PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need help with purchasing a fast SD-Card

jamaljan
12th November 2014, 06:44 PM
hi everyone... :)

I currently own a Kingston SDHC 16GB class 10 card, but I read there are more advanced and faster cards available these days.

Since I'll be having some time in the coming days, I want to take a lot of pics in the learning process.

Currently, when I take too many shots at once or RAW footage, I feel as if the camera is taking time to record it.

So, bottom line - should I get a new SD-Card and if so, which one. I've checked amazon and there is so much variety that its really very confusing...

bilbo
12th November 2014, 06:57 PM
I use SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 Mb/sec in my E-M1. No problems.

jamaljan
12th November 2014, 07:41 PM
I use SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 Mb/sec in my E-M1. No problems.

thanks but 95 mb/sec cards are too expensive... will the 30mb/sec or 45mb/sec clas 10 cards not be enough?

Ricoh
12th November 2014, 07:51 PM
Have a look at Extreme Pro Plus... 60Mb/s

Wally
12th November 2014, 07:56 PM
The fastest SD cards are classified as Class 10, which means that they have a minimum write speed of over 10 Mbps.

The SanDisk Extreme Pro - SDHC UHS Class 1 promise speed of 95 MB/s write speed.

Sandisk's Extreme III SDHC memory cards, however, purport to go above and beyond this standard by attaining write speeds of 30 Mbps.

Transcend SDHC Class 10 Card - Write speeds up to 20 Mbps, which is a wee bit slower than the SanDisk Extreme III, but still lightning fast and suitable for HD video recording. Plus, Transcend gives lifetime warranties for their cards, which is a perk, if only for your peace of mind.

Lexar 8GB Professional 133x SDHC Card - Class 10 SD cards with 20 Mbps.

I've found the 30Mb's fast enough with the video tag. used for indoor video and stills without aany problems.

ianinsuffolk
12th November 2014, 08:37 PM
The Integral 16GB Class 10 95-90MBps UltimaPro X SDHC Memory Card is £22.22 with Amazon. Just changed to this card from Lexar and seems a little faster. Has been well received in the photographic press.

Ian

SteveJ
12th November 2014, 09:12 PM
I think maybe it is the camera's buffer being filled rather than the speed of your card.

Steve

OM USer
13th November 2014, 11:33 AM
I use both Transcend Class 10 U1 16GB and Sandisk Class 10 U1 45MBs 16GB cards which I have found to be reasonably priced and reasonably quick. I also have a U1 USB3 card reader to get the files off the card in quick order.