PDA

View Full Version : Slow focusing

Nichthewood
6th January 2015, 04:56 PM
Happy New Year.
There's a couple of things that's making me a little despondent with my E620.
I was lucky enough to get a FL36 flash for Christmas.
First thing I did was to reset it to factory setting.
I am only using the camera and flash on auto at the moment but I'm finding the indoor photos are not as light as I think they should be. I also thought there was a motor in the flash to auto move the head ? So far there's no sign of any movement. Maybe that function is not available in auto mode.
Also indoors the AF is very slow. Sometimes while focusing the lens goes in and out of focus before finishing off out of focus. I was disappointed with some of my Christmas indoor photos, I miss a lot waiting for the AF to focus.
I was use to a Fuji S7000 P&S before and if I'm honest, indoors it was miles faster at focusing and the results were better than the Olympus.
Outdoors all seems great and the 70-300mm lens is really the business. The main reason for changing from Fuji was I've always wanted to have a camera with interchangable lenses. I love my wildlife photos and also portraits. I know it's still very early days but my underlying thought is the camera, flash and lenses (which are all second hand) are not working properly.
Any advise?

Adagio
6th January 2015, 05:39 PM
Can't help with the flash I fear but I am sure others will.

You don't say what lens you are using on your E-620. I have just dug out my trusty E-520 and with Aperture priority, ISO200 and a dim light in the room giving an exposure of 4s @ f\5.6 the focusing is almost instant, when exposure reaches 6s focus struggles. Hope this helps.

simonblue
6th January 2015, 05:39 PM
We're you using the 70-300mm indoors ?,if so I would say it would be slow to focus,and I am not sure the flash would cover the range above say 70mm which might account for your dark photos.

:)

Nichthewood
6th January 2015, 05:51 PM
Very very helpful thanks. Yes to using 70-300mm lens with darker photos. Slow AF on the 70-300mm but also on the 40-150mm lenes.

Adagio
6th January 2015, 06:04 PM
Have just tried 70-300mm in pretty dim light up to around 110mm focuses pretty smartly above that it struggles often not succeeding. The lens does of course have an AF/MF switch.

Nichthewood
6th January 2015, 06:24 PM
Thanks David
Switch set to AF. I think I might be asking the flash to work at to great a distance? This all a steep learning curve to me.

simonblue
6th January 2015, 10:32 PM
Very very helpful thanks. Yes to using 70-300mm lens with darker photos. Slow AF on the 70-300mm but also on the 40-150mm lenes.

The 70-300mm is a bit long to use indoors,unless you got a very large house,even the 40-150mm at its long end you may find it to large for indoor use.
The closest focusing distance and small aperture would make them both struggle indoors.

As for flash they are best used on say an shorter zoom range around the 12-50 range,or an fixed focus lens around the same range :)

Nichthewood
7th January 2015, 06:16 PM
Thank you to all. Your answers have made real sense. I realise I have been expecting to much and have been using the lenes in the wrong situations. Cheers

Ulfric M Douglas
7th January 2015, 08:19 PM
Just bumping to say that lens would be literally my last choice for indoor, flash or no flash.
Surely you have one of the 14-42 kit zooms : mine are really great at indoor focus with flash, with or without the red light.

Nichthewood
7th January 2015, 08:59 PM
Red light?
Yes I have a 14-42mm, I just didn't fully understand when to use it. I do now. ��

simonblue
7th January 2015, 09:10 PM
Thank you to all. Your answers have made real sense. I realise I have been expecting to much and have been using the lenes in the wrong situations. Cheers

No problem :)

Adagio
8th January 2015, 04:46 PM
Red light?
��

I don't think you have a red light. The built in flash can act as an AF illuminator Pages 55 & 95 of the manual. On half pressing shutter button it emits a few high speed flashes.

I have had an E-520 for about 6 years, much to my chagrin the E-620 appeared quite soon after I bought it. Have recently upgraded to E-M1.

Persist with your 620 there is much to learn but hopefully you will find it rewarding. Don't be afraid to ask on this forum. There is no such thing as a stupid question - only stupid answers ;)

Nichthewood
8th January 2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks David for your advice and support, I think there may be some stupid questions to come. I have a very poor memory, I'm making notes and forgetting how to imperment them already. I have to say the lenes have now stuck in my memory. Will put the test photos from last night on the iPad tonight and I think they will be much more encouraging. Cheers

scott76
8th January 2015, 06:49 PM
Just to butt in,bounce your flash off something like a white ceiling or wall,if not off a snoot that can Velcro on the flash.direct flash is mostly unflattering,glad you are now choosing the proper lens,maybe even try moving to aperture priority where you can choose to let more light in and even increase the ISO.good luck,have fun and look forward to the results.

hodder_fisher
8th January 2015, 07:21 PM
Have you checked the firmware on the 70-300 lens ? although not ideal lens indoors as pointed out the autofocus performance I think did improve when the original firmware was updated (details listed on Olympus site - http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/)

Nichthewood
8th January 2015, 08:49 PM
Thanks for that. I can't remember. I know I did an update on the "kit" lenes, but can't remember if I had the 70-300 mm then. Will check it out tomorrow.
Cheers

Nichthewood
9th January 2015, 01:23 PM
Just checked and I had updated the lens software.

hodder_fisher
9th January 2015, 02:00 PM
OK, I also have a E620 and found the focussing poor compared with my E500 but found I had something set wrong. Will have a look this weekend what my settings are as it does focus reasonably quickly (but not great in low light when not enough contrast). Dave

Nichthewood
9th January 2015, 05:36 PM
Thanks Dave.