I have just finished my EC-20 article.

I have tested the EC-20 with:
Olympus 14-42mm
Olympus 40-150mm
Sigma 55-200mm
Olympus 70-300mm

The article is on my website

http://www.ilikeit.co.uk/olympus/article/Olympus%20Multi.pdf

and I have also upload all of the images used.

http://www.ilikeit.co.uk/olympus/article/index.html
Only download the images if needed, as they are quite large.

Comments are welcome.

theMusicMan
18th December 2007, 08:51 AM
Well done John for taking the time (and pleasure I guess) in coming up with a nice set of tests, consistently executed, that yield interesting results.

Kudos to you sir, thanks.

j.baker
18th December 2007, 09:00 AM
If you call sitting outside for 1 hour whilst the temperature was between -1 and +1 C, year it was fun :D

Thanks for the comments.

Photography is, currently, something that I enjoy and is not related to my normal job.

One think I did not put in the article, was that if I had known the kind of results that I observed prior to purchasing the EC-20, I would not have purchased it. I will probably not use the EC-20 much, except maybe for trying to take some pictures of the moon. But I did get it at a very good price :)

Haisbro
18th December 2007, 09:52 AM
Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to do the test. As i have a EC-20 on order i wondered what the result would be if the combination of extender and 50-200 was handheld with IS activated on your E510.

H

j.baker
18th December 2007, 10:01 AM
Simple answer. Donít.

The IS on the E-510 when used with the EC-20 and even the 40-150 cannot cope. OK, I am not the most steady or non shaky when using my camera, but even so all of the images that I have taken so rat, and even some with a tripod, show camera blue. Some of it is caused by added two f stops to the lens that you are using, which can make for a slow lens.

I do not have the 50-200mm lens which is far faster than my lenses, so this may make a difference.

theMusicMan
18th December 2007, 10:07 AM
Not sure what you mean by 'cannot cope' John? Surely the IS will work as efficiently regardless of what lens you have on the camera as the IS is in the body not the lens.

Ian...?

j.baker
18th December 2007, 10:11 AM
there is too much movement for the IS to correct

theMusicMan
18th December 2007, 10:20 AM
Honestly John, I find that hard to believe, really I do. I only have the EC-14, but do have the 70-300mm lens, so maybe I will try to find the time over the coming days/weekend (eeeeek... just remembered it's Christmas weekend!!) to run a few simple tests with IS on and IS off myself.

Not that I doubt you sir, but that I find it hard to believe that IS doesn't work past a certain focal length.

beardedwombat
18th December 2007, 11:27 AM
John this is probably a silly question but are you using the latest firmware V1.2 in your E-510? This was released specifically for the E-510 to support the EC-20.
Chris

Nick Temple-Fry
18th December 2007, 11:38 AM
Might be constructive to look a the exif data - so for the 40-150 at 150 + ec20

ImageDescription - OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Make - OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Model - E-510
ExposureTime - 1/13 seconds
FNumber - 11.20
ExposureProgram - Creative program
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 8.00
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
FocalLength - 300 mm

the 70-300 at 70 + ec20

Model - E-510
ExposureTime - 1/25 seconds
FNumber - 8.00
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Not fired, auto mode
FocalLength - 140 mm

and the 70-300 at 300 + ec20
Model - E-510
ExposureTime - 1/15 seconds
FNumber - 11.20
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Not fired, auto mode
FocalLength - 600 mm

I suspect the ec20 will repay care in choosing the ISO value and in managing the f-number.

A provoking test, thank-you

Nick

j.baker
18th December 2007, 01:21 PM
beardedwombat, I am using V1.2

I believe, according to another camera forum, that there is a known issue with EC-20 and 90-200?? lens. I believe that there is a new firmware due soon.

theMusicMan, any camera movement when using any lens will affect the image. IS shifts the CCD in order to compensate for the movement. If long focal lengths are used, the front of the lens may move quite a bit. The IS can only compensate to a limited amount of movement.

Of course I could be wrong :-) I would be interested to see what other people find.

I do regret buying the EC-20, but you have to live with your mistakes.

The 70-300mm lens , in my opinion was a good buy.

What did surprise me was how well the 55-200mm Sigma lens did when used with the EC-20.

mlc
18th December 2007, 08:02 PM
I have posted an image of Jay taken with 50-200mm, and EC-20 (with E-3).

In the Nature gallery.

This was at 400iso. Admittedly with some pp, but this would be normal for me. I'm well satisfied.

Mark

Haisbro
18th December 2007, 08:57 PM
I have posted an image of Jay taken with 50-200mm, and EC-20 (with E-3).

In the Nature gallery.

This was at 400iso. Admittedly with some pp, but this would be normal for me. I'm well satisfied.

Mark

Thanks for that Mark and nice shot. Had a phone call today that my EC-20 is in store. I'll pick it up in the morning, i'm impressed with the EC-14 combo lets hope this will be the same, if there are any issues i guess they can be fixed by firmware. I'm pleased with the E3 though its controls are taking a bit of getting used to

H