Maybe, IF they announce one or all of the rumored lenses, maybe.

davidflett
20th March 2015, 11:12 PM
I like to imagine that they could make a cheap, small, wide prime. 7, 8 or 9, f 2.8. Would satisfy an amateur like me!

Zuiko
21st March 2015, 01:17 AM
I'm still waiting for the fast, telephoto macro from 2003.

....turns out it's a little slow. :D

David M
21st March 2015, 01:32 AM
That was the description on the roadmap John. There was also a 'Fast Wide' at around 14mm and a 'Fast Mid-Telephoto' at around 45mm on the roadmap that never made it.

Zuiko
21st March 2015, 01:59 AM
That was the description on the roadmap John. There was also a 'Fast Wide' at around 14mm and a 'Fast Mid-Telephoto' at around 45mm on the roadmap that never made it.

The 45mm sort of made it, only with a different mount! :D

drmarkf
21st March 2015, 07:53 AM
I'm going to have a decision to make over keeping the Panny 7-14 or getting the new Oly f2.8. These days I seem to use ultra-wide angle less, and I don't find the panasonic's flare too much of a problem, with care. Filter possibilities will affect the decision, but at the moment I'm thinking I probably won't leap in.

As I've said before, what I'd really like is a proper ultra-wide, compact pro prime that will take screw-in filters, say a 5 or 6mm f4. That would be wonderful for travel landscapes and interiors: I tend to use the 7-14 always at the short end and any 'zooming' necessary is easily done with small changes of position or angle. A m4/3 7mm is barely in to the ultra-wide territory, anyway.

Personally I think the zoom function at those focal lengths mainly just adds weight, size, cost, distortion and CA!