PDA

View Full Version : 60mm Macro Hire Query

WJSMFT
1st January 2015, 05:34 PM
Hello,

I have a Panasonic Lumix GF2 ( :eek: ) and am thinking of purchasing the Olympus 60mm Macro lens (reviews consistently rate it above Panny's own) to try out some Macro stills.

So before I commit, I'd like to hire it from this group to try it out.

Does anyone have any views on the use of a flash ring with the Macro lens - are they absolutely required?

Is it possible to hire the Olympus flash ring from this group too? Are there other types that people recommend?

Finally, how does one go about actually hiring from this group, is there an email/phone number to use?

Thanks for any and all help offered, hope we all have a happy start to 2015!

peak4
1st January 2015, 05:52 PM
The Hire Link (http://e-group.uk.net/hire/hire_info.php) is at the top of the page.
From there, you should be able to scroll down and download the price list.

Welcome to one of the friendliest and most helpful photography forums on the net, and a Happy New Year. *chr

WJSMFT
1st January 2015, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the advice Bill!

Pierre L
4th January 2015, 11:24 AM
When using the Olympus Macro Ring Flash or Macro Twin Flash, the FR-2 Flash Adapter screws on to the front of the 60mm macro lens (using the filter thread). This gives a steady location for the flash.

Similarly, the FR-1 goes with the 50mm macro lens (the four-thirds one).

I do not have sufficient experience at using my macro lens to tell you whether there are other ways to amke the flash steady. I presume that there are also third-party macro flashes which would behave differently.

I got my macro flash set from someone on this Forum a year or more ago (sorry but I don't remember who it was). I bought the FR-2 adapter via Amazon from Carmarthen Cameras and it cost £70. The group's hire shop says there is one on order (but that was 18 months ago so it may have arrived). I do not immediately see a ring flash or twin flash available for hire though.

None of this is very practical so apaologies.

Pierre

Chevvyf1
4th January 2015, 11:36 AM
The 60 m 4/3 Zuiko macro lens is one of my two favourites :) I rarely use flash with it as most of my macro images are flowers or small creatures in spring/summer good light :) or objects in my "Pop up Studio" with lighting on the table :)

However, I can appreciate that a flash ring would be needed rather than "on camera" flash, as being so close to "objects" to capture images of, yourself may create poor light/shadows, to provide a great even lighting :)

Welcome here :)

brian1208
8th January 2015, 02:54 PM
I've only just spotted this thread, I use a metz macro 15ms-1 with mine. It clips onto a threaded step-up ring on the front of the lens and can be triggered either using the on-board flash, or with the EM-1, using a short pc sync cable from body to flash, which gives me higher flash sync speeds