PDA

View Full Version : E-M10 not focusing

Camera72
1st November 2014, 09:17 PM
Hi i just bought a brand new E-M10 this morning and went out onto the streets to start using it. But after 2 hours of shooting i had maybe 3 photos out of 60 in focus. So i sat down and went though the settings again. Then went back out and the same nothing in focus. Now i am also using a 45mm F1.8 lens with the camera.
What the hell could i be doing wrong?
I've tried some many different settings with the camera and nothing helps.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

IainMacD
1st November 2014, 09:34 PM
If you post an example with the exif intact it would give the experts on here a chance to check if there is an obvious cause other than a technical fault. Failing that, let us know what settings you were using.

Camera72
1st November 2014, 09:40 PM
If you post an example with the exif intact it would give the experts on here a chance to check if there is an obvious cause other than a technical fault. Failing that, let us know what settings you were using.

i deleted all the images and reset the camera. To be honest i tried so many different settings it would hard to remember them all.
I tried the camera with face detection on and off, different Shutter speeds, moving targets and even people standing still.

Camera72
1st November 2014, 10:05 PM
http://s28.postimg.org/k2fl1c6qx/asa.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/k2fl1c6qx/)

ƒ/1.8 45.0 mm
1/1250
100 Flash (on, did not fire)
Hide EXIF
JFIFVersion - 1.01
X-Resolution - 72 dpi
Y-Resolution - 72 dpi
Image Description - OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

peak4
1st November 2014, 10:31 PM
Unfortunately the photo is private on flickr, so we can't get to see the exif data.
I'd say the camera does focus, just not where you were hoping ;)

Did you have all focus points activated? If so, it was probably focussing on one of the points of highest contrast, which wasn't the chap in the foreground.

Persevere for a bit and the good folks on here will be happy to assist.
No question you ask will be considered daft, so don't be shy.

Just had an additional thought; what lenses where you using. On some, the focus ring slides back and forth as well as rotating. This engages manual focus; It's caught me out a time or two as well.

Camera72
1st November 2014, 10:35 PM
Did you have all focus points activated?

how do i check this

Camera72
1st November 2014, 10:39 PM
Here is all the info:

FIFVersion - 1.01
X-Resolution - 72 dpi
Y-Resolution - 72 dpi
Make - OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Orientation - Horizontal (normal)
Software - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Macintosh)
Date and Time (Modified) - 2014:11:01 16:35:12
ISO Speed - 100
Sensitivity Type - Standard Output Sensitivity
Exif Version - 0230
Date and Time (Original) - 2014:11:01 13:47:45
Date and Time (Digitized) - 2014:11:01 13:47:45
Exposure Bias - 0 EV
Max Aperture Value - 1.8
Metering Mode - Multi-segment
Light Source - Unknown
Color Space - sRGB
Focal Plane X-Resolution - 2661.021277
Focal Plane Y-Resolution - 2661.021277
Focal Plane Resolution Unit - cm
File Source - Digital Camera
Custom Rendered - Custom
Exposure Mode - Manual
White Balance - Manual
Digital Zoom Ratio - 1
Focal Length (35mm format) - 90 mm
Scene Capture Type - Standard
Gain Control - None
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
Lens Info - 45mm f/1.8
Lens Model - OLYMPUS M.45mm F1.8
XMPToolkit - XMP Core 5.4.0
Format - image/jpeg
Description - OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Flash Compensation - 0
Approximate Focus Distance - 8.59
Metadata Date - 2014:11:01 16:35:12Z
Creator Tool - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Macintosh)
Instance ID - xmp.iid:01829962-4e92-4a23-8ecb-97d14150ba13
Document ID - xmp.did:01829962-4e92-4a23-8ecb-97d14150ba13
Original Document ID - BFDCA50B17C759F41F02B08886AB286B
History Action - derived
History Parameters - converted from image/x-olympus-raw to image/jpeg, saved to new location
History Software Agent - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Macintosh)
History Changed - /
History When - 2014:11:01 16:35:12Z
History Instance ID - xmp.iid:01829962-4e92-4a23-8ecb-97d14150ba13
Derived From Original Document ID - BFDCA50B17C759F41F02B08886AB286B
Derived From Document ID - BFDCA50B17C759F41F02B08886AB286B
Coded Character Set - UTF8
Application Record Version - 2
Digital Creation Time - 13:47:45
Digital Creation Date - 2014:11:01
Time Created - 13:47:45
Caption- Abstract - OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Date Created - 2014:11:01
IPTCDigest - a1a1d202cb4a9f78a0d3829b77a90091
Viewing Cond Illuminant - 19.6445 20.3718 16.8089
Viewing Cond Surround - 3.92889 4.07439 3.36179
Viewing Conditions Illuminant Type - D50
Measurement Observer - CIE 1931
Measurement Backing - 0 0 0
Measurement Geometry - Unknown (0)
Measurement Flare - 0.999%
Measurement Illuminant - D65

Ricoh
1st November 2014, 10:39 PM
Best way is to enable the super control panel, then the middle icon, that allows setting of focus points.

Camera72
1st November 2014, 10:46 PM
Best way is to enable the super control panel, then the middle icon, that allows setting of focus points.

http://s11.postimg.org/fopnozrlv/IMG_0256.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/i61ew9bi7/full/)
adult image (http://postimage.org/)

Camera72
1st November 2014, 10:46 PM
S-AF is showing

Ricoh
1st November 2014, 10:51 PM
Next one along, with all the dots showing, focus point off bore-sight. Click, or cursor along, and set where you want, eg in the middle. Then press half way on where you want the focus, recompose and press fully for the shot. Don't release the half press imbetween.

Zuiko
1st November 2014, 10:52 PM
In the example you have posted the camera has certainly focused, but on the background rather than your intended subject. Are you using single focus point or multiple points? Is your camera set to focus and hold upon a half press of the shutter button or by one of the function buttons? My own prefered method is single point with a half press of the shutter button. This allows me to focus on the subject then recompose whilst holding focus with the half press before taking the picture. A moving subject can be quite difficult with the shallow depth of field you get at f1.8, it might be worth stopping down a bit whilst you get used to the camera - although in this particular picture it's obviously not shallow DOF that is causing the problem.

In your For Sale thread you mention giving up as you cannot get a good enough camera for street photography for £700. What cameras have you tried? How about your Nikon D300s? Plenty of photographers manage on a far lower budget - I think it's just a case of persevering until you get used to the E-M10. It really deserves a longer trial than just one day but if it eventually becomes obvious that it doesn't suit you, I'm sure that you'll find another camera that does, be it a DSLR or a Compact System Camera.

EDIT: Sorry that some of my points have already been covered - I type too slowly!

Camera72
1st November 2014, 10:58 PM
Zuiko, Ricoh i use single focus point and half press of the shutter button.

Could the camera do this (the photo) if you half press and then press all the way really fast?

Ricoh
1st November 2014, 11:15 PM
The lens has to focus of course, which isn't instantaneous. For street I prefer using a manual focus 'fly by wire' lens such as the 17/f1.8. Set aperture/focus to provide a suitable range. Such lenses have a depth of field scale engraving for this purpose.

Zuiko
1st November 2014, 11:16 PM
Zuiko, Ricoh i use single focus point and half press of the shutter button.

Could the camera do this (the photo) if you half press and then press all the way really fast?

If you focus and shoot really fast you won't have time to hear the focus confirmation beep or see the continuous green focus confirmation light. What happens next depends on whether the shutter release priority is set to On or Off. If it is set to On, then the camera will take the picture regardless of whether or not correct focus has been achieved. If it is set to Off then a picture will only be taken if it is correctly focused. This will mean some missed shots, but will dramatically reduce the number that are out of focus.

To check and adjust the release priority (this is for my E-M5 but I assume that it will be similar for your E-M10) follow this procedure:-

Menu > Cogs Symbol > C Release > Press OK > Rls Priority S > On/Off.

Greytop
1st November 2014, 11:20 PM
I've had a look at the image with PhotoME and it's unable to extract any focus pint confirmation data from the exif.
Is that the full frame or a cropped image?
Edit: If it's cropped could you put up a link to the full frame?

However looking at the image the market stall(?) in the background looks to be in focus, in particular the sign reading 'Brand New Books £3 each'.

Olybirder
1st November 2014, 11:31 PM
In the image of the Super Control Panel which you have posted, it is set to single focus point but not the central one. It is the row above the central position. If you were to place the centre focus point over the subject it would focus on a point above it. I don't know if this relevant?

Ron

OlyPaul
2nd November 2014, 09:05 AM
http://s28.postimg.org/k2fl1c6qx/asa.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/k2fl1c6qx/)

ƒ/1.8 45.0 mm
1/1250
100 Flash (on, did not fire)
Hide EXIF
JFIFVersion - 1.01
X-Resolution - 72 dpi
Y-Resolution - 72 dpi

It's definitely focused on the white books for sale sign and at f/1.8 there is not much in front or behind it going to be in focus, I'm afraid this is strictly user error. If you had used face detect (or the correct focus point active) it would have locked onto the guy in the foreground instantly.

When on the street I've even used face detect shooting from the hip on my E-10 and as long as there is a full face in the frame it has locked on with no problem.

This was a quick grab shot of my Granddaughter who never keeps still using face detect and the 45mm @ f/1.8 with no problem.:)

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography/image/158069599/original.jpg

Camera72
2nd November 2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone.

I did set the camera to face detect, that didn't work so i turned it off. I've moved the focus point about making sure it was where i was pointing the camera and yes i waited until it went green. i've tried all sorts of settings and it drove me crazy.
The photo hasn't been cropped.

Greytop
2nd November 2014, 10:45 AM
So now you have your camera at home, a simple test of setting SAF and centre point on a target, does it work?

Camera72
2nd November 2014, 01:05 PM
So now you have your camera at home, a simple test of setting SAF and centre point on a target, does it work?

Yes it does

Camera72
2nd November 2014, 05:11 PM
Just back from Wex in Norwich. They just swapped out the camera for a new one.
And i've just tried to take 3 photos of my walking (not very fast) and the damn camera won't get her in focus.

So now i know its me.

peak4
2nd November 2014, 06:08 PM
Are you set to continuous Auto Focus? i.e. CF
If so, the default setting for Release Priority C is ON
The wording is a bit perverse, but what it means is that if Rls Priority is set to ON, then the shutter will fire when you press the release button, regardless of whether the subject is in focus.
Rls Priority can be set independently for SF and CF
The defaults are
SF-Rls Priority OFF
CF-Rls Priority ON

Have another play, but make sure you are set on SF (not SF+MF, as this could alter the focus if you move the focussing ring on the lens after the camera has done its own AF bit)

Camera72
2nd November 2014, 06:24 PM
Have another play, but make sure you are set on SF (not SF+MF, as this could alter the focus if you move the focussing ring on the lens after the camera has done its own AF bit)

No more playing for me, tell to sell and quit photography

Ulfric M Douglas
2nd November 2014, 06:26 PM
Your experience is common, especially for those coming from certain DSLR models ;
I did set the camera to face detect, that didn't work so i turned it off. I've moved the focus point about making sure it was where i was pointing the camera and yes i waited until it went green. i've tried all sorts of settings and it drove me crazy.
The photo hasn't been cropped.
These type of cameras often seem to focus on the background, not on what you want. Mostly they are being aimed wrong, sometimes they last focused at distance and simply go for the nearest sharp object which at that moment is the background.
Take a deep breath, relax.

Set face-detect ON because it really is superb.
Set focus to centre point only.
Take a photo of the floor about three yards away.
Set burst low-speed.
Now point at the interesting old gadgies, making sure you aim exactly at them, press the shutter as quick as you like, half-press or not, it doesn't much matter with E-M10&45mm.

If that doesn't work you have another superb option : touch-screen to focus and shoot. Brilliant.

benvendetta
2nd November 2014, 07:19 PM
It is pretty clear that you need to focus on the point of interest (half press), get the confirmation noise, recompose and shoot.
No way is the camera (or two of them) at fault.
Keep practicing, I am sure it will come.

shotokan101
2nd November 2014, 07:35 PM
Sounds to me that WEX should have checked the focus issue with you there and then showed you how to use the camera AF properly....

Camera72
2nd November 2014, 08:04 PM
Sounds to me that WEX should have checked the focus issue with you there and then showed you how to use the camera AF properly....

They did, that's why the exchanged the camera

shotokan101
2nd November 2014, 08:10 PM
They did, that's why the exchanged the camera

Obviously not very well then as the exchanged camera is still performing the same.... :confused:

Camera72
2nd November 2014, 08:15 PM
Obviously not very well then as the exchanged camera is still performing the same.... :confused:

I was there for over hour, the camera wasn't playing ball in the shop. We then tested other lenses with the camera. The new camera seemed to be faster with the focus, until I started shooting on the streets again.
I have no idea why

StephenL
2nd November 2014, 08:32 PM
I would advise on just taking it out of the box and shooting with it. Don't change anything to start with.

shotokan101
2nd November 2014, 08:33 PM
...apart from taking the lens cap off and putting a charged battery and a memory card in of course ;)

Greytop
2nd November 2014, 11:21 PM
I was there for over hour, the camera wasn't playing ball in the shop. We then tested other lenses with the camera. The new camera seemed to be faster with the focus, until I started shooting on the streets again.
I have no idea why

I have to ask the question why did you leave Wex with a camera that wasn't playing ball in the shop?

Camera72
3rd November 2014, 08:20 AM
I have to ask the question why did you leave Wex with a camera that wasn't playing ball in the shop?

i didn't, i left with the one they exchanged it with, which seemed to have faster auto focus in the shop away.

Zuiko
3rd November 2014, 11:07 AM
I can appreciate that this camera really isn't working out for you and it's best if it goes, but I think it is sad if you are still contemplating giving up photography completely. What other cameras have you tried? Maybe the focusing system of a traditional DSLR would suit you better? Of course, we're naturally biased towards Olympus here, but they are not the only fish in the sea! I hope you do manage to find a camera that suits you and I wish you luck with your photography. :)

Camera72
3rd November 2014, 11:18 AM
I can appreciate that this camera really isn't working out for you and it's best if it goes, but I think it is sad if you are still contemplating giving up photography completely. What other cameras have you tried? Maybe the focusing system of a traditional DSLR would suit you better? Of course, we're naturally biased towards Olympus here, but they are not the only fish in the sea! I hope you do manage to find a camera that suits you and I wish you luck with your photography. :)

This year alone, Nikon D5100, Nikon D300 with 50mm F1.4D, Fuji X100, Nikon D7000, Canon 7D 50mm F1.4, Nikon D300 again (which died on me), Canon 5D mark 2, Nikon D300s and now the Olympus E-M10

so just a few

Zuiko
3rd November 2014, 12:00 PM
This year alone, Nikon D5100, Nikon D300 with 50mm F1.4D, Fuji X100, Nikon D7000, Canon 7D 50mm F1.4, Nikon D300 again (which died on me), Canon 5D mark 2, Nikon D300s and now the Olympus E-M10

so just a few

:eek: .....and none of them worked? :confused:

Was focus the problem with all of them?

Have you considered joining a camera club or enrolling on a photography course? In either case you could get some hands on, one-to-one help.

Camera72
3rd November 2014, 12:05 PM
:eek: .....and none of them worked? :confused:

Was focus the problem with all of them?

Have you considered joining a camera club or enrolling on a photography course? In either case you could get some hands on, one-to-one help.

Nope the focus was great on D300 and D300s, the Canon's auto focus was a bit to slow. I hated the button placement on Nikon D7000 and Fuji X100.
The problem i had with Nikon D300 and D300s was the iso, it would get dark and i had no choice but to put the camera away.
I should say that i've been shooting on the street since the late 80's starting with 35mm. So i am not new to photography

Chevvyf1
3rd November 2014, 01:57 PM

so just a few

Golly Gosh :eek: that is a phenomenal list of the BEST Cameras to be tried in a year *chr Shame none measure up to your needs, but also extremely rare I have to say !

How much time did you give to each camera ?

Of course, it could be that you are still very much attuned to 35mm and not digital, it can be a difficult transition to digital. It took me some time to get used to Digital and lots more time to get used to the complex ONE .... but it sure was well worth it :)

benvendetta
3rd November 2014, 01:59 PM

so just a few

You have had more cameras in a year than I have had since I first started in photography in 1971!

Phill D
3rd November 2014, 10:25 PM
Wow ditto that comment from me too Dave. That is some rolling investment. It's a shame nothing seems to work for you. It would be an even greater shame if you gave up photography as some of the shots you posted in the other thread were excellent. I couldn't see anything that was showing focus issues.

Greytop
3rd November 2014, 10:58 PM
It would be an even greater shame if you gave up photography as some of the shots you posted in the other thread were excellent. I couldn't see anything that was showing focus issues.

I one hundred percent agree Phill, some excellent images there Camera72.

woof woof
4th November 2014, 01:56 AM
Golly Gosh.

Maybe it's time to either practice, practice and practice or just stick the gear in MF and use zone focusing?

And as for 35mm experience... I find it difficult to believe that cameras were quicker to AF back then than digital cameras are now.

Rocknroll59
4th November 2014, 07:32 AM
OMG.....can't believe that you've had such bad luck....I agree with most points on here, maybe a visit to Olympus in Bishopsgate on friday's where you can get help from those who understand the system.

I have never had a problem focusing with my EM-1, and when I bought my 45mm lens i didn't realise that it had a ring which you could pull backwards and forwards for manual and auto focus and did get frustrated myself, but just checked things over and found the problem, so just check that it is in the right position.

At least you are not wasting any film!! I would just track back to start again, and take a deep breath, and practice. I cannot believe that so many EM10's would be faulty...i'm no expert but have had advice on this forum if I am stuck, but I try not to be too clever and work with what I know...where in Suffolk are you? I'm based near Ipswich, happy to meet up if you would like to...

Cheers

Peter

StephenL
4th November 2014, 07:39 AM
Just a minor correction. The 45mm does not have a pull-back focus ring. The 17mm, 12mm, and 12-40 do.

Rocknroll59
4th November 2014, 08:28 AM
Correction... sorry meant to type 17mm !! was early up this morning..thanks Stephen.

Peter

Zuiko
4th November 2014, 08:30 AM
And as for 35mm experience... I find it difficult to believe that cameras were quicker to AF back then than digital cameras are now.

Camera72 didn't say he used AF in film days, he may have used a manual focus SLR or a rangefinder. :)

Camera72
4th November 2014, 11:26 AM
Zuko is right, i used a rangefinder.

Thank you for the kind words about my photos. But its time for me to call it a day.
Just really fed up wasting my time and money on cameras that i just can't get on with.

Zuiko
4th November 2014, 12:50 PM

Thank you for the kind words about my photos. But its time for me to call it a day.
Just really fed up wasting my time and money on cameras that i just can't get on with.

Why not return to what worked for you - a film rangefinder! Plenty of cheap ones around these days but they still give excellent quality. We've even got a section of the forum dedicated to those who still shoot film so buy a scanner with the proceeds of the E-M10 and you can still participate here. :)

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Zuiko
4th November 2014, 01:08 PM
BTW - I might be wrong, but I think that one of the Fuji digitals has rangefinder focusing in the EVF for manual focusing, not sure how good it is though. And of course, a number of digital CSCs including your E-M10 have manual "focus peaking" which is a similar concept to rangefinder focusing and may be worth a try. :)

OM USer
5th November 2014, 10:26 AM
A snapshot of the screen with the button half pressed showing the white face detection square and/or the little markers showing the focus area would help along with a snaphot of the screen in playback mode showing the green focus box (in playback use the info button to show the picture in the left, the histogram underneath, and shooting info to the right).

StephenL
5th November 2014, 10:51 AM
BTW - I might be wrong, but I think that one of the Fuji digitals has rangefinder focusing in the EVF for manual focusing, not sure how good it is though.
Both the X-Pro1 and the XT-1 have this feature. However, I must confess it's not the best implementation of a focus aid I've used. Far better is the picture-in-picture, which shows a magnified view alongside the main view. And yes, the viewfinder is large enough to comfortably accommodate both!

Camera72
5th November 2014, 11:59 AM
Well i returned the camera to Wex this morning. I picked up Nikon D700, until i can afford a Leica.

I would like to take this time to thank everyone for all the help.

benvendetta
5th November 2014, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't have thought that the D700 was an ideal street camera but to each their own as they say. But the Leica..........well yes it certainly is!
For me, my E-PL5 is perfect for street (small and light).

byegad
5th November 2014, 01:47 PM
Anyone want to take a bet that he finds the Nikon is no good too?

Zuiko
5th November 2014, 02:55 PM

Let's hope this is not the case, I wish him all the best. From what we have learnt of Camera72 I think that, long term, a Leica would be the make or break solution. :)

Camera72
5th November 2014, 04:26 PM

Lol The good thing is I know the Nikon D700 back to front and I get on with really well.

Chevvyf1
5th November 2014, 05:26 PM
Bye then and I hope you find a really great forum for you and your Nikon
TBFN *chr

pvasc
6th November 2014, 08:41 AM
Lol The good thing is I know the Nikon D700 back to front and I get on with really well.

You know what? That is all that matters, you are comfortable with it. Sorry to hear that you couldn't get on with the M-10, I wish you all the best with the Nikon.

woof woof
6th November 2014, 08:47 PM
Camera72 didn't say he used AF in film days, he may have used a manual focus SLR or a rangefinder. :)

If that's the case the cameras of today can be fitted with a manual focus friendly lens and AF speed wont be any more of an issue than it was then with MF.

woof woof
6th November 2014, 08:50 PM

Why not use old manual lenses? I do :D

After a few minutes/hours getting to grips with the new focus aids such as peaking and magnified view you may be happy.

PS. See you are lusting after a Leica. MF it is then but personally I went for a combination of Micro Four Thirds and a Sony A7 and MF is a dream on both. Good luck with the Leica.