PDA

View Full Version : Colour adjustment if shooting in Raw?

rayton
7th December 2014, 07:18 PM
I nearly always shoot in Raw format and wonder if some settings in the M10 can affect the colour output? My images seem to have greens (grass etc) that don't look natural compared to results from my previous Canon EOS 600D. They are too green ie. strongly saturated, a bit like the old Fuji Velvia film.

Peter_Hartland
7th December 2014, 11:02 PM
Try setting up a 18% grey card in one of your images & then use this to set your C/B in LR & see if this helps. Personally calibrate my camera using the Color Passport, although my camera (M1 or M5 isn't bad it's amazing the difference this makes.

rayton
7th December 2014, 11:33 PM
Thanks Peter. I will try that. Ray

PeterBirder
7th December 2014, 11:51 PM
I nearly always shoot in Raw format and wonder if some settings in the M10 can affect the colour output? My images seem to have greens (grass etc) that don't look natural compared to results from my previous Canon EOS 600D. They are too green ie. strongly saturated, a bit like the old Fuji Velvia film.

Colour rendering in digital cameras is also a function of the camera sensor and varies between brands and models in a similar way to the differences in different film brands/types.

I also shoot mainly raw and use Dxo optics Pro for raw development. This software allows you to develop your raw files using your camera's own colour rendition characteristics or select rendering from a whole host of Canon (including 600D)/Olympus/Nikon/Fuji/Sony etc.etc. cameras. You can also therefore render your files like other Olympus models such as the original E-1, which had a Kodak sensor and I can render my E-M5 files as if they were taken on an E-M1 which has a different sensor.

Regards.*chr

tomphotofx
8th December 2014, 12:23 AM
Just a quick thought of a work around for you concerning strongly saturated greens, when you process the raw just use the HSL panel in the Sat mode and reduce the green slider to what is acceptable to you. Don't make any other adjustments! Then save that setting only by de-ticking the rest of the options presented as a preset and then apply to all future raws that contain green. It hasn't fixed what is causing the problem but will stop it annoying you whenever you take anything thats green. You should be able to batch process all raws with this method. Hope this helps.

Tom.

rayton
8th December 2014, 07:46 AM
Thanks Peter & Tom for your helpful replies. Something for me to work on there. Ray

OlyPaul
8th December 2014, 08:20 AM
I nearly always shoot in Raw format and wonder if some settings in the M10 can affect the colour output? .

If shooting Raw then apart from exposure settings none of the camera settings will effect the colour output,even white balance can be altered after the fact.

The only thing that can do that is your Raw processor and all raw processors give a slightly different colour output depending on the processor.

The only exception to this is the Olympus raw converter that initially uses your camera setting, vibrant,normal etc.

rayton
8th December 2014, 10:31 AM
Thanks Paul. I will see what I can achieve at the Raw processor stage (LR) and consider also the Colour Passport. Ray

ruben.carmona
9th December 2014, 02:44 PM
If you want to "calibrate" your camera to have reliable colors, you need a color chart like Spydercheckr, which will create automatic color corrections for your pictures.

I use that for weddings, because I'm using a 5D Mark II and a Nikon D700. It's not only nice to get reliable colors but also consistent (same) colors on all pictures...

rayton
9th December 2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks Ruben for mentioning Spydercheckr. After reading the reviews on Amazon I think I will go for it. Datacolor Photo Colour Control: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XpFYlT16L.@@AMEPARAM@@41XpFYlT16L

ruben.carmona
9th December 2014, 03:26 PM
Just let me know if you need any help to start with.

rayton
9th December 2014, 03:38 PM
Many thanks - I might need help!

sdb123
9th December 2014, 04:59 PM
When processing my E-M10 images in LR5, I find that the colours seem truer when selecting the Camera Natural option from the Camera Calibration/Profile area. Not sure why however the colours prior to that can appear to be a little garish for some tastes...

rayton
9th December 2014, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the post sdb123 but since I shoot in Raw I doubt if the camera Natural option will have any effect. Ray

sdb123
9th December 2014, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the post sdb123 but since I shoot in Raw I doubt if the camera Natural option will have any effect. Ray

I shoot in Raw too. :) I'm talking about post-processing Raw files in LR5...the calibration option does make a difference to the colour on screen.

rayton
9th December 2014, 06:03 PM
Ah I misunderstood but just to clarify - do you set 'Natural' in the camera menu under Shooting Menu - Picture Mode? That's my setting but I am getting a colour cast in LR.

sdb123
9th December 2014, 06:23 PM
In the develop screen, at the bottom of the right-hand pane there is a section entitled Camera Calibration with a further drop down of Profile (typically Camera Vivid, Camera Natural, Camera Portrait, etc.). I select the Camera Natural setting and it's a lot more pleasant to view (IMO).

rayton
9th December 2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks for pointing that section out which I hadn't used before. It was on Adobe Standard and when I move it to Natural I can see it makes the image slightly 'more lively'. I will try that in future.