PDA

View Full Version : Battery pack for an FL600 ?

stevewestern
28th October 2014, 05:50 PM
Is there such a thing as an external battery pack for the FL600 ?
I used to have such a thing for my Canon 580 which was wonderful for speeding up recycling times which was wonderful for rapid shooting when shooting a small crowd - we all know how there is always one person who looks away, blinks or pulls a silly face..
I have a wedding to do in a few months which will be my first since selling up my Canon gear so am trying to prepare well in advance - if necessary I may look into getting a different flash all together - again, anyone know much about any third party flashes that would do the job ?

Many thanks for any help !

srtgray
28th October 2014, 07:48 PM
There's one for the FL-50 and 50r - the SHV1. Hard to come by though.

gphemy
28th October 2014, 08:19 PM
SHV1 was discontinued some years back. Quantum is a well known manufacturer of external battery packs which were compatible with Olympus flashguns but getting the necessary cables is all but impossible. There are Chinese clones of Quantum all over Amazon but with the same cable problem.

How about Metz for which packs and cables are available. Or the Olympus FP1 grip which has four C cells to bolster the onboard power of FL-50?

Piers

stevewestern
28th October 2014, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the replies - I assume the FL50 has a lower output than the 600, which would lessen its appeal, but are there any Metz models that can match or beat the output of the 600 and have a battery pack attached - I guess I really ought to do some research..
As for the FP1 grip - a quick google tells me it is a ridiculous amount for a battery holder and still only for the FL50. Maybe I need to tell my subjects to hold still for a moment while my flash charges up...

srtgray
28th October 2014, 10:58 PM
The 50 has a GN of 50, the GN of the 600 is only 36, so the 50 is more powerful. It lacks the LED video light, but otherwise is a better strobe.

DerekW
29th October 2014, 01:03 AM
At one time Ian was getting in the powerpack for the FL50 for rental use, I had a request in to rent it but it did not get into stock in time for me.

stevewestern
29th October 2014, 09:01 AM
The 50 has a GN of 50, the GN of the 600 is only 36, so the 50 is more powerful. It lacks the LED video light, but otherwise is a better strobe.

I had no idea that was the case - many thanks for enlightening me. As one who will never use the video light I guess I should have bought a 50 over the 600 clearly.

I'll take a look to see if Ian has or can get one for rental along with a power pack - Thanks Derek.

stevewestern
29th October 2014, 11:02 PM
I have been in touch with SRS who tell me that the battery pack for the FL50R is no longer available, but that the Metz 64AF1 is more powerful, recharges very quickly and can be used with a power pack if needed so may take a look at that - again, if anyone knows anything about this then any information is much appreciated - all I know is it looks big but pretty impressive !

gphemy
30th October 2014, 03:35 PM
I don't know anything specifically about the 64 AF, Steve, but in general I would not hesitate to recommend Metz flashguns, as they have been in the business for at least 50 years to my personal knowledge (I remember my Dad getting his Mecablitz set that long ago!). But did you see the price? 330 for the 64AF and at least the same for the add-on P76 powerpack with cable.

How much is not too much for an FP-1, I wonder?

Piers

stevewestern
30th October 2014, 04:18 PM
I did see the price Piers.. I also saw a thread in the for sale section for a Metz 58 AF2, which is now winging its way to me, and at a price that means I may be able to afford a third party battery pack too !
I too remember Metz from the days when they were massive great hammer-heads that looked as if they could double as a club if things got rough.. I won't be putting mine to that sort of use unless the kids get too annoying on Halloween...

gphemy
30th October 2014, 05:28 PM
Now that is a R E S U L T !

And indeed, there are Chinese packs aplenty on Amazon. Some of them even mention FL50 in the title, but who would have thought, they don't list the connecting cable. None of them. Nor do B&H or Adorama in US.

Good luck with the wedding.

Piers

stevewestern
30th October 2014, 08:10 PM
And indeed, there are Chinese packs aplenty on Amazon. Some of them even mention FL50 in the title, but who would have thought, they don't list the connecting cable. None of them. Nor do B&H or Adorama in US.

Good luck with the wedding.

Piers

Thanks Piers - I have only done a couple of weddings so it takes way more effort and time than it ought to, but the couple are good friends who value me me being there over the few local photographers they have met, and this is despite them seeing the quality (or not) of my photography..!

There are a couple of power packs that DO fit the Metz, but as you say, not a single one that comes with the cable for the FL50. I used to use a Canon 580 and had the battery holder (I cannot remember the model number) that held 4 extra AA batteries - it made such a difference for so many shots - motor bike Enduro events, weddings etc.
Anyway, my new flash is due to arrive tomorrow so it'll be an early Christmas present to myself, as is the 40-150 f2.8 I have also promised myself - hmm, now where am I going to find the funds for that then..?