PDA

View Full Version : Initial look at Lumix DMC-G1 high ISO performance

Four Thirds User
6th November 2008, 05:30 PM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

Our review Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 arrived today, so what better than to get going with a rough and ready examination of its high ISO performance compared to the DMC-L10 and the Olympus E-3?

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2008/11/initial_look_at_lumix_dmcg1_high_iso_performance.p hp)

crimbo
6th November 2008, 05:37 PM
now the thing that really interests me is that the m4/3rds appears to be about the same size as my beloved E400...
Are the Oly designs going to be smaller I wonder?

Ian
6th November 2008, 05:43 PM
now the thing that really interests me is that the m4/3rds appears to be about the same size as my beloved E400...
Are the Oly designs going to be smaller I wonder?

The E-400 is about half a centimetre wider along the base-plate. It's deeper, too, but the top plate is about the same height as the G1. The top of the flash (folded down) is about half a centimeter higher than the G1.

I'm sure Micro Four Thirds can go much smaller than a G1.

Ian

crimbo
6th November 2008, 08:24 PM
we'll see...
what would be really cool is to use the 12MP and square crop it and create a 'box' with the screen on top... wonder where I have seen that design before:)

Ian
6th November 2008, 08:29 PM
we'll see...
what would be really cool is to use the 12MP and square crop it and create a 'box' with the screen on top... wonder where I have seen that design before:)

Sony did something like this with the DSC-R1, which was very DSLR-like, but didn't havan interchangeable lens.

Ian

Zuiko
6th November 2008, 09:55 PM
we'll see...

Probably would be a lot of hassle for Oly, but I'd be blad if they did!

Makonde
7th November 2008, 06:21 PM
I have to say that all the ISO 3200 shots are unacceptably noisy, with the E3 coming out best. But as these are comparisons of the cameras' jpeg output we can't really make any proper deductions until we see raw RAWs.