PDA

View Full Version : Capture One caution

StephenL
7th November 2008, 03:47 PM
I've just gone back to trying the latest version of Capture One and found it to be very impressive for actually processing RAW files - possibly better results than Lightroom.
However, a snag I've come across, which I thought might be worth broadcasting, is that if, like me, you write IPTC keywords on your RAW file as you import them from the card (I use Downloader Pro), they are scrubbed off by C1.
Apparently this is a known problem, which they acknowledged in March, and promised to fix in a future release. Still waiting....

Ijay37
7th November 2008, 08:31 PM
Just as an aside does anyone know if there have been any independent instruction books written for capture one?

OlyPaul
9th November 2008, 07:55 AM
I've just gone back to trying the latest version of Capture One and found it to be very impressive for actually processing RAW files - possibly better results than Lightroom.
However, a snag I've come across, which I thought might be worth broadcasting, is that if, like me, you write IPTC keywords on your RAW file as you import them from the card (I use Downloader Pro), they are scrubbed off by C1.
Apparently this is a known problem, which they acknowledged in March, and promised to fix in a future release. Still waiting....

Hi Stephen, this seems to be a problem with all stand alone raw converter and not just C4, Silkypix is the same with a promise that the next version will work with xmp sidecar files, in fact the only other program I know that does not lose keywording added to raw files is ACDSee pro 2.5 which reads keywording added in Adobe or vice versa, the problem is although a great DAM program its a lousy raw processor, but then I did not buy it for that.:)

StephenL
9th November 2008, 01:43 PM
Lightroom seems OK for this.

OlyPaul
10th November 2008, 05:43 PM
Lightroom seems OK for this.

Indeed it is, has is CS3/ Bridge and Elements organizer I think all of Adobe products support embeded key wording. :)

StephenL
10th November 2008, 06:06 PM
The unfortunate thing is, just now I think C1 has the edge (just) on raw processing.