PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Colour Management

ChrisW
12th November 2008, 09:21 AM
Until yesterday I have been using one monitor on my computer, and then I added a second and noticed a huge difference in the colour rendition between monitors.

This made me question, which monitors colour rendition, if any, was correct, also, was either correct.

Having done some net searching I found that there is a quite a choice of equipment available for colour management.

The monitors I am using are a couple of 19 Dell flats screens. They are by no means high tech/spec and came as part of computer bundles.

What would be your preferences for colour management equipment?

Jim Ford
12th November 2008, 09:28 AM
The Xrite Eye 1 Display 2 usually gets recommended over the rivals. I've got one and it did the job very well and was easy to use. I use a ColorMunki now because it can profile my printers as well.

I can recommend the late Bruce Fraser's 'Real World Color Management' published by Peachpit Press for all you need to know about colour management. Bruce Fraser was an authority on digital imaging and all his books are authoritative and well written.

Jim

StephenL
12th November 2008, 11:24 AM
I use the Huey Pro to profile my twin monitors, which it seems to do well, but if I had the money and inclination I would consider the ColorMunki because of its printer profiling capabilities, which is at least as important as monitor calibration.

maccabeej
12th November 2008, 12:34 PM
I use Colorvision Spyder Mk1 which had some criticism for inaccuracy but have never had a problem. If changing I would go with ColorMunki for the same reason as Stephen. With two monitors using most of software packages I would use 1 for image and the other for menu/palettes.
Jim

Wreckdiver
12th November 2008, 12:47 PM
I have used twin monitors on my PCs for many years and I calibrate using the Spyder Pro.

One thing to remember is that with PCs running Windows you generally only calibrate the master display (Macs, I believe, can have two monitors calibrated).

If you want to calibrate two monitors on a Windows PC then you need either two graphics cards or a dual graphics card that has two graphics chips feeding separate output ports. You calibrate each monitor individually and create separate profiles for each monitor. Note that only PCI express video cards may handle two profiles at the same time.

Steve

crimbo
12th November 2008, 04:54 PM
... Note that only PCI express video cards may handle two profiles at the same time.

Steve

With the Spyder2 and Vista and a PCI Express card the only 'feature' i have is that I have to switch to one monitor only rather than dual and calibrate that and then switch the second monitor in and calibrate the second under dual monitors... but it works

ChrisW
13th November 2008, 11:00 PM
Many thanks for the suggestions - I'll add them to my list for Santa and hope that he does not try to fob me off with the usual Ferrero Rocher, jumpers and socks again!

ianinsuffolk
18th November 2008, 09:54 AM
Taken much sweat and tears but have moved to Spyder 3 to callibrate screen and free printer callibration on a Canon i4500 using PermaJet papers.

Results are at last superb. What I got in the 510 is what is on the paper!

Ian