PDA

View Full Version : EC-20 + 12-60mm

klian787
8th November 2008, 12:58 AM
In the manuals for the EC-20 + 12-60mm it says this combination can only be used in manual focus?

Iíve had no problem auto focusing with this combination on the E-3 and compared images taken in both manual and auto without any difference in quality or performance, focus is smack on even in low light without focus assist. Does anyone know why they recommend manual? Or have they fixed it and not told anybody :)

Settings on single centre point focus!

Nick Temple-Fry
8th November 2008, 01:05 AM
I think Olympus are refreshingly conservative on the recommendations. The E-3 has a very good focus system (not that there was much wrong with earlier cameras) so most of these recommendations tend towards the pessimistic.

Mind you I'm not a 100% sure why you want to partner the ec20 with the 12-60.

Nick

klian787
8th November 2008, 01:52 AM
Hmmm see your point, I just canít find any explanation as to why they recommend manual focus?

I use this combination when I go walkabout itís easier slipping this in my pocket rather than lugging a 50-200mm around.

Nick Temple-Fry
8th November 2008, 02:45 AM
Hmmm see your point, I just canít find any explanation as to why they recommend manual focus?

I use this combination when I go walkabout itís easier slipping this in my pocket rather than lugging a 50-200mm around.

Well the ec20 stops down the lens - reduces the light - therefore makes the auto focus less effective, too little light then no-focus.

I guess you knew that, but there are people who would make a borderline case (a rainy day in the shadows) a claim for a complaint.

24-120 would make a pretty versatile lens.

Nick

theMusicMan
8th November 2008, 08:23 AM
I am with Nick on this one too Klian, and my first thought was wondering why you would add the EC-20 to the excellent 12-60mm. However, perhaps as Nick again suggests, a 24-120mm f4 lens is what you find spot on for your general purpose photography.

Do you have any example shots you have taken with this combination?

klian787
8th November 2008, 09:56 AM
I am with Nick on this one too Klian, and my first thought was wondering why you would add the EC-20 to the excellent 12-60mm. However, perhaps as Nick again suggests, a 24-120mm f4 lens is what you find spot on for your general purpose photography.

Do you have any example shots you have taken with this combination?

Hi John, Iíve only just acquired the EC-20, I havenít any photos, I just tested the lens when I received it and was curious as to why you can only manual focus, how it came about I was doing a comparison between a Nikon 18-200mm VR and the 12-60mm + EC-20 at roughly the same focal lengths.

Photos were taken in low light, when I did a crop comparison in photoshop there was no difference in image quality at auto or manual, even with the EC-20 the images were still sharper than the Nikon, so thought it would make it ideal for walkabout and alternative to lugging the 50-200mm around?

Ian

photo_owl
8th November 2008, 11:43 AM
I believe that once upon a time Oly's paranoia about potentially detiorating AF performance set a baseline of f6.3 as 'acceptable', this seems to have moved to f7.1 as a combination of better underlying AF capability and the EC20 appeared.

The 12-60 would exceed this level at the long end so gets the blanket 'not recomended'

In practice it will work fine, especially on later bodies.

You can't get away from the fact that AF needs certain light levels and that the EC20 reduces that level - therefore it will have an impact on performance and at some light level it's use will cause it to fail.

Any arbritary limit like this will cause people to (rightly) question it.

As an example the new 40-150 will work OK on the E3 with the EC20 - providing there is decent light (but framing needs that light too!)

Ian
8th November 2008, 12:09 PM
I have used the 14-150 Mk II at 150mm with an EC-14 that means an effective viewing aperture of f/8. In normal conditions, it works fine. In darker, less contrasty conditions it can struggle, though the E-3 has a bit more headroom than other cameras in the E-System family.

Ian