PDA

View Full Version : E-3 power grip question

StephenL
11th November 2008, 12:06 PM
Having just acquired a HLD-4 for my E-3, I wonder about the low power indication. Does the low battery icon flash when just one battery is running low, or does it wait till both are almost dead? Is there a sequence of use of batteries or does it take power randomly?

theMusicMan
11th November 2008, 12:23 PM
As far as I am aware Stephen, the battery indicator illuminates green when the battery is low, and from then you have around 50-80 or so shots left before the battery indicator illuminates red. From then you have minimal time if any at all before it turns itself off!

Of late, I have been having trouble with my HLD-4, and last week I removed it. With two batteries fully charged, I was only managing around 170 shots - which is a clear indicator that something was amiss. I removed the HLD-4, and took around 400 shots before I changed the battery. Even then the indicator was not showing green or red, I changed because I didn't want it dying on me during a shoot.

Up to now though the HLD-4 has been excellent, I am not sure what the issue is with it.

Naticle
11th November 2008, 12:41 PM
I think both batteries drain equally. I always charge both of mine at the same time.

TMM - Yes that is not many shots at all I can get around 1500 shots then I have to charge them up. Although I don't let them go flat.

Ian
11th November 2008, 12:42 PM
As far as I am aware Stephen, the battery indicator illuminates green when the battery is low, and from then you have around 50-80 or so shots left before the battery indicator illuminates red. From then you have minimal time if any at all before it turns itself off!

Of late, I have been having trouble with my HLD-4, and last week I removed it. With two batteries fully charged, I was only managing around 170 shots - which is a clear indicator that something was amiss. I removed the HLD-4, and took around 400 shots before I changed the battery. Even then the indicator was not showing green or red, I changed because I didn't want it dying on me during a shoot.

Up to now though the HLD-4 has been excellent, I am not sure what the issue is with it.

Obvious question is - are you using BLM-1s or a third party battery? One other obvious thing to do is clean contacts. My HLD-4 seems to be behaving itself. At the Keyhaven day the camera was on all day and I took several hundred shots (JPEG + RAW) without needing a battery change.

Ian

theMusicMan
11th November 2008, 12:45 PM
I hadn't thought of cleaning the contacts Ian, I might have a go at that later today and reinstate the power grip for further tests.

I have two official Oly batteries and two replacement third party ones and regardless which ones I have in the power grip, these last 4-6 weeks I had only been getting between 150-200 shots with it attached.

I'll do some cleaning later, and report back with the results in a week or so's time. Ta for the tip Ian!