PDA

View Full Version : 12-60 SWD faulty

alfbranch
25th November 2014, 10:58 PM
My SWD 12-60 is playing and is pretty much a 12mm f2.8 lens.

It currently overexposes badly when I zoom in beyond about 14mm. I am using it on my E-M1 with an MMF3 adapter.

I have cleaned all 4 set of contacts my 4/3 Sigma 105 works fine and my M4/3 12-50 40-15 work fine too.

Anybody seen this before?

Is this going to be worth repairing?

Ralph Harwood
25th November 2014, 11:10 PM
Hi there Alf!

I'm wondering if it might be a possibility that the ribbon cable inside which attaches to the contact block is damaged - hence as you zoom it is becoming under tension and you loose the aperture adjustment (I think that the iris block stays still in relation to the contact block rather than moves back and forth, but I could be wrong as I have never opened up a 12-60 before). If it is just a cable issue then it could be repaired, and it would probably be cheaper than replacing it at the moment as the 12-60 still seems to be holding it's value quite well.

On the other hand it may well be the impertus you need to get the 12-40 instead!

Hope you can get it sorted,

Cheers,

Ralph.

IainMacD
26th November 2014, 07:54 AM
Hi Alf
This sounds very much like what happened to Duncan's (Wanderer) 12-60 when we were on a trip a few years back. His had to go to Olympus to be fixed and he found a steady trickle of similar reports online. I have been worried about the same thing happening to mine!

Bikie John
26th November 2014, 10:01 AM
You could try asking our friends at Luton Camera Repair Services. I have used them several times, in OM days and to repair my 12-60 (different problem) and found them excellent. others here also report good service from them.

http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/

John

andym
26th November 2014, 01:41 PM
Had a similar fault on mine where the aperture blades would stick at various settings.
Went back to Portugal and was returned 8 days later at a cost of £112.00. I was pleased with the price.

It's a lens I would not want to be without, I like the 12-40 but not in my range at the mom and I'd probably miss the extra 20mm.

alfbranch
26th November 2014, 01:48 PM
Just doene another test and at 60 f4 it worked fine.

Thanks all of the comments and Andy that is very useful to know the price.

Probably is the ribbon Ralph hence the ebay sales of them
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Lens-Aperture-Flex-Cable-For-Olympus-ZUIKO-DIGITAL12-60mm-12-60-mm1-2-8-4-/171419341610?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Digital_Camer a_Parts&hash=item27e963932a

John
I was aiming to contact Luton cameras for an estimate.

Graptolite
26th November 2014, 09:15 PM
It sounds identical to a problem that I had with mine last year Alf. The problem was with the aperture blades sticking if the lens was extended beyond about 14mm. Luton cameras reconstructed the iris mechanism, which cost me £178. :(
Rather steep, but it has performed faultlessly since then.

alfbranch
27th November 2014, 01:10 AM
It sounds identical to a problem that I had with mine last year Alf. The problem was with the aperture blades sticking if the lens was extended beyond about 14mm. Luton cameras reconstructed the iris mechanism, which cost me 178. :(
Rather steep, but it has performed faultlessly since then.

Thats toughly where my estimate from them comes in.

IainMacD
27th November 2014, 07:56 AM
I would still consider sending it to Olympus they will give it a full service and might even replace the motor for a fixed price?

alfbranch
4th December 2014, 10:42 AM
This has been sent to Olympus.

alfbranch
4th December 2014, 10:44 AM
Had a similar fault on mine where the aperture blades would stick at various settings.
Went back to Portugal and was returned 8 days later at a cost of 112.00. I was pleased with the price.

It's a lens I would not want to be without, I like the 12-40 but not in my range at the mom and I'd probably miss the extra 20mm.
I contacted Luton cameras and they quoted a lot more than this I will see what Olympus say.

alfbranch
1st January 2015, 10:22 PM
I have had this repaired by Olympus now with a new Iris unit fitted for just under £111.