PDA

View Full Version : Poor Service

klian787
7th November 2008, 01:02 PM
Hi Guys, I would be interested in your opinion to see if Iím over reacting, or justified in my request for new boxes? Before I take legal action!

My E-3 was exhibiting a number of faults: *cry

1. Using popup flash: Camera would lockup
2. Using sequential shooting: Camera would lockup
3. Using wireless flash: underexpose regardless of settings
4. Battery indicator would flash red with fully charged batteries
5. Mirror damper stuck to the mirror
6. Dust in view prism from new

The camera had the latest firmware and these problems occurred with or without HLD-4; Reset would rectify for a while. Pro Support recommended I returned my E-3, HLD-4 complete with batteries and memory cards to aid diagnosis. I returned all of the equipment in the original boxes taking great care with bubble wrap to ensure these would not be damaged.

To OLYMPUSís credit I received my camera back within 2 weeks, the exposure system was replaced. On opening the package, the retail box was damaged and missing was the Body Cap, Flash Shoe Cover and my Memory Cards. On looking through the view finder it was blurred, on turning the dioptre adj, there was a loud clunk from inside the camera also a small paint chip. Everything appears to be working fine and I touched up the paint. I phoned customer support to complain, after 3 phone calls they kindly agreed to replace the missing items, and advised that my HLD-4 would be replaced when stock became available. They did offer to loan me a camera and arrange collection of my E-3 so they could inspect it. I declined for fear of more damage. *sob

To my surprise a couple of days later the HLD-4 turned up, again on opening the package, the retail box was badly ripped and crushed. I was a little confused as it was my original grip which they said they would replace. The boxes these items were returned in are perfect so the damage wasnít caused in transit. :mad:

I have made another 4 phone calls to OLYMPUS with a promise of a call from the manager; to date this has not happened, each time Iím told he is in a board meeting. :rolleyes:

Iím a manager for a large international high street retailer, one of the few that actually do stock OLYPUS equipment. We welcome complaints and feedback because that is how we improve our business, our philosophy ďwe do what is right for our customersĒ

I believe that OLYMPUS is one of the best innovators of new technology, I feel let down by an incompetent service department, and how can one be so unlucky to receive 2 damaged items and missing parts.

Ian
7th November 2008, 01:16 PM
One of the assets of the this site is that we have a kind of hot line with Olympus so I will flag this up with them and see where it goes.

Ian

klian787
7th November 2008, 02:06 PM
Hi, Ian

It sickens me having to post information like this and know this can taint the company’s image; I use this site quite regularly to keep up with the latest information and for opinions when purchasing new equipment.

I was happy to accept an apology the first time; credit to Kirsty at OLYMPUS, however twice is not acceptable, if my equipment can come half way around the world from China & Japan in pristine condition, I expect the same from Watford.

Many Thanks: Ian

Ian
11th November 2008, 04:56 PM
Hi, Ian

It sickens me having to post information like this and know this can taint the companyís image; I use this site quite regularly to keep up with the latest information and for opinions when purchasing new equipment.

I was happy to accept an apology the first time; credit to Kirsty at OLYMPUS, however twice is not acceptable, if my equipment can come half way around the world from China & Japan in pristine condition, I expect the same from Watford.

Many Thanks: Ian

Have been in touch with Olympus today and I'm 100% sure that your case will be resolved, even if it requires replacing the faulty items.

I'll contact you via email to get things moving.

Ian

Barr1e
11th November 2008, 05:21 PM
Klian787 -

I'm pleased I saw this thread as I have just returned home to find a second item which was returned to Olympus for attention.

I was going to start a thread with headlines of Brilliant Service. An item of Anne's was returned in 'as new' condition a few days ago as was mine today.

Sorry you have had problems but it does seem Oly got ours spot on.

So thanks Olympus.

Regards. Barr1e

gno
11th November 2008, 07:47 PM
Hi Ian,

You shouldn't need intervention from on high to get this resolved.
To my mind you have a good case under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality section alone never mind the damage caused while in their care.

Regards

Gavin

klian787
11th November 2008, 08:23 PM
Have been in touch with Olympus today and I'm 100% sure that your case will be resolved, even if it requires replacing the faulty items.

I'll contact you via email to get things moving.

Ian

Hi Ian

Iíve been in touch with OLYMPUS myself today 11/11/08 and Marcus is supposed to be ringing me tomorrow. I donít think this would have happened without your help as Iíve already received 3 promises. Many Thanks

To be fair in twenty years I have only used had to use OLYMPUS repair service once before when my FL-36 had to be repaired, that was returned in the original boxes in pristine condition. It was a little annoying that parts were missing, which have been replaced and the small paint chip I touched up, I know where it is but I doubt if anyone would notice it if I didnít point it out.

The boxes are badly damaged; some might say ďfor god sake there only boxesĒ I keep my equipment in pristine condition, with new equipment coming I sell my old equipment to off set the cost and have got a much better price than those without boxes, I sold a 14-54mm boxed recently for £270.

Something is very wrong, I donít want to believe that my equipment is being treated like this, however when I received both boxes, come to think of it the tape had been cut on one end, I just wonder if some thieving toe rag from FedEx has had his hand in the box for a lucky dip.

The whole experience has been exhausting!

photo_owl
11th November 2008, 08:23 PM
Hi Ian,

You shouldn't need intervention from on high to get this resolved.
To my mind you have a good case under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality section alone never mind the damage caused while in their care.

Regards

Gavin

Sorry but that's a completely different issue to the one that has been posted - but in any event that legislation also requires the manufacturer to have failed to resolve the matter to the satisfaction of the consumer before you go to the 'next level'. Here Olympus have only just been advised of the issue, and Ian has chosen to expedite things as well.

I certainly agree it that these things shouldn't happen - if, and when ('cos they do) go wrong it's the quality of the resolution that really differentiates companies. It's a shame Olympus UK (Europe) seem to trip themselves up.

klian787
11th November 2008, 09:17 PM
I certainly agree it that these things shouldn't happen - if, and when ('cos they do) go wrong it's the quality of the resolution that really differentiates companies. It's a shame Olympus UK (Europe) seem to trip themselves up.

I think youíve hit the nail on the head ďquality of the resolutionĒ There seems to be some inconsistency within the service department, Iím not saying they are not helpful, I have found the only one who gets things moving is Kirsty, always fulfilling her promise returning calls and she instigated despatch of the replacement parts.

Take ďAppleĒ fantastic computers, a couple of years ago I canít remember one ever being brought back faulty, now itís a different story, but their service department is second to none.

Iím confident that this will be sorted

gno
11th November 2008, 09:53 PM
Sorry but that's a completely different issue to the one that has been posted - but in any event that legislation also requires the manufacturer to have failed to resolve the matter to the satisfaction of the consumer before you go to the 'next level'. Here Olympus have only just been advised of the issue, and Ian has chosen to expedite things as well.

Olympus had the opportunity to replace the faulty E-3 in the first place and did nothing about, they returned a repaired camera in a damaged condition.
The camera was not fit for purpose in the first place and should have been replaced not repaired.

Ian
11th November 2008, 10:03 PM
Olympus had the opportunity to replace the faulty E-3 in the first place and did nothing about, they returned a repaired camera in a damaged condition.
The camera was not fit for purpose in the first place and should have been replaced not repaired.

I don't think anyone is denying that something went wrong. The main point now is that Olympus is committed to putting things right.

Ian

photo_owl
11th November 2008, 10:14 PM

you are talking with a level of comprehension I am afraid I don't have the benefit of.

I see a camera that has been in use for 9 months, not a few days, exhibiting faults that require resolution.

That resolution was not totally satisfactory and resulted in additional elements.

The timeline for this. latter, situation is days and one way or another management have been made aware and, no doubt, we will hear how things get resolved.

If I have misunderstood then no doubt the OP will advise.

PeterD
11th November 2008, 10:56 PM
Ian,

As some of you may recall, my E3 became defective (again:mad:) and had intermittent faults. I used the usual channels i.e. technical support and then followed this up with a call to Watford. Having described the problems and told them that I would personnally return the E3. I visited Watford, had a meeting with Marcus who took the camera away for checking. The camera had recorded the lock-up failure although this had only occurred several times during one shooting session. I also described the problem with the grip where settings were randomly changing. He came back with a loan E3 and new grip. I told him my main concern was reliability.
I still have the loan camera and it seems that the source of the intermittent failure has now been identified.
Although I have had a number of failures in the year since purchasing the E3 I have found that Olympus have been very good in supporting me when failures have occurred. I have never been without an E3 throughout the troubles.
I am sorry you have experienced the problems that you have but the purpose of this posting is to give you some confidence things are not all black. The 'black box' recording is a major asset within the E3 as it gave certainty to my complaints, I have not been treated at arms length as most manufacturers/suppliers do and I have been given feedback on progress.
I hope, and believe, that you too will get satisfaction.

Good Luck
Peter

klian787
11th November 2008, 11:30 PM

To clarify, under the sales of goods act, my contract is with the original supplier LCE not OLYMPUS, under new legislation a retailer is responsible for repair or replacement of the goods sold up to six years in the UK providing I can prove that the item had the same fault within the first six months of purchase. This does not apply in this case!

OLYMPUS has the right to repair or replace my E-3 at their discretion, which I accept. They also have an obligation to return my equipment in the same condition it was received. The whole scenario with missing parts, paint chip, stiff dioptre adj and damaged boxes are unacceptable, BUT, I accepted an apology on the understanding that this was a one off scenario, so OLYMPUS didnít refuse to take responsibility; they have replaced the missing parts. At this point I had lost confidence in the service and declined to send the E-3 back for inspection for fear of more damage.

On receiving the HLD back in a 2nd delivery in a worse condition just aggravated the situation, made even worse by the promise of phone calls that didnít happen!

As Barr1e said, he had 2 different items returned in ďas newĒ condition, Iím inclined to believe that it was damaged in transit, but the delivery packages were in perfect condition, the tape on one end of each box was cut, I wonder as I said in my last post if someone from FedEx has had their thieving hands in the box hoping for a lucky dip.

Itís strange and we may never find out how the damage occurred???

klian787
11th November 2008, 11:54 PM
Hi Peter

I appreciate your confidence and words of support; Iím glad that finally youíre going to get your E-3 sorted out, itís comforting knowing the support OLYMPUS has given you in your case, If I hadnít got confidence in OLYMPUS I wouldnít have invested in the E-System and still looking forward to the new E-4 *yes

Iím sure that this matter will come to a close, letís see what tomorrow brings?

klian787
12th November 2008, 07:04 PM
Allís well that ends well, as promised Marcus from OLYMPUS phoned today and agreed to send out new boxes. Iím still inclined to believe that damage was caused in transit. Marcus explained the repair procedure with the high end cameras, they are allocated to a technician from start to finish and great care is taken at all times.

My faith has been restored! Once again many thanks Ian. *chr

Barr1e, donít want to steal your lime light, perhaps you can start your thread ďGreat ServiceĒ :)

Ian
12th November 2008, 07:06 PM
Allís well that ends well, as promised Marcus from OLYMPUS phoned today and agreed to send out new boxes. Iím still inclined to believe that damage was caused in transit. Marcus explained the repair procedure with the high end cameras, they are allocated to a technician from start to finish and great care is taken at all times.

My faith has been restored! Once again many thanks Ian. *chr

Barr1e, donít want to steal your lime light, perhaps you can start your thread ďGreat ServiceĒ :)

Very pleased to hear this :)

Ian