PDA

View Full Version : Lens for E-PL3

KeithL
19th December 2014, 11:48 AM
Folks
My better half has bought me an E-PL3 body for Xmas to supplement my M5.

My initial thoughts were to use mainly the 45/1.8 on it, since I do a bit of (not fantastic, it has to be admitted:( ) street photography. I love doing candid portraits, and usually use the 75-300 for that; far enough away not to be easily noticed. But the 75-300 is big to put on the E-PL3, and it makes a fairly innocuous, unobtrusive camera into something both a bit unwieldy and a bit more 'threatening' in the street.

So, I bought a 14-40 kit lens. But that isn't small when it's extended; and the pancake version is a bit pricey for what it is.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas/thoughts/suggestions, please? The 17 is too wide, IMHO,for my purpose. The ideal would be say 25-75....but that isn't an option. 40-150? Or is there a better compromise around, perhaps?

BTW, I used to do street with my Canon 50D, and 18-200. Ideal lens range. But as soon as you get a DSLR out in the street, hackles seem to rise, feathers get ruffled...and people immediately see you as a threat, 'must be a paedo' or something like that. God alone knows why!!!

IainMacD
19th December 2014, 08:45 PM
Have you considered that Panasonic 20mm or the Sigma lenses?

KeithL
19th December 2014, 08:57 PM
Have you considered that Panasonic 20mm or the Sigma lenses?

Hi Iain
I'd wondered about Panasonic, but I was only aware of the 25; and I saw warnings on the net that it didn't work correctly on an Oly.

But Sigma..m'mm. I didn't realise they do m4/3 lenses...
Thanks
Keith

PeterBirder
19th December 2014, 09:30 PM
Folks
My better half has bought me an E-PL3 body for Xmas to supplement my M5.

My initial thoughts were to use mainly the 45/1.8 on it, since I do a bit of (not fantastic, it has to be admitted:( ) street photography. I love doing candid portraits, and usually use the 75-300 for that; far enough away not to be easily noticed. But the 75-300 is big to put on the E-PL3, and it makes a fairly innocuous, unobtrusive camera into something both a bit unwieldy and a bit more 'threatening' in the street.

So, I bought a 14-40 kit lens. But that isn't small when it's extended; and the pancake version is a bit pricey for what it is.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas/thoughts/suggestions, please? The 17 is too wide, IMHO,for my purpose. The ideal would be say 25-75....but that isn't an option. 40-150? Or is there a better compromise around, perhaps?

BTW, I used to do street with my Canon 50D, and 18-200. Ideal lens range. But as soon as you get a DSLR out in the street, hackles seem to rise, feathers get ruffled...and people immediately see you as a threat, 'must be a paedo' or something like that. God alone knows why!!!

I wouldn't dismiss the 14-42mm EZ "pancake". I have one and it's a super little lens. I bought mine from Ffordes for 199 as a "split from kit" unboxed example but it still has the full Olympus 2 year warranty. That price is 50 less than the standard 14-42mm and 71 less than a boxed example. Ffordes are still advertising the lens at this price here: http://www.ffordes.com/category/Lenses/Micro_4/3rds_Fitting#&&PageIndex=1&SortDirection=Ascending&SortExpression=

I know these are not "street" shots but my recent threads here: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34916 and here : http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35721 show something of what it is capable of. The first thread also includes shots of it on my little E-PM2 which shows just how small it is.

Hope this helps.*chr

byegad
19th December 2014, 09:40 PM
The Sigma ART series lenses are great and not too expensive. I have all three and they give really sharp results.

PeterBirder
19th December 2014, 09:42 PM
Hi Iain
I'd wondered about Panasonic, but I was only aware of the 25; and I saw warnings on the net that it didn't work correctly on an Oly.

But Sigma..m'mm. I didn't realise they do m4/3 lenses...
Thanks
Keith

The "Official" Four Thirds site here : http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense.html will show you all the m 4/3 lenses available. Additionally if you click on the "Special Contents" drop down menu you will find the "Matching Simulator" which enables you to see what any camera/lens combination actually looks like.

Regards.*chr

chr1st0
19th December 2014, 09:43 PM
My main is the M5 and I have an E-PL1 with the Panasonic 20 mm for "travelling light" street photography. At first I missed the versatility of a zoom but quickly found the excitement of my earlier days of photography with a 50 mm fixed lens. I've found it a good discipline and I have to say that the Pany 20 is a peach of a lens.

KeithL
20th December 2014, 10:14 AM
That's great, folks, much to think about! Many thanks for the comments and useful links.

When I decide, I'll post what I've opted for.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the Pen. Not long now to Christmas!

Merry Christmas one and all.