PDA

View Full Version : Lock up

sapper
6th November 2008, 07:26 AM
I bin in Glencoe Scotland :)for a few days doing a masterclass with a guy called Ian Cameron. Very good weather and light but my E 3 'locked up' on me a couple of times.:mad:
I was shooting bracket exposures, no IS, shutter delay, and more than once the camera just seized up. No response at all. Even turning camera on and off didn't work straight away. Fully charged battery. No mention in the manual of this that I can see.
Anyone got an idea as to what happened? It will probably have to go back to Oly for a service.

Dick Bowman
6th November 2008, 07:48 AM
I've had that happen with both an E-1 and an E-3.

Was having problems getting a properly working E-3 in December-January, the dealer arranged a swap and I don't think I've had it happen to me with the E-3 since.

From other comments over the years it seems to be "one of those thigs" with Olympus DSLRs - don't think anyone ever pinned down precisely what sets it off.

PeterD
6th November 2008, 08:04 AM
I bin in Glencoe Scotland :)for a few days doing a masterclass with a guy called Ian Cameron. Very good weather and light but my E 3 'locked up' on me a couple of times.:mad:
I was shooting bracket exposures, no IS, shutter delay, and more than once the camera just seized up. No response at all. Even turning camera on and off didn't work straight away. Fully charged battery. No mention in the manual of this that I can see.
Anyone got an idea as to what happened? It will probably have to go back to Oly for a service.

Dave

Before responding fully - Do you mean you had mirror lock up?

Peter

250swb
6th November 2008, 08:10 AM
I have had a lockups early on, but it was my fault for not noticing what was going on. The camera was set such that some of the bracket exposure times went into the 'seconds', and thereby the Noise Reduction function kicks in and the time taken for the exposures becomes twice as long while a dark frame is processed. So a five second exposure became a ten second exposure, and ten seconds can seem like a lifetime when you are not expecting it. During this time I was trying to press buttons, switch on and off etc, but the camera failed to respond, and I assume it got very confused. I wonder if not being able to switch it off was because the camera needs to record the last used settings, which were probably queueing up by then.

Other people have reported that a build up of heat can cause lockups especially when using Live View, but this has never happened to me, I think...

Steve

sapper
6th November 2008, 04:01 PM
Dave

Before responding fully - Do you mean you had mirror lock up?

Peter
Menu calls it "Anti shock".

PeterD
6th November 2008, 05:31 PM
Menu calls it "Anti shock".

Dave,

The anti shock function is not what I meant. I have never used it. I really do mean that the mirror moves up and refuses to drop again. Hence my query of mirror lock-up.

Peter

sapper
6th November 2008, 05:50 PM
No Peter, it wasn't the mirror locking up. Just when trying to change shutter speed or aperture, nothing happened. Screen was OK, but no 'movement' when trying to change things.

PeterD
6th November 2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks Dave,

I have not seen those symptoms at all.

Peter

PeterD
6th November 2008, 06:17 PM
Dave,

I have had a number of issues over time and always contacted Olympus Technical support. They have always been invaluable in giving advice. You may have done this already but I mention it just in case. They have always given good advice and they are in contact with users throughout the EU.

Peter

Chillimonster
6th November 2008, 06:32 PM
Did you have a 'grip' on the camera?

Zuiko
6th November 2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Dave,

You say you were bracketing, were you using RAW? Maybe if you took a lot of shots in quick succession it was a buffering problem? Was the red light on the back of the camera flashing? Approximately how long was it before your camera became functional again?

Cheers,

John.

sapper
6th November 2008, 09:07 PM
Did you have a 'grip' on the camera?

No. Camera mounted on a tripod via 510 head.

sapper
6th November 2008, 09:10 PM
Hi Dave,

You say you were bracketing, were you using RAW? Maybe if you took a lot of shots in quick succession it was a buffering problem? Was the red light on the back of the camera flashing? Approximately how long was it before your camera became functional again?

Cheers,

John.

It could have been this John. I was shooting RAW, don't remember seeing the buffering light though. I will try it out in the garden tomorrow, cheers.

Zuiko
6th November 2008, 09:11 PM
Any pics from the course BTW? :)

Zuiko
6th November 2008, 09:14 PM
It could have been this John. I was shooting RAW, don't remember seeing the buffering light though. I will try it out in the garden tomorrow, cheers.

Just another thought, Dave. What memory card were you using? A "slow" card may extend the buffering times.

Cheers,

sapper
6th November 2008, 09:19 PM
Any pics from the course BTW? :)

Give us a chance, I'm worn out:)
Up before dawn, out till after dark. Four different beds in 9 days.
It is taking me an age to download the pics but when I have edited some I will post 'em.

Zuiko
6th November 2008, 09:33 PM
Give us a chance, I'm worn out:)
Up before dawn, out till after dark. Four different beds in 9 days.
It is taking me an age to download the pics but when I have edited some I will post 'em.

Oh you poor thing! I'm soooo glad I only had to spend a few hours a day slacking in the bank where I work while poor old you had to do all that! :p

Seriously, Dave, I know what you mean. Get some well-earned rest and we'll just be patient! :)

*chr

klian787
7th November 2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Sapper, I was having this problem with the E-3 locking up regardless of default or user settings, the camera controls would refuse to function and only the top LCD would remain on. Sometimes turning the camera on/off was sufficient, other times I had to remove the batteries to get it working again.

Regularly in sequential shooting the camera would lock with the mirror up, in this case on removing the batteries and reinserting them it would take about ten minutes before you could switch it back on, suggesting the camera was over heating.

Over time it got worse, Pro Support in Germany is fantastic and suggested I sent it back to OLYMPUS, they replaced the exposure system. Due to my bad experience with UK Service, I suggest you list what you return with the E-3 and take photos of your camera and how you package it. Read my post “Poor Service”

Ian