PDA

View Full Version : HELP! No confirmed focus

Colynne
11th November 2014, 04:30 PM
Hi,
I'm a new user to digital SLRs and have just bought a second hand E420 together with a focus confirmed lens adaptor so I can use my old lenses from my OM10 on the E420, but I find that when I fit the lens which is a Vivitar 28-200 manual focus to the camera via the lens I am not getting any focus confirm signal. Do I have to change any of the settings on the camera for this to happen, what am I doing wrong.
PLease help
:(

byegad
11th November 2014, 05:11 PM
You have no electrical connection between the lens and camera so won't get a focus confirm signal.

OM USer
11th November 2014, 05:22 PM
You have no electrical connection between the lens and camera so won't get a focus confirm signal.

A focus confirm adapter has built in electrics (typically a "dandelion" chip) which communicate with the camera. This fools the camera into thinking a 43rds lens is attached so the phase detect chip continues to operate and will beep and light up the green dot (or it may be just the green dot and no beep) as the focus ring is turned through the point of focus and the PD chip sees the split image start to slide the other way.

Hi,
Do I have to change any of the settings on the camera for this to happen, what am I doing wrong.

I have no practical experience of these adapters so can not comment further except to say that they can be programmed with the focal length of the lens attached to give some sort of EXIF data to the camera but I do not believe this is necessary to get the focus confirmation.

Try to find the instructions for the chip in your adapter.

StephenL
11th November 2014, 05:30 PM
Hi and welcome. These "dandelion" adaptors were notoriously unreliable even when new, so don't presume you're doing anything wrong.

byegad
11th November 2014, 05:32 PM
Thanks for that OMuser, not something I've used, being happy enough to rely on MkI eyeball confirmation of focus.

IainMacD
11th November 2014, 07:23 PM
Are you pressing the shutter release half way while focussing? I seem to remember I had to do that with my dandelion chip adapter, but could be wrong?

Harold Gough
12th November 2014, 04:30 PM
I bought one of those (Chinese import?) and got frequent green dot and no beep wherever the focus was. I sent it back.

Harold