PDA

View Full Version : UV filter

Nichthewood
13th December 2014, 04:02 PM
i have just bought a second hand 70-300mm lens. Was just wondering if it is worth fitting a UV filter to protect it. Is there any downside to having one fitted?
Cheers

Nichthewood
13th December 2014, 04:09 PM
Just searched a little deeper and see mixed views on to use or not to use. If it's only for protection, could you not use a very cheap one?

David M
13th December 2014, 04:32 PM
The secret is to put an expensive one on the lens and put a cheap one on that to protect the expensive one.

Nichthewood
13th December 2014, 04:34 PM
Wish I'd thought of that. ��

Ricoh
14th December 2014, 01:07 PM
I used to worry about the front element, fitting filters to each lens acquired. A change of mind occurred when I got myself a P7-14. Its virtually impossible to fit a filter, so I use it as 'god' intended - it hasn't yet come to any harm. I'm now of the opinion that a lens hood is all you need. Having said that, filters have application dictated by environmental conditions, eg rain, it's far better to wipe a filter than the lens with bog standard tissue.

OM USer
15th December 2014, 10:18 AM
The biggest problem with filters (for protection) is internal reflection so get one with a good coating and don't go too cheap. In some controlled situations when shooting bright objects (eg the moon) it may be worth taking the filter off but in general the protection they afford is worth it. You never know when the camera may fall over or drop from a broken strap and a damaged filter can save an expensive lens in those rare situations (been there and done it and glad I had the foresight).

Peter_Hartland
15th December 2014, 11:04 AM
I use the new Hoya digital filters, they work plus protect the lens. I can not see the point of spending an expense on the best glass you can buy for your image quality & putting any old rubbish on the front. Best leave alone if thats the case.

byegad
15th December 2014, 12:49 PM
I have a lot of lenses. At the last count less than half of them have a UV filter. I tend to fit them on expensive lenses that have no lens hood and glass close to the front of the lens.