PDA

View Full Version : Review of the Meike MK 300 for Olympus

Pistnbroke
14th January 2015, 08:32 AM
I have long used the MK 300 Nikon verson for my business and have taken many tens of thousands of photos with the two I have . Never had a problem.

I purchased the Oly/Pan/Le version for my M10 at a price of £29.99 though prices up to £40 can be seen on ebay ( do not buy from HK or you may get stung with about 25% import duty.VAT)

The gun has three modes. LCD display. 2x AA batteries.

Manual ..well we dont want to use that do we.
iTTL ..This works great and unlike the built in flash will keep up with the shutter for at least 10 flashes in continuous mode. The output can be adjusted to the camera with the wheel on the top and I have found -0.7 stop to match the camera ( same on Nikon)
Repeat.
The gun will produce a burst of flashes at the frequency you require for say arty shots of a spinning dancer.

Will also support hi speed sync - 1/4000 but have just discovered that if your shutter speed goes above the sync range the flash does not fire so thats good if you left it on outside by mistake.....but bad if you wanted fill flash at 1/2000

I hate hammerhead guns because of the large shadows produced behind subjects,the head is too far from the centre of the lens, but the Mk 300 being squat minimises this. As with all on camera flash only use landscape and crop later to avoid the side shadow.

I have loaded images to my gallery or look here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meike-MK-300-TTL-LCD-Flash-Speedlite-for-Olympus-Panasonic-Leica-Camera-GX7-E-P5-/261268588366?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_ CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item3cd4d2474e

Ralph Harwood
14th January 2015, 09:24 AM
Hi there Pistnbroke!

I have been looking at these on ebay for a little while. My concern was that using the flash on my E-M1 with the 12-50 would I get a shadow from the lens at wider angles because of the length of the lens and the lower height of the flash? I am ok using my Metz 44AF as that is quite tall but does have the issues of the shadows, I haven't tried my clip on flash at 12mm on the E-M1 yet but on my E-PL3 it is hopeless.

Thanks for posting your review, it has given me more food for thought.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Pistnbroke
14th January 2015, 09:32 AM
Well you have to try it .but my solution is to buy a cheap lens hood on e bay and cut off the top petal. (D800 with 17mm lens)
You can rotate it to get a petal at the top or not as you require but I dont have a lens hood on my EZ I cannot test it.
Here is an example..other sizes available..its screw on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52mm-Petal-Flower-lens-hood-for-Nikon-D5200-D5100-D3200-kit-18-55mm-F3-5-5-6G-VR-/131058555437?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_c aps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item1e83b2da2d

SteveJ
14th January 2015, 12:20 PM
What are the manual speed settings you can use with this?

Steve

Pistnbroke
14th January 2015, 12:44 PM
It seems to me to respond in the same way as the built in flash dropping to 1/200 1/250 as you set in the flash menu so I guess no high speed sync on the M10 ???
Perhaps this is why on this site we do not see any reference to professional use ..weddings etc No doubt the M1 is more pro friendly and they do have an "Olympus ambassador" who does shoot events with her nice free kit ....!!!

SteveJ
14th January 2015, 01:01 PM
Sorry i meant to ask "What are the manual power settings you can set with this flash?"

Steve

Pistnbroke
14th January 2015, 01:09 PM
1/128 1/64 1/32 1/16 1/8 1/4 1/2 1

Jim Ford
14th January 2015, 03:59 PM
I purchased the Oly/Pan/Le version for my M10 at a price of 29.99 though prices up to 40 can be seen on ebay ( do not buy from HK or you may get stung with about 25% import duty.VAT)

ISTRC that they don't charge for anything under 50.

Jim

Pistnbroke
14th January 2015, 04:57 PM
I never seen that on there documentation ..It may not be economic to charge on below £50 hence the word in my post "may"

Ralph Harwood
14th January 2015, 05:45 PM
Well you have to try it .but my solution is to buy a cheap lens hood on e bay and cut off the top petal. (D800 with 17mm lens)
You can rotate it to get a petal at the top or not as you require but I dont have a lens hood on my EZ I cannot test it.
Here is an example..other sizes available..its screw on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52mm-Petal-Flower-lens-hood-for-Nikon-D5200-D5100-D3200-kit-18-55mm-F3-5-5-6G-VR-/131058555437?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_c aps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item1e83b2da2d

Hi there Pistnbroke!

Unfortunately it is the lens not the hood that interferes on the E-PL3, I was hoping that the flash would clear on the E-M1 but haven't tried it yet, but hopefully the MK 300 will clear ad the flash tube is further forwards as well as a little higher than the standard flash.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Ralph Harwood
16th January 2015, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone!

Well, I've given in and bought one - from these people who claim to be in the uk:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181537954190

I'll let everyone know how well it clears the 12-50mm at the wide end when I get it.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Pistnbroke
16th January 2015, 02:57 PM
Well it says out of stock ..hope you got the last one ..if it says in UK then pay pal will support you if you get any import duty problems ..usually only takes 3-4 days to come from HK often they re pack and send on using UK Post office

Pistnbroke
18th January 2015, 11:09 AM
WARNING

Just watched a video about the MK300 showing that the ittl function only works on 4/3 using the pre flash system ..Now I only have the M10 and its fine on that .
If of course you by on e bay where it says oly/pan/li and it dont work you can send it back.....

Ralph Harwood
18th January 2015, 11:39 AM
Hi there Pistnbroke!

As far as I know all 4/3 and m4/3 cameras send out a very brief preflash to meter the photo before the main flash for the exposure. If it works OK on your E-M10 then it should work OK on all Olympus and Panasonic cameras. I think that you may well be able to use the flash to be an AF illuminator where it will give a series of flashes as the camera finds focus - sometimes the flash strobes for several seconds in this case.

The only problem with ittl is that the preflash can sometimes trigger external optical triggers for slave flashes - although you can buy more intelligent triggers which ignore the first flash.

Cheers,

Ralph.

PS They were showing 3 or 4 in stock when I ordered mine - hopefully it will be here sometime this week as I think that the company have a warehouse in Portsmouth where they do the reposting.

Pistnbroke
18th January 2015, 11:48 AM
Its on the second page of this thread..

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=72466&page=2

let me know what you think

Ralph Harwood
21st January 2015, 11:21 PM
Hi there Pistnbroke!

That was quite an interesting video - as far as I was aware all the m4/3 cameras followed the same standard for flash which is the pre-flash method. One thing that I have noticed with my MK300 (which arrived this afternoon so I've only had a brief play) is that the range function doesn't change with ISO, only with the f-stop. If the gentleman in the video hadn't selected ISO 100 he may well find that with the single flash system it is overexposing for the ISO selected because it doesn't communicate this correctly to the flash when deciding the exposure. It wouldn't matter with the preflash system because it is based on proportionality between the preflash and the main flash, rather than calculation.

On a happy note, the flash works very well with my E-M1 and 12-50mm - the flash clears the lens without leaving a shadow. It even clears the lens hood ok. I'll try it on my E-PL3 in the morning.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Petrochemist
11th November 2016, 12:14 PM
Its on the second page of this thread..

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=72466&page=2

let me know what you think

All that thread is one page for me :)

The flash seems to work OK with my G5, but doesn't seem as powerful as it should be.

Loup Garou
13th November 2016, 12:12 PM
I am ok using my Metz 44AF as that is quite tall but does have the issues of the shadows
Ralph.. The Nissin i40 is very well designed to eliminate shadows. It is shorter than the Metz 44AF but the flash head projects forward significantly more. Also, it comes with a standard softbox that further helps to reduce shadows.

Of course, another way to overcome lens shadows is to use the flash off-camera.

adair
24th December 2016, 06:34 AM
Post deleted (spam) and account closed.

Loup Garou
24th December 2016, 08:04 AM
In the "Flash Features" section of that link, the reviewer uses the terms "Automatic" and "TTL" synonymously. This is not strictly correct. In the TTL mode the flash links with the camera's light meter and the output matches what the lens is seeing. Some higher spec flashes have a true "Auto" mode in which the flashgun also has its own built-in light meter and the output matches what that meter reads ie independent of the camera's meter. I have found that there are certain low-light situations where this mode is significantly better.

Considering the most commonly used external flashes with OMD cameras, neither the Metz 44AF nor Nissin i40 have a true Auto mode, just TTL (the Nissin's 'Auto' mode is just a fixed TTL mode). The Olympus FL600-R has an Auto mode but it is not very good. The more powerful Metz flashguns (I think 58AF and up in the current models) have their own light meters and they are very good.

I have an old Metz 54 MZ-4i which I use with a special Metz adapter that makes it fully compatible with current OMD and Pen Cameras. It gives full TTL control but also has an excellent Auto mode that is very good in low light situations.

Ian
29th December 2016, 11:08 PM
In the "Flash Features" section of that link, the reviewer uses the terms "Automatic" and "TTL" synonymously. This is not strictly correct. In the TTL mode the flash links with the camera's light meter and the output matches what the lens is seeing. Some higher spec flashes have a true "Auto" mode in which the flashgun also has its own built-in light meter and the output matches what that meter reads ie independent of the camera's meter. I have found that there are certain low-light situations where this mode is significantly better.

Considering the most commonly used external flashes with OMD cameras, neither the Metz 44AF nor Nissin i40 have a true Auto mode, just TTL (the Nissin's 'Auto' mode is just a fixed TTL mode). The Olympus FL600-R has an Auto mode but it is not very good. The more powerful Metz flashguns (I think 58AF and up in the current models) have their own light meters and they are very good.

I have an old Metz 54 MZ-4i which I use with a special Metz adapter that makes it fully compatible with current OMD and Pen Cameras. It gives full TTL control but also has an excellent Auto mode that is very good in low light situations.

My apologies - that was a spammer and has been dealt with.

Ian