PDA

View Full Version : Does this work?

StephenL
12th November 2008, 12:07 PM
I'm undecided whether this works - both compositionally and in colour.

http://www.stephenleephotography.co.uk/e-3-20099.jpg

Ian
12th November 2008, 12:17 PM
Not really. The sky is washed out and the land is too dark.

Ian

StephenL
12th November 2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks Ian. I think you've put your finger on what I saw but didn't see, if you see what I mean!

PeterD
12th November 2008, 12:20 PM
Hi Stephen

I think the composition is fine but worry about the lighting. The general tone gets brighter from left to right and the sky is blown on the RHS. This suggests the sun was at your right shoulder or even forward of you.
As I said above there is nothing wrong with the composition (IMHO) and I like the balance you have achieved with the tractor. Colour wise, its autumn so I expect a brownish predominance.

Peter

StephenL
12th November 2008, 12:27 PM
Yes, I was practically shooting into the sun.

PeterD
12th November 2008, 12:35 PM
I thought so. I make a rule that I rarely shoot if the sun is forward of me. It tends to make colours washed out and detail is lost.Try the same shot (assuming its close by) when the sun is behind you and you will see the difference that makes. This is probably the reason Ian made the comment he did.

Peter

StephenL
12th November 2008, 01:44 PM
I think the tractor might have moved by then:D

snaarman
12th November 2008, 03:52 PM
I agree the dynamic range has clipped the sky, maybe that could be rescued with some Raw recovery..

Composition? The skyline tower - trees - tractor thing makes an interesting if unconventional axis, but there is something not quite perfect..

I would prefer the tractor to be heading into the frame, not out of it (plus the usual ploughman's seagull flock if it can be arranged). Also if I put my thumb over the trees intersecting the skyline it seems to improve..

That's it, take the identical shot from about 15 feet higher :)

Pete

StephenL
12th November 2008, 03:55 PM
There was only one sad looking gull around, despite only being 300 yards from the sea!

plus the usual ploughman's seagull flock if it can be arranged
Pete

Ellie
13th November 2008, 11:36 PM
I think the tractor might have moved by then:D
What a spoilsport! :p

Nick Temple-Fry
13th November 2008, 11:57 PM
I'd almost like the effect of the sun fading the colours to be more pronounced. At the moment it doesn't quite look deliberate.

I'd crop on the lhs where the trees start, at the moment it sort of just slopes out.

Nick