PDA

View Full Version : How Micro Four Thirds has managed to make DSLRs look big and bulky

Ian
3rd November 2008, 03:30 PM
From our sibling site, DPNow.com (http://dpnow.com):

Panasonic Lumix's first Micro Four Thirds alternative to the 'traditional' DSLR, the DMC-G1, is now on sale. We explain why the ditching of core DSLR components has enabled Panasonic to make the G1 so much smaller than a DSLR and yet retain DSLR advantages like a interchangeable lenses and a relatively large sensor.

More:

http://dpnow.com/5339.html

Ian

michaelavis
3rd November 2008, 07:59 PM
This is a really intersting direction, very logical too. Apart from the physical size, are there aspects of the design of these cameras that would infer certain characteristic either positive or negative when compared to full/dSLR FourThirds such as IQ, focussing speed or accuracy, DOF?

photo_owl
5th November 2008, 01:01 PM
This is a really intersting direction, very logical too. Apart from the physical size, are there aspects of the design of these cameras that would infer certain characteristic either positive or negative when compared to full/dSLR FourThirds such as IQ, focussing speed or accuracy, DOF?

none of the examples you give will be directly affected, and some are a fixed function of the retained components eg DOF.

the key positives are the removal of the mirror box and mechanism enables the mount to be nearer the sensor and this has significant advantages for lens design. expect smaller, faster cheaper lenses.
it should also enable quieter shutters, faster shutter speeds and possibly much faster fps modes

the key negatives may revolve around the relationships between evf, lcd and existing optical viewfinder 'experiences' - I have no doubt these will be resolved and ultimately get built on in time. as an example of the latter 'of the top of my head' would be wifi (bluetooth/whatever) connection to a viewfinder display situated in the lens of a pair of sunglasses..........

michaelavis
8th November 2008, 01:55 PM
I kind of thought there wouldn't be an underlying reason why micro 4/3rds would be less able than full 4/3rds, but was kind of hoping there would be having got so much of my hard earned invested into it :)