PDA

View Full Version : How about a bi-weekly/monthly challenge for here too...?

theMusicMan
18th December 2007, 11:55 AM
Hey All

I know there are already several weekly/fortnightly/monthly challenges taking place on the various forums we are all members of, but how about having one on here too?

I especially like Ians idea of the FTU's Salon fortnightly challenge, and wondered if it would be a good idea to have a similar challenge set up and running on here.

I know that often there are not many entries for these type of challenges, but at least it could provide some inspiration for us at times when we have the togs equivalent of writers cramp!! :)

So... whatcha think...? is this something that (1) Ian would permit, and (2) could yield some spectacular images from Olympus cameras through the course of the year, (3) could form the basis of an award from Olympus on an annual basis (as, though managed by Ian, the site is theirs I believe after all!!)

Good idea...? bad idea...? thoughts fellow Oly's :)

PeterD
18th December 2007, 12:03 PM
Hey All

I know there are already several weekly/fortnightly/monthly challenges taking place on the various forums we are all members of, but how about having one on here too?

I especially like Ians idea of the FTU's Salon fortnightly challenge, and wondered if it would be a good idea to have a similar challenge set up and running on here.

I know that often there are not many entries for these type of challenges, but at least it could provide some inspiration for us at times when we have the togs equivalent of writers cramp!! :)

So... whatcha think...? is this something that (1) Ian would permit, and (2) could yield some spectacular images from Olympus cameras through the course of the year, (3) could form the basis of an award from Olympus on an annual basis (as, though managed by Ian, the site is theirs I believe after all!!)

Good idea...? bad idea...? thoughts fellow Oly's :)

I think that is a very good idea. Apart from assisting in improving standards etc., it would bring together members in exchanging ideas and techniques. Certainly it should improve the community spirit and provide Olympus with additional information to include in their bulletins/newsletters.

Kind regards

PeterD

emirpprime
18th December 2007, 01:09 PM
Yes! :D

Phil

j.baker
18th December 2007, 01:26 PM
I think that this is a good idea. I would be up for it.

Chillimonster
18th December 2007, 01:58 PM
Sounds good - Count me in!

I like the way TPf hold the competitions where the entries are annonymous, as opposed to other forums where you know beforehand who has submitted what. On those forums it is more of a popularity contest than a photo comp.

Ijay37
18th December 2007, 03:17 PM
I think it would be a good idea monthly, fortnighly might be a bit much.
John

theMusicMan
18th December 2007, 03:28 PM
I think it would be a good idea monthly, fortnighly might be a bit much.
JohnNothing would be mandatory though...:) Don't have to submit if you are unable to. If you were able to enter one a month, then running once a fortnight would still fulfill your requirements yeah? :)

The way I see it is that there is somewhat of a trade off. The more often there is a challenge, the fewer likely entries there'd be, but then there would be more inspiration provided for those who wish to take pics and enter (or take pics and not enter).

sapper
18th December 2007, 03:56 PM
Yeh, why not.
Dave.

theMusicMan
18th December 2007, 03:58 PM
IIIAAANNNNNNNNN........ we need you... :)

Nick Temple-Fry
18th December 2007, 04:03 PM
Fourtnightly sounds right.

Maybe limit it to photos taken in response to the challenge.

Ask that EXIF be retained.

Limitation on post processing and/or requirement for explanation of what post processing has been applied.

I'm all for anything that gets us takeing photos that extend our skills/repertoire.

Nick

ndl0071
18th December 2007, 04:20 PM
Looking forward to it already:)

Barr1e
18th December 2007, 05:20 PM
It would seem Ian has taken advice from one of the members and is taking some well deserved rest!!

If you believe that well I'm a ..................:eek:

You can add my name to the growing list as I rather enjoy this part of the hobby.

Regards. Barr1e

beardedwombat
18th December 2007, 07:49 PM
I'm all for it. Judging from the 'Show us your Doorway' thread, I think it would be popular. It will certainly encourage us to get out and about with our cameras. Since this is a very friendly forum, I doubt that anyone will be over critical so those new to DSLRs should be encouraged to enter.
Chris

theMusicMan
18th December 2007, 08:03 PM
I'm all for it. Judging from the 'Show us your Doorway' thread, I think it would be popular. It will certainly encourage us to get out and about with our cameras. Since this is a very friendly forum, I doubt that anyone will be over critical so those new to DSLRs should be encouraged to enter.
ChrisAbsolutely Chris, this was my intention. This is a great forum, it has started in exactly the way I'd imagine Ian (and Olympus) would have wanted it to start, and anything that encourages us to take more pics, provides inspiration, and helps us all improve from others can't be a bad thing.

Scapula Memory
18th December 2007, 09:48 PM
Great idea John. All for this, any reason to go out more with the camera. I would think monthly might better until the membership rises. Hope you can get it going. In the meantime hopefully got a caption comp going just for fun in the Foto Fair section.

regards

John.

theMusicMan
20th December 2007, 11:07 PM
Sounds good - Count me in!

I like the way TPf hold the competitions where the entries are annonymous, as opposed to other forums where you know beforehand who has submitted what. On those forums it is more of a popularity contest than a photo comp.I quite agree Chris, anonymity might be a good idea here - however, there would be no vote involved if we were to run this in a similar manner to the Salon on FTU, simply that the person who starts the salon chooses the winner.

Fourtnightly sounds right.

Maybe limit it to photos taken in response to the challenge.

Ask that EXIF be retained.

Limitation on post processing and/or requirement for explanation of what post processing has been applied.

I'm all for anything that gets us takeing photos that extend our skills/repertoire.

Nick
All good ideas Nick, thanks.

Hopefully Ian will be back soon and can provide some input as to if this would be permitted in here.

Chillimonster
21st December 2007, 08:49 AM
I quite agree Chris, anonymity might be a good idea here - however, there would be no vote involved if we were to run this in a similar manner to the Salon on FTU, simply that the person who starts the salon chooses the winner.

If its a case of not having someone to collate the results received by PM and post a results thread etc, then it's not a major problem for me to take up that role if needed :) (Its about time i contributed something worthwhile!)

Chris

Garrie
21st December 2007, 09:19 AM
Think its a great idea :D

Ian
21st December 2007, 09:01 PM
On DPNow and FTU, my other two sites, a fortnightly photo salon takes place. Basically the curator is chosen by the previous one according to how well he or she feels the 'winner' has interpreted the theme they set at the start of the fortnight. The winner becomes the curator and the cycle starts again.

The nice thing about that was the DPNow members borrowed the idea from another site and modified it to suit DPNow. I had almost nothing to do with it - which means as the members devised it, it was enthusiastically supported.

Looks like the same thing is happening here. :)

The salon idea is a good one, but something different would be welcome - so if you guys can come up with a consensus, that would be great.

If you need an arbiter if there are seveal proposals, just let me know!

Ian

theMusicMan
24th December 2007, 09:42 AM
Just to throw another consideration into the pot - the current rules as they stand over on FTU, don't actively encourage you to take new pics:

The Rules:

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme (in this case - 'LANDSCAPE SCENERY´ or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

This rule allows previous images taken to be submitted to the challenge - maybe we should consider any challenge on here as one that encourages you to take new photographs - and not submit ones you have already. OK, sometimes we all have an image that we very much like and would submit to challenges where the category matches our subject - but I feel this challenge should be about encouraging us to use our cameras more, and therefore to take new photographs.

Barr1e
24th December 2007, 09:50 AM
Just to throw another consideration into the pot - the current rules as they stand over on FTU, don't actively encourage you to take new pics:

This rule allows previous images taken to be submitted to the challenge - maybe we should consider any challenge on here as one that encourages you to take new photographs - and not submit ones you have already. OK, sometimes we all have an image that we very much like and would submit to challenges where the category matches our subject - but I feel this challenge should be about encouraging us to use our cameras more, and therefore to take new photographs.

I agree - this is a site that does just that.

http://www.fujimugs.com/

Happy Christmas.

Barr1e

PeterD
24th December 2007, 12:31 PM
I agree - this is a site that does just that.

http://www.fujimugs.com/

Happy Christmas.

Barr1e

I also agree. Lets create a level playing field for all members. Experienced photographers will have a large portfolio from which to choose which would unfairly give them an advantage over less experienced members.

Kind regards

PeterD

Chillimonster
24th December 2007, 12:48 PM
So where are we with this one then John??

Monthly
Anonymous
Themed
Shots must be taken specifically for the challenge / comp
Exif must be retained
Minimal Post Processing
Votes or single person chooses winner (I personally prefer the anonymous votes to one person, by PM, who organises / collates etc as per TPf, but am easy with whatever gets decided)

Like i said if we go with the vote system and you need a collator to do the votes counting / results thread, i'd be willing to do that (In fact i'd held in any other way needed)

Chris

PeterD
24th December 2007, 01:01 PM
So where are we with this one then John??

Monthly
Anonymous
Themed
Shots must be taken specifically for the challenge / comp
Exif must be retained
Minimal Post Processing
Votes or single person chooses winner (I personally prefer the anonymous votes to one person, by PM, who organises / collates etc as per TPf, but am easy with whatever gets decided)

Like i said if we go with the vote system and you need a collator to do the votes counting / results thread, i'd be willing to do that (In fact i'd held in any other way needed)

Chris

A Good summary Chris, thank you.

A couple of questions though:-

If images are anonymous, how is the source identity stripped from them and will this require a separate database to hold the images submitted?

How do you define 'minimum' post processing?

All members should have an opportunity to vote but is the pm route the best way of ensuring only one vote per member/competition.

Finally, who or how will the subject be chosen for each competition?

If we can answer the above, it would seem we have a good framework.

Kind regards

PeterD

Chillimonster
24th December 2007, 01:16 PM
A Good summary Chris, thank you.

A couple of questions though:-

If images are anonymous, how is the source identity stripped from them and will this require a separate database to hold the images submitted?

How do you define 'minimum' post processing?

All members should have an opportunity to vote but is the pm route the best way of ensuring only one vote per member/competition.

Finally, who or how will the subject be chosen for each competition?

If we can answer the above, it would seem we have a good framework.

Kind regards

PeterD

Images are submitted by PM. The names are removed, as is any exif information. The images are then numbered and posted into a gallery for viewing,

Forum members then vote, again by PM stating their favourite pictures (3 of, in order). An alternative way of voting is in an opent thread, displaying the images, with a vote (poll) on the thread. The disadvantage to this is that the result are displayed once voted allowing people to see who is in the lead, which can sway the voting.

The scores are then collated at the end of the voting period (7 days?) and the results posted along with the top 3 entries.

From this a spreadsheet can be generated showing scores and positions etc.

As for minimal PP'ing, i would say crops, sharpen, levels etc is acceptable, but nothing more. Afterall it is a PHOTOGRAPHY competition and not a Post-Processing competition (Good job really as i be in last on that one!!)

Themes can either be chosen for the next 12 months in advance (by poll etc), or the winner of one challange can choos the next (although that introduces a delay as the winner is not known until upto 5-6weeks after the start of the current challenge)

Hope i covered all the points :)

Chris

theMusicMan
24th December 2007, 01:28 PM
Some thoughts from me...

Q. If images are anonymous, how is the source identity stripped from them and will this require a separate database to hold the images submitted?

A. Someone will need to act in this capacity and receive entries via PM, then host them perhaps in a gallery here on the site specifically setup for this purpose.

Q. How do you define 'minimum' post processing?

A. Very subjective... I guess the usual common sense approach should apply - if this is in fact, a rule.

Q. All members should have an opportunity to vote but is the pm route the best way of ensuring only one vote per member/competition.

A. If all entries are put into a gallery here by someone - and we run a poll on the listed entries - then people will be allowed to vote only once.

Q. Finally, who or how will the subject be chosen for each competition?

A. I guess a good way forward here is to suggest the winner of the previous challenge picks the subject for the next challenge?

emirpprime
24th December 2007, 03:16 PM
Some thoughts from me...

A. Someone will need to act in this capacity and receive entries via PM, then host them perhaps in a gallery here on the site specifically setup for this purpose.

A. Very subjective... I guess the usual common sense approach should apply - if this is in fact, a rule.

A. If all entries are put into a gallery here by someone - and we run a poll on the listed entries - then people will be allowed to vote only once.

A. I guess a good way forward here is to suggest the winner of the previous challenge picks the subject for the next challenge?

Just my 2 pence...
1 - I think anonymous has to be thought about carefully, as it is more work. Many people are lazy, myself included, and so even "a little effort" can be a barrier when you are tired after work, for example. I think generally things that are simple work best.

2 - I do not think "no/minimal retouching" should be a rule. I do think whether it is allowed in that round should be stimulated each time. Sometimes indulging in extreme retouching, or simple allowing artists discretion would, I think, benefit the competition and keep it varied.

3 - I think the curator should set the rules each time, within an agreed framework. I think the chosen/voted winner should then determine the details of the next round.

4 - I think that created/taken for that round is good. Perhaps taken within 2 weeks or something? I think you have to include at least 1 weekend for those with busy week days.

5 - Perhaps to keep things moving, it should be that the result be disclosed within x (2?) days of the close date unless otherwise stated due to personal reasons. The next one should then begin within 3 or so?

Lets hammer this out and get on with it :D
Phil

theMusicMan
24th December 2007, 03:21 PM
You bet Phil - couldn't agree with you more. We're certainly coming up with some great ideas and I'm looking forward to the first one now that I am off from work for a few days and a nice package was delivered this morning.

Looks very much like something from Park Cameras to me... :) Dear wife... bless her :):)

Chillimonster
24th December 2007, 03:26 PM
Looks very much like something from Park Cameras to me... :) Dear wife... bless her :):)

What've you put on your list to santa??

7-14mm?
FL-50R?
12-60mm?

:)

Chillimonster
24th December 2007, 03:31 PM
Just my 2 pence...
1 - I think anonymous has to be thought about carefully, as it is more work. Many people are lazy, myself included, and so even "a little effort" can be a barrier when you are tired after work, for example. I think generally things that are simple work best.

3 - I think the curator should set the rules each time, within an agreed framework. I think the chosen/voted winner should then determine the details of the next round.

5 - Perhaps to keep things moving, it should be that the result be disclosed within x (2?) days of the close date unless otherwise stated due to personal reasons. The next one should then begin within 3 or so?

Lets hammer this out and get on with it :D
Phil

Agree on the whole, but the PM route is easier for submitting entries, (in my opinion of course :) ) as its simpler, and quicker than posting in a thread, which even with best intentions gets cluttered with other stuff other than photos.

On the choosing of the next theme, and results , one of the 'other' forums i used to frequent does this and if someone is away, or busy, it can take a week for the results and a week for the new theme, meaning that you can easily go 'off-the-boil', so would go for the prechosen themes on this one. It also alows for thinking ahead and earmarking places to return to for a particular round.

I'm all for getting cracking on this, and looking forward to the challenges ahead :)

Chris

theMusicMan
24th December 2007, 03:46 PM
What've you put on your list to santa??

7-14mm?
FL-50R?
12-60mm?

:)Naaah... they'll come in the New Year some time. The E-3 was my early bird Christmas pressie :)

I asked for a Manfrotto Monopod with a quick release ball/socket head... the package looks like this is what it might be - well, I was here when the Citylink van arrived, Jen was out and about getting last minute stuff :):)

Chillimonster
26th December 2007, 02:50 PM
So,

Are we, as a group, going to make this happen.

I think we should, and think we should start with a January challenge :)

Until the finer points are ironed out (Picture submissions, themes, voting, admin team etc) i think the picture should be taken, but held by the member. Once the submissions method is sorted (Still voting for PM to a nominated person!!) they can be PM'd / Posted / etc.

Any suggestions for the first theme??

A few from me....

New Years Resolutions
Light & Dark
Hot & Cold
Food
Evolution
A Moment In Time

come on guys (and gals), lets not let this slip away, we are SOOOOOOO close to cracking it. ;)

Chris

ravenblack
26th December 2007, 09:53 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a little confused about this EXIF stuff! I tend to photoshop some images, so I have no idea (as I am not 'nerdy'!) how to retain the original specs of an image. If that is possible post PS?
I also agree the comp would be a good idea, at least to entice those like me with a little more interest to get off my a**e more often on my days off!

Ijay37
26th December 2007, 10:08 PM
Snap I find at 70 years old some of the tech. stuff goes way over my head*xmashat04
Regards John

emirpprime
27th December 2007, 08:53 AM
Basically your camera adds some information to each picture it takes, like camera make, model, lens used, f-stop etc. When you process a photo, this information can either be left in for people to see, or stripped off. In photoshop, all you ahev to do to make sure it isn't removed is ensure you do not use Save for Web. Instead use the Image Size command to resize it, then Save As and select JPEG. Slightly more work but not too much hassle.

All the best,
Phil

theMusicMan
30th December 2007, 12:56 AM
OK, time presses on and I think there's a general consensus on here that some form of challenge would be welcomed by everyone - the replies here certainly suggest this is so.

So... I hope I don't offend Ian or anyone else on here if I take the plunge, stick my neck out and kick this off with the very first EGC: i.e. e-group Challenge.

Please remember this will only be only a test run and Ian can amend the rules and guidelines if need be - in fact I suggest we do actually review the format after the first challenge.

I just wanted to at least make an attempt to get something up and running on here whilst we are, in the main, off from work and perhaps more readily available to click away with our new toys (well... some of us!! :) )

So, here's the link to the very first EGC... I hope you don't mind my doing this, please enjoy.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3391#post3391

Barr1e
30th December 2007, 09:41 AM
On with the thinking cap.*smileysanta

Happy New Year. Barr1e

veggiesosage
30th December 2007, 10:09 AM
MM, did you know you can post a poll up on the thread? If you scroll down the options when you start a new thread you'll see the option there. Would prob be easier than us pming you with votes.

theMusicMan
30th December 2007, 10:28 AM
Hi veggie - thing is, doing it that way there's no way to anonymise the voting unless Ian has a certain plug-in installed on his vBulletin application. If there was a way to hide the voting then yes... or if everyone thinks that it isn't a problem then of course next time we can do it this way. Happy to revise next time - apart from the 'getting you to take new photos' objective of the challenge, that's what this one is for... :)

Ta for the suggestion.

EDIT: Actually - if this is something everyone thinks is OK for this time, then we can do it when the voting starts... fine by me! :)

art frames
31st December 2007, 11:22 AM
John

Well done for starting something. This will be my first ever photo comp and my mind is a blank. I guess thats how it goes! :eek:

good luck all

Peter

theMusicMan
31st December 2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks for replying Peter - I was beginning to think I'd done something nobody wanted...:)

That's two entries coming so far now then, you and I eh... :) hehehe

art frames
31st December 2007, 12:46 PM
John

Good luck to you then, it should be a walkover! I'm still working in Christmas mode. *rudolf ..plus I'm not competitive....:D

I've just seen your workstation on another post. Perfect! I can now imagine you sitting in your Rick Wakeman cloak (sorry showing my age here) with one hand on the keyboards and the other on the camera pointed out of the window. Does the dry ice interfere with the focussing? ;)

You help bring this place alive with your posts!

Happy New Year

Peter

Barr1e
3rd January 2008, 07:56 PM
Mmmm -

Still thinking.

Edit: Link - http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3391#post3391

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e
3rd January 2008, 10:19 PM
Mmmm -

Still thinking.

Edit: Link - http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3391#post3391

Regards. Barr1e

Pleased to say I had an idea and pic now entered.

Regards. Barr1e

ndl0071
4th January 2008, 08:55 AM
Hi Barr1e, well done on your submission, I have to say that I am still more than a little stumped, I have an idea but cannot seem to 'bring it together':o

All the best for the comp:)

theMusicMan
4th January 2008, 11:12 AM
So come on then folks... where's your entries ?? get your thinking caps on for the weekend:)

PeterD
4th January 2008, 03:07 PM
So come on then folks... where's your entries ?? get your thinking caps on for the weekend:)

I now feel I can start to think of the competition. Now looking for inspiration..................

LOL

Cheers

PeterD

theMusicMan
4th January 2008, 03:13 PM
Nice one Peter - glad to read in another thread that you have sorted the focus on your the E-3 :)

I am going to have a go at this as well... I think that it is OK and within the rules yeah...? I promise not to cheat when I compile the votes... heheheheh

PeterD
4th January 2008, 03:20 PM
Nice one Peter - glad to read in another thread that you have sorted the focus on your the E-3 :)

I am going to have a go at this as well... I think that it is OK and within the rules yeah...? I promise not to cheat when I compile the votes... heheheheh

I'm watching John. I shall keep a look out for a new member from your locale;)

Still thinking...........

PeterD