PDA

View Full Version : Image Stabilisation when on Tripod?

rayton
26th February 2015, 07:42 AM
Should IS be off when using a tripod and if yes then which menu is it in please?

Grumpy Hec
26th February 2015, 08:44 AM
Quick answer is yes it should. At least that is what them wot have looked at it say!!

The theory is that IS can actively introduce blur by virtue of the way it works. I have not proved or disproved this but I have no reason to doubt those who have considered this in some depth

I do it from the super menu in the screen.

It's one of the settings I would like to see as a button assignable function as I do switch from hand held to tripod a lot.

BigTom
26th February 2015, 10:15 AM
Yeah the accepted wisdom is to disable it for tripod use, although again I've never objectively checked to see if it makes a difference. I also have to admit to leaving it on sometimes when doing long exposures in windy conditions with my lightweight travel tripod.

rayton
26th February 2015, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the prompt replies. I will switch IS off when using a tripod. I agree a quick change button would be useful.

snerkler
26th February 2015, 11:46 AM
They always recommend turning off IBIS and I always try to remember, BUT there have been numerous occasions when I have forgotten to do so and seen no ill effects, even on long exposures.

Zuiko
26th February 2015, 11:52 AM
It's a shame that the camera can't sense when something is screwed into the tripod mount and turn off the IS automatically.

rayton
26th February 2015, 11:57 AM
Thanks and yes the memory lets me down too frequently so I have pinned a note in the camera bag!

snerkler
26th February 2015, 11:58 AM
It's a shame that the camera can't sense when something is screwed into the tripod mount and turn off the IS automatically.

Would be good, but then you might have it on a monopod which isn't quite as stable ;)

snerkler
26th February 2015, 11:59 AM
Thanks and yes the memory lets me down too frequently so I have pinned a note in the camera bag!

lol *laugh

Zuiko
26th February 2015, 12:03 PM
Would be good, but then you might have it on a monopod which isn't quite as stable ;)

True, and sometimes I use the camera hand held with a quick release plate still attached. There could be an option to overide the Auto IS Off function.

snerkler
26th February 2015, 12:04 PM
True, and sometimes I use the camera hand held with a quick release plate still attached. There could be an option to overide the Auto IS Off function.

Well I guess the best solution is for us to stop being numpties and remember to turn it off when on a tripod *laugh

drmarkf
26th February 2015, 01:32 PM
Well I guess the best solution is for us to stop being numpties and remember to turn it off when on a tripod *laugh

Guilty as charged. In my defence I'd just say that the more one fiddles the more opportunities there are for forgetting to turn something off...

snerkler
26th February 2015, 01:34 PM
Guilty as charged. In my defence I'd just say that the more one fiddles the more opportunities there are for forgetting to turn something off...

Yeah, that's the problem. I've actually now set up a myset for landscape with IBIS off so that I don't have to keep remembering ;)

Greytop
26th February 2015, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies. I will switch IS off when using a tripod. I agree a quick change button would be useful.

If you haven't already I suggest you enable Super Control Panel, here is a link (http://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/olympus-super-control-panel-super/) to a useful easy to follow guide from Damian McGillicuddy.

ian p
26th February 2015, 01:56 PM
I have a MySet for Tripod:
IS = OFF
Shuttor Shock Delay = 1/8s
ISO = 200
...other things I've forgotten.

Use MySet 3 to remember Tripod=3.

drmarkf
26th February 2015, 02:08 PM
I have a MySet for Tripod:
IS = OFF
Shuttor Shock Delay = 1/8s
ISO = 200
...other things I've forgotten.

Use MySet 3 to remember Tripod=3.

What a great idea - we should ask Oly to incorporate it in the firmware!

'Tripod' would suit me rather than something to do with Landscape since I do a lot of macro on tripods as well as landscape.

rayton
26th February 2015, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the useful link Huw. Just what I needed. Interesting settings Ian thanks but is there a 'Shutter Shock Delay' setting on the E-M10? I can't find it and don't know when it should be used.
Ray

ian p
26th February 2015, 02:44 PM
On the E-M5 to set the amount of delay it's: Menu -> Gear E -> Anti Shock.
Then on the SCP under Single/Continuous frame modes, pick one with a diamond symbol to activate it.

Details (http://thumati.com/chronicle/2013/4/7/setting-up-olympus-omd-em5)

rayton
26th February 2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks Ian. Found it and will research its use. Ray

snerkler
26th February 2015, 03:45 PM
For me it's best to use it when on a tripod using a shutter release or shutter delay. I'm not sure if there's any point using it handheld, maybe others do and find it useful? I've personally not suffered shutter shock.

How does the anti shock work on the EM10, is it an electronic front curtain?

rayton
26th February 2015, 05:19 PM
This prompts another question for me - is a cable release possible on the E-10 and if yes can anyone suggest a source? I sometimes use the self-timer for landscapes on a tripod but am preparing for bird shots on a tripod in a hide.

snerkler
26th February 2015, 06:12 PM
This prompts another question for me - is a cable release possible on the E-10 and if yes can anyone suggest a source? I sometimes use the self-timer for landscapes on a tripod but am preparing for bird shots on a tripod in a hide.

I have this remote shutter release that works perfectly, I'm hoping it works equally well on the EM5-II

Wireless Remote Control Shutter Release for Olympus PEN: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YbJYgqfSL.@@AMEPARAM@@41YbJYgqfSL

snerkler
26th February 2015, 07:04 PM
OK, so I've read a bit into the EM10 antishock, and from info on DP review it is an electronic first curtain, which then begs the question why is there a time delay? Obviously when you didn't have an electronic first curtain you needed a delay after the shutter closed before opening the shutter, but I can't see why you'd need a delay with an electronic first curtain? If it's to reduce movement from pressing the shutter button then I'd use the timer delay and have 2s, as things like 1/8s aren't going be long enough to reduce camera shake.

rayton
26th February 2015, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the Wireless Remote Control Release link. Looks useful and will investigate.
Interesting comments on the E-M10 anti-shock. I don't think I will use it.

snerkler
26th February 2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the Wireless Remote Control Release link. Looks useful and will investigate.
Interesting comments on the E-M10 anti-shock. I don't think I will use it.

The only thing I will say that if you use continuous drive mode for bracketing it doesn't stop at the end of the bracket IIRC. Not an issue to count 3 or 5 shutter actions and then releasing the button though ;)

PaulB
26th February 2015, 11:16 PM
I couldn't get the anti-shock settings to work on my EM-10; I hadn't upgraded the firmware and as soon as I did, bingo! Little diamonds as per Ians post.
There's a post on another forum about shutter shock with E-M10 with images that appear to show the anti-shock setting do actually improve image sharpness and comments from one person who says he sees shutter shock at 1/400sec but not 1/320sec which is where the anti shock electronic curtain stops.
I have enabled the anti-shock (0) now on my EM-10.

David M
26th February 2015, 11:45 PM
If you don't turn it on you don't have to remember to turn it off. :D

snerkler
27th February 2015, 07:03 AM
I couldn't get the anti-shock settings to work on my EM-10; I hadn't upgraded the firmware and as soon as I did, bingo! Little diamonds as per Ians post.
There's a post on another forum about shutter shock with E-M10 with images that appear to show the anti-shock setting do actually improve image sharpness and comments from one person who says he sees shutter shock at 1/400sec but not 1/320sec which is where the anti shock electronic curtain stops.
I have enabled the anti-shock (0) now on my EM-10.

Do you use it all the time, or just when using a tripod?

RogerMac
27th February 2015, 08:05 AM
On second thoughts I am not sure of my facts so I am deleting this post

PaulB
27th February 2015, 10:11 AM
@ snerkler: The anti shock I leave on all the time, the ibis I turn off when using a tripod.
I also have a similar wireless shutter release to yourself and find it very good.

I also have the em10 set up wirelessly to my smartphone which is really good. I haven't tried it at any sort of range though so don't know if you can put the camera next to a bird feeder and watch and control the camera from say 10 metres away.

rayton
27th February 2015, 01:04 PM
Thanks Paul. I must try wirelessly with my iPhone. Ray